Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lame Venue
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 12:13 pm 
Went to the comedy club in Pioneer Square one night a couple weeks ago, what a waste of time/money. My son thought it was quite entertaining, I thought it was QU (quite uninteresting). blah.gif The good thing was that the parking was easy and close enough, and the car was still un-molested when we returned a few hours later.... paranoid.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 1:58 pm 
Anybody try out the Comedy Club in Kirkland. Embarrassed to say its less than a mile from my house and I have never been to it. I am wondering if I am missing anything? Free parking.

friluftsliv
cairn builder

cairn builder
PostMon Jan 13, 2014 7:45 pm 
Amazing you found parking within a day hike of Pioneer Square. Seattle tows cars for profit, so be sure to only ever park legally. I say this because you're from North Korea where I assume this doesn't happen.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 2:57 pm 
Moonspots - what was your specific complaint? If it was that the comics simply weren't funny to you that night, well, going to comedy clubs is kind of a crapshoot in that regard. Unless you're going to see someone you specifically know you like, you never know what you're going to get. Pioneer Square has really taken a downturn in the last 5 years or so. Used to be a lot of nightclubs and other stuff going on down there, now not so much. I think Elliot Bay Books leaving kind of drove a nail in that coffin. Now it's bum central and I pretty much avoid that area.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 3:34 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Moonspots - what was your specific complaint?
Aw well, the material wasn't all that funny (I don't find discourse on homosexual activity all that interesting). That and humor based almost entirely on vulgarity instead of content and delivery, really isn't all that funny. Occasionally yeah, but not the entire evening. I've been to some comedy clubs that really had funny entertainers, this one just wasn't one of them. It was an interesting experience though. Paid the parking meter even though most places (that I go) don't require it after normal business hours, but then I don't always know how things are done in big cities. All said, I really do enjoy visiting Seattle, lots of variety.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 3:36 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
...because you're from North Korea...
lol.gif Don't know if that was your computer/phone doing your spell-check for ya or a mistake, or what. But it cracked me up.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 4:00 pm 
moonspots wrote:
I've been to some comedy clubs that really had funny entertainers, this one just wasn't one of them.
You do realize that their comics come and go, right? Like I said, it's kind of a crapshoot, you never know what you're going to get because the lineup changes so often. There are a lot of lame "no-name" comics out there and some pretty funny ones. It's too bad you went on a night when the lame ones were featured. I've seen some pretty funny people there, and some not funny at all ones. You roll the dice and take your chances. I agree with you that plain vulgarity isn't really funny. I attempted to watch Katt Williams on TV the other night 'cause hey, he's supposed to be pretty popular. Seemed his shtick is based on how many swear words he can mix in between saying "nigger" and how much stereotyping he can do. I didn't laugh once and changed the channel after about ten minutes. Will there ever be another George Carlin? Or Mitch Hedberg? Funniest show I've seen in a long time was Stephen Lynch at the Neptune last year. He's too big for the little comedy clubs, 'cause he's actually funny.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 8:09 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Or Mitch Hedberg?
Don't know why exactly, but that guy REALLY made me laugh sometimes!

ScottP

ScottP
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 10:11 pm 
I saw Mitch Hedberg at The Paramount a couple of months before he died. He was so drunk he couldn't even properly read his jokes out of the notebook he was carrying around onstage. It was really sad.