Forum Index > Trip Reports > 5 Tigers
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 1:05 pm 
I've got some ambitious plans for this last year in my 50's, and these require more preparation then I've done over the past 10 years. This was my first training hike of the year, and instead of driving hours somewhere and contending with snow and avalanche conditions, I returned to the premiere Ultra training ground in this area, the Tiger Mountain complex. It's so much more than parking at High Point and traipsing up to West Tiger 3 like 95% of the visitors do here, although there is certainly nothing wrong with that, and I plan on doing it quite a bit myself. But one can string together great hikes exceeding 50 miles if you want, get some elevation in, and only drive 20 minutes to get there. I'll be hitting this a lot this winter, and I promise not to write trip reports every time I come up here (yawn). I wanted to share this particular sequence though as it makes for a moderate trainer that anyone can do to either get in shape or keep your legs from atrophying over the winter. Although you can park just about anywhere, I elected to park at the Chirico trailhead and started at 6:15 AM in the dark. This afforded me one of the best views at the best time....poo poo point overlooking the city lights, fantastic. I packed along coffee in a thermos and enjoyed this throughout the day. My route took me to Middle Tiger first (2607'), then over to East Tiger (3004'), then on to West Tiger 1, 2 and 3. I ran into two people on the road near East Tiger but otherwise had the day to myself, even on West Tiger 3, until I reached poo poo point at about 3 in the afternoon. It was a fine day in blustery winds and snow flurries above 2500 feet. Although it was what one might call a wet day, it never rained much and most of the moisture came from tree bombs. Stats: 18 miles and @5000' Gear: testing and tweaking foul weather gear. I wore my Arcteryx Atom LT hoody on the climb to Poo Poo Point on the Chirico trail and a bit beyond. After much research I decided to purchase a synthetic hoody vice down: lots of good contenders but after talking to a former guide (with 189 Rainier summits) I decided to go with the Arcteryx. Indeed I found that the jacket's breathability is good and it can get wet and stay functional. I wanted one that I could actually use during activity, not just at rest or to supplement my sleeping system. One drawback on this hoody is the hood....no cinching or adjustment. It sits on my face with good visibility but a little wide around the sides, so if you are facing into the wind it can blow off. ZPacks Arc Slim: only clammy at the end of the day (inside), the pack functions well in rain with taped seams and rides very comfortably. This is my third trip in it and I don't notice it on my shoulders, even when I am trotting. Lukes Ultralight Paclite mitts and pants: functional on the mitts, taped seams, but clammy at the end of the day. Kept my hands warm though. The gauntlet part is actually too short and it is not a one handed operation to cinch them up. The rain pants I wore once I started the descent from the last summit, West Tiger 3. Seam sealed with ankle zips, kept my pants dry through the overhanging brush. Good deal too. Plans: 7-10 day Cougar Traverse/3-4 day Glacier circumnavigation/1-3 day Wonderland/revisit Columbia Crest per deal with Cascade Climber, though I might make him go with me up the Fuhrer Finger. Based on how trashed I felt following this hike, I have a ways to go to establish the margin needed for these events. I have 10-12 pounds to lose, ever harder as I age. I will need to train Ultra style. I need to avoid injury. But it's nice to have some goals, and despite being slightly sore I feel pretty good today, so hopefully I've got it in me.
summit Middle Tiger
summit Middle Tiger
summit #2 East Tiger
summit #2 East Tiger
summit #3 West Tiger 1
summit #3 West Tiger 1
summit #4 West Tiger 2
summit #4 West Tiger 2
summit #5 West Tiger 3
summit #5 West Tiger 3
Tiger Mtn new signs
Tiger Mtn new signs

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 1:24 pm 
I look forward to hearing about your progress and seeing how this all works out. Good luck and stay healthy.

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 2:04 pm 

Back to top Reply to topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 5:59 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
That Cougar Traverse sounds like a beast, definitely looking forward to learning more about that one.
I have yet to find a report of someone doing it, besides Mike Woodmansee. This is at the top of my hit list for next year, either solo or with my daughter. Biggest hurdle is food planning for 240 miles with no resupply. And my daughter eats like a horse.....

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Jan 10, 2014 6:33 pm 
Is an air drop or horsepacking support possible? Many folks here will have hiked some or all of that route on separate outings.

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
Is an air drop or horsepacking support possible?
That's cheating.....part of the challenge is doing everything unsupported, unless one is doing a long trail of course.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jan 11, 2014 2:41 pm 
great goals........ up.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Oliver

Oliver
PostSat Jan 11, 2014 4:47 pm 
Awesome! Nothing like an ambitious day out so close to home.

Type E

Type E
PostSun Jan 12, 2014 10:40 am 
glad to see someone else using the Tiger Complex to ward off apathy. I seem to be able to find a loop; leaving from Tiger Mt Road that suits any of my purposes. E

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 5:38 pm 
The Cougar Traverse seems pretty cool -- it also seems like one could easily pick up a food drop either Iron Gate or Andrews creek to lower carried wieght on the 1st portion of the trek. Caching within the wilderness boundaries isn't permitted -- but I wonder if you could park a car at the Iron-Gate or Andrews-Creek trailhead with a food drop locked inside without upsetting the rangers. Of course that wouldn't be quite as pure...