Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > REI gets new CEO...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostSun Jan 12, 2014 7:15 pm 
...what should they do? uhh.gif What changes, if any, would you want new CEO Jerry Stritzke to implement?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSun Jan 12, 2014 9:08 pm 
1. Pay Monika Johnson's estate immediately. 2. Get back to being a co-op for climbers and quit being Eddie Bauer.

If not now, when?
SergioNapelo

SergioNapelo
PostSun Jan 12, 2014 9:30 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
2. Get back to being a co-op for climbers and quit being Eddie Bauer
That will never happen... any small business when started, focuses on people, then when it grows big, it shifts its focus on money. (even when big business talks about people, it is just marketing, to get more money). And REI is mainly about money today, it is a big business.

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains. From where shall my help come. My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth!" - David, King of Israel 1,000 BC
peppersteak'n'ale

peppersteak'n'ale
PostSun Jan 12, 2014 9:33 pm 
If there was a "Like" button on this site for the second comment, I would click it up.gif REI has become too much of a fashion show

contour5

contour5
PostSun Jan 12, 2014 9:44 pm 
Bringing back the lenient return policy would be nice, but I don't expect to see that happen. Probably see more moves toward the Gucci/Prada model of overpriced elite stylewear accoutrements- Super bling-bling Louis Vuitton hiking slippers with titanium mesh laces for like $9,000 a pair. . Diamond studded locator beacons, REI-branded Rolexes, maybe a carbon fiber Mercedes SUV done as an "REI Edition" to compete with EB.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Jan 12, 2014 10:09 pm 
More realistically, I'd like to see them work with schools on getting kids outdoors more often. It's good for their bottom line (builds a future customer base), and it's good for the kids.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 7:58 am 
Quote:
REI has become too much of a fashion show
and yet they do not know how to construct clothing for larger, shapely women ( you know, hips) . they somehow think that larger women ( I mean size 14 folks) are also 6 feet tall I am 5'7" and the pants are either high-water (fashion) or flop down over my instep I agree as well, outreach to underserved children getting them into the "wilderness" That could be a large park like Bridle Trails or Cougar Mountain Wildland Park

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 am 
contour5 wrote:
Bringing back the lenient return policy would be nice, but I don't expect to see that happen. Probably see more moves toward the Gucci/Prada model of overpriced elite stylewear accoutrements- Super bling-bling Louis Vuitton hiking slippers with titanium mesh laces for like $9,000 a pair. . Diamond studded locator beacons, REI-branded Rolexes, maybe a carbon fiber Mercedes SUV done as an "REI Edition" to compete with EB.
They did that to save money. They're a co-op. They said a few bad apples were raising prices for everybody. So now they should lower prices!

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 10:11 am 
cairn builder wrote:
They did that to save money. They're a co-op. They said a few bad apples were raising prices for everybody. So now they should lower prices!
Yea like that will ever happen... lol.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 11:03 am 
Drone delivery to where ever you want, more overpriced things that say "life is good" on them, and bigger rebates.

wolffie

wolffie
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 11:19 am 
"...a lawyer by training, brings a different background to REI. He was the No. 2 executive of publicly traded Coach for more than five years. Before then, he held a number of top posts at Limited Brands in Columbus, Ohio, including a stint as COO of Victoria’s Secret...." Why am I not optimisitc? When I buy boots, backpack, and clothing, I don't want to be paying for a store that would make a French whorehouse blush, and a marketing system that makes me feel... dirty. REI is a classic example of a grassroots institution coopted by The System. It hasn't deserved the name "co-op" for 35 years. I admit to buying stuff there still, but I've had to return 2 of the last 4 major purchases -- the boots and the REI backpack just fell apart -- most of my stuff comes from elsewhere. They are all about money and marketing and very little about design, quality, and value.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am 
meandering Wa wrote:
Quote:
REI has become too much of a fashion show
and yet they do not know how to construct clothing for larger, shapely women ( you know, hips) . they somehow think that larger women ( I mean size 14 folks) are also 6 feet tall I am 5'7" and the pants are either high-water (fashion) or flop down over my instep I agree as well, outreach to underserved children getting them into the "wilderness" That could be a large park like Bridle Trails or Cougar Mountain Wildland Park
Don't you know? If you aren't already skinny, you obviously have no business being in the outdoors. rolleyes.gif It's OK for big men, but only skinny wimmins are allowed... I often find myself thinking about a bigger line of women's clothes. We fat women like to venture out too. If only I could sew better and design.... This is not only an REI problem, it is the whole outdoor clothing industry--except for a few niches. Yet, we men and women get fatter... I'm working on shrinking, but will never be small enough to fit in all those fashionable clothes. LL Bean has kind of turned a corner and has more stuff in fat sizes. REI started out as a climbing stuff only place? In the 70s, we lowly backpackers could find gear in the catalog.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 1:24 pm 
I think there should be a NWhikers board for REI. The number of votes you get is proportional to the number of posts on NWhikers. Touron gets his votes plus mgd's votes, of course. Then we know it will be run the right way. Another method is if some NWhikers start a new coop. Keep it small, no profit as a pure coop, and only great gear with a 100% guarantee it will last forever and weigh practically nothing. The only problem is everyone would be so busy running it, they wouldn't have time to post here, and NWhikers would wither away. Then who would run it? Uh-oh, a conundrum.

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 7:35 pm 
For the most part REI's own brand stuff is medium quality. I think it's meant to be used around town, where a failure won't be so awful, or by people who hike Wallace Falls and Tiger Mountain, for the same reason. Had an REI backpack that lasted forever, but at 30 L it wouldn't hold 10 lbs comfortably. Finally gave it up after too many days that ended in sore backs. Had a pair of their pants fail in the BC when the zipper have up the ghost, finished the hike wearing them as shorts. Socks developed holes quickly. Shirts were fine but just not very good. Jacket developed a leak. Mind you this is the objectionable part of 15 years of experience with them. I pay more for things at REI than I could online because their guarantee is like insurance and their prices are the premium.Plus I can try things on before I make up my mind. Don't buy their house brand anymore except ironically for pants. Sometimes I can find something I need on clearance there. Great deals in returned merchandise.

touron

touron
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 8:05 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I think there should be a NWhikers board for REI. The number of votes you get is proportional to the number of posts on NWhikers. Touron gets his votes plus mgd's votes, of course. Then we know it will be run the right way. Another method is if some NWhikers start a new coop. Keep it small, no profit as a pure coop, and only great gear with a 100% guarantee it will last forever and weigh practically nothing. The only problem is everyone would be so busy running it, they wouldn't have time to post here, and NWhikers would wither away. Then who would run it? Uh-oh, a conundrum.
This is the best post of the new year, at least the third sentence of the first paragraph is. If I tripled my number of posts I could be the chairman of the board. I would cut prices, raise wages, improve quality, and offer extra days vacation for those that wanted to try out gear. Every employee would get a pack of chukar cherries on Christmas Day, and all customers whose nwhiker names were not an oxymoron would get double their usual dividend. Free trail park passes would be available for anyone who knew how to spell REI. And a book containing all of the previous year's trip reports with photos would be given free to the first 10 callers.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.