Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > REI gets new CEO...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 10:26 pm 
I have a generally favorable view of REI, and I shop there as a result. I have a slightly negative to indifferent view of most REI brand items. So I mostly get other things there. My water purifier, stove, backpack, puffy, and tent came from REI. Bag was from Western. It's a shame REI carries so much North Face and Nike and doesn't sell top of the line stuff like WM jackets. The main thing is if I ever have a problem with anything they ever sold me, they'll make it right. I know that's not exactly true anymore, after a decade and a half being a member there it's still a shock. I don't even use their return policy much, I like knowing I'll be taken care of if there's ever an egregious problem, I won't be left high and dry. I don't know who this lady is that people are talking about. Some background may be in order.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
I don't know who this lady is that people are talking about. Some background may be in order.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=monica+johnson+rei

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 pm 
MSR was founded by Larry Penberthy in the late 60's after REI sold defective locking carabiners in a box at the register marked "not for climbing" and refused to stop selling wood handled ice axes that rangers were breaking at paradise. He first sold fiberglass reinforcing kits then designed his own aluminum axes for$10 and drove the wood axes off the market, an admirable example of free enterprise in action. biggrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Jan 16, 2014 7:16 am 
REI disgusts me. I do all my shopping at Walmart now.

PostThu Jan 16, 2014 9:11 am 
Daryl wrote:
REI disgusts me. I do all my shopping at Walmart now.
Yes, but the quality is slightly better at REI.

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Jan 16, 2014 1:17 pm 
Maybe it’s easier to understand REI’s transition with the unfortunate demise of MMW. I think Cascade Climber has a good handle on it especially with the internet which is a main driver in the direction REI is going with the push for more distribution hubs for faster online delivery and including store inventory to fill online orders. I agree REI has changed but there is very little profit motive differential between a non-profit and a regular corporation, it’s basically just who owns the company and shares the profits. Whether we like it or not the outdoor industry is a national/world economy and a business can be a well-run innovative cottage industry or startup as previously mentioned in a previous post or I think you have to be big. A company like Marmot Mountain Works or Wilderness Sports would have a hard time these days. I hope Pro Mountain Sports continues although I am more optimistic about Feathered Friends because of their down manufacturing.

trestle

trestle
PostThu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 pm 
Did something happen to MMW?

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostThu Jan 16, 2014 2:24 pm 
I’m so glad Walmart is such a blessing to all the small businesses in the communities where it opens stores and it a leader in gender equality, salary, and benefits for it’s’ store employees.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 16, 2014 5:12 pm 
Slide Alder Slayer wrote:
the unfortunate demise of MMW
I suspect that the demise of MMW has more to with Backcountry.com that with REI and REI.COM REI in recent decades hasn't offered the best selection of climbing or backcountry ski touring equipment. In terms of skiing REI has had a larger selection of downhill skiing and snowboarding gear than backcountry ski touring equipment. Certainly since the '80s REI has much more focused on the mainstream people -- people that hike a dozen times a year, ski at resorts and climb Mt Rainier maybe once in a lifetime.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Jan 16, 2014 8:57 pm 
I got a response to my recent email to REI today. They say they settled with Monika's estate "some time ago" (must have been between May and now). I'm still not okay with this resolution taking six years, but at least it's settled (or at least REI says it is).

If not now, when?
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Jan 16, 2014 10:03 pm 
I no longer shop at REI unless I need to borrow something for less than 30 days and I don't have a friend who can loan it. wink.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jan 17, 2014 7:39 am 
Layback wrote:
I no longer shop at REI unless I need to borrow something for less than 30 days and I don't have a friend who can loan it. wink.gif
I hear ya.. I only rob banks when I get low on money. lol.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostFri Jan 17, 2014 8:24 am 
tigermn wrote:
Layback wrote:
I hear ya.. I only rob banks when I get low on money. lol.gif
Insurance fraud and identity theft is much safer and easier.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostFri Jan 17, 2014 10:30 am 
The Downtown REI seems more like a pick-up bar than an outdoor retailer.
Layback wrote:
actually, REI is where you go to look at/try on the item before you buy it elsewhere at 1/2 the price and with the same return policy now that REI dropped their #1 selling point - confidence in the purchase no matter what. They are just like Guitar Center, 90% of their stock is cheap student instruments for the masses. GC has like 10 real professional instruments that they keep locked up behind the counter so no one can touch them. Similar employee attitude - they are rock stars!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Jan 17, 2014 2:05 pm 
I was just at REI yesterday. Picked up a barely used pair of Merrell goretex trail runners in the gear garage for $35. Return reason on the tag: "Footbed hurts feet." I put them on as soon as I got home and went for a 3 mile walk with my dog and found them extremely comfortable. Unfortunately, not one woman there tried to pick me up. I'd love to have an attractive hiker girl flirt with me at REI, but it's never happened. Maybe they should start serving beer. Bought my last backpack there too, an ultralight Osprey. Waited 'til it went on sale. I don't get all the hate. REI is a big outdoor retailer, like many others. I've bought many things from them throughout the years and probably will buy many more things. I've never cared all that much about their guarantee 'cause I make sure the clothes/shoes I buy fit right before I pay for them and I'm not the type to take something back if it breaks after a couple years of hard use. Face it - the days of REI being a small, niche retailer with highly knowledgeable staff are long, long gone, never to return. such retailers are an endangered species as we've seen most recently with MMW closing. You can pine for the days of yore or you can live in the present. I know which i prefer.