Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Bikes in Wilderness - Let's Get Touchy Feely
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TrailLover

TrailLover
PostTue Jan 14, 2014 11:34 pm 
The question of potentially allowing bicycles in federally designated Wilderness (they are currently excluded) has popped up before, most recently in a separate string focused on the prospect of bicycles on the Pacific Crest Trail. In an effort to keep that string focused on the PCT, and with a desire to hear what people think about bicycles in the backcountry more generally, I thought I should start a fresh discussion on the topic. My goal is to learn more about people's personal feelings regarding bicycles. I'd like to hear about individual reactions, perceptions and expectations when considering the idea of possibly encountering legal cyclists in some of our most wild places. I'd like to avoid discussions of politics, legal matters, history of the Wilderness Act, the intent of early conservationists, etc. Those things can be discussed separately. Of course, all of those things may inform the personal views, feelings and expectations of individuals, so it's bound to be hard to keep policy issues out of it. But maybe we can try. In fact, for the purpose of this discussion maybe we don't even need to think about Wilderness (meaning federally designated Wilderness) at all. It's really a question of how people feel about encountering bicycles in our most remote places. While there certainly are remote and undeveloped places that are not designated as Wilderness, federally designated Wilderness has become a kind of shorthand for many of the most undeveloped areas. So whether it's federally designated Wilderness or just your favorite remote spot, what would or wouldn't it mean to you and your experience if some of the trail users you encountered were riding (or pushing) bicycles? In some non-Wilderness places, bicycles may already be allowed. How does it effect you when you encounter them? Why? Do your expectations match your actual experience?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
contour5

contour5
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 2:02 am 
Quote:
My goal is to learn more about people's personal feelings regarding bicycles. I'd like to hear about individual reactions, perceptions and expectations when considering the idea of possibly encountering legal cyclists in some of our most wild places.
Icky. Icky poo poo. Keep 'em out: shoot 'em in the face if necessary. Bikes are out of place on our wilderness trails. A new thread is not needed. Sorry, you can't wreck our hiking trails with your supermacho stupidity bs, no matter which flavor you pretend it is; bikes are not welcome on the PCT or any of our wilderness trails. Stupidmacho is the opposite of wilderness. Build your own trails for the stupidmacho championships. I will support it and vote tax dollars for the stupidness. But I will fight you if you try to trash our hiking trails. Those are my personal feelings.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 7:38 am 
Being lazy, I can't think of many trails in the wilderness that I'd care to have to work that hard to peddle on. They are steep, they have scary dropoffs, and I'd be walking and pushing my bike. I could see getting a ride up the chairlift to the Goat Rocks and riding the PCT. I guess the north part from White Pass wouldn't be that hard either. Labeling bike riders as "stupid macho" is well, kind of, well, stupid. I have never met a bicycle rider on any of the legal to ride them on trails here. I seldom meet anybody on trails here. So, I have no experience with the subject. I'll bet that the non wilderness bike legal trails here are more wildernessy than the ones near that large population center. You might have some problem with the pumice soils. It would be nice for people with foot and leg problems to have an option besides riding a horse. Stereotypes abound. I have not met up with any rude motorcycle riders either. They've been polite, and I've been polite back. A more worthy cause would be to allow chainsaws in the wilderness for a week of trail clearing. I'd buy a box of earplugs to hand out at the trailheads. That won't happen either.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
HunterConservationist

HunterConservationist
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 8:25 am 
I don't really care if bicycles are on trails. Like has already been said, I don't know why they would want to be on most of them. What I would like to see is pushcarts allowed in wilderness areas. They are a traditional technology and removing the monopoly of horses and packers would be nice.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 9:03 am 
treeswarper wrote:
I have not met up with any rude motorcycle riders either.
Met enough rude MB riders for my mind to be made up: keep 'em out! There are already alpine trails for them to ride on. Let 'em ride at ski areas or something. Bicycles are incompatible with the who idea of wilderness. Of course, someone will say (as Traillover did before) that 4-8 mph is not disturbing to the wildlife, to which I say B.S. It's definitely disturbing to those who seek wilderness for a reprieve from the fast pace of everyday life. Like I said, there are ample places for MBers to spoil the pristine quality of the high country by their presence. The idea of using the PCT and DESIGNATED wilderness as their playground in addition to those areas is an unreasonable encroachment.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 9:31 am 
TrailLover wrote:
My goal is to learn more about people's personal feelings regarding bicycles.
Activities that have dramatically different speeds do not coexist well on the same trails. I imagine bicyclists would feel the same about their single-tracks being shared with motorcycles. Edit to fix "haven't had enough coffee yet" non-sensical sentence

If not now, when?
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 9:49 am 
FWIW: Ask the same question on mtbr.com and you'll get very different responses. Just sayin'. When I'm queen of the universe.... rude bikers, hateful hikers, hunters that leave their crap strewn out all over the place, and horsemen that blame the universe at large for their lack of beast-training will all be banished to an asteroid somewhere in the outer solar system. The rest of us will coexist just fine together, and we'll finally be done with this discussion. P.S. StupidMacho?!? Nobody sent me the memo, must be Doing It Wrong again....

~Mom jeans on wheels
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 9:57 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
I imagine bicyclists would feel the same about their single-tracks being shared with motorcycles.
It's nice to get away from the motos just to avoid the trail chow, moon dust, etc. HOWEVER, my experience with these guys out in the Taneum & Teanaway has always been super positive. Right now we have hundreds of miles of trails in the Cle Elum district that is basically being maintained by a moto volunteer army, and they've put in thousands of hours and gallons and gallons of saw and bike gas every year making sure stuff is passable. We've noticed many non-moto trails in the district have been suffering by comparison. A bunch of us MTB dirtbags in Kittitas Co are currently working on reaching out to the local FS so that we might be able to knock out more work on non moto/MTB legal trails... although in fairness, that inventory is pretty limited in this district. Still, that stuff should go fast if we can drag a couple saws et al up in BOB trailers.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 10:19 am 
Wilderness or not -- mixing mountain bikers and hikers on the same trails is often messy. I recall it being pretty nasty on Tiger Mountain in the '80s. Certainly much of the conflict was due to a minority of users (either on foot or on wheels) being inconsiderate jerks. With Tiger Mtn what developed was seperate trails on different sides of the mountain for wheeled and booted travelers. On Grand Ridge a new park with Mountain Bike specific trails has been developed -- these trails feature banked turns, jumps and other obstacles that providing a fun and challenging riding environment. Trails with those improvements are designated "biker only" and "one way" so that cyclists can ride full tilt on those trails without having to worry about colliding with a pack of hikers. I feel like this agenda about being able to ride a bike in a designated wilderness is TrailLover being obsessed with the one thing he or she cannot have. The Wilderness Act contains the langauge "Untrammeled by man" -- one of the goals of the act is have a few remaining bits of a wild natural environment left. So along with no bikes to ease access -- this also means no chainsaws for clearing blowdowns and when a flood washes away a bridge over a river the forest service can't just helicopter in a new bridge. Certainly this makes accessing all parts of the wilderness more difficult -- but I think that is actually the intent of the wilderness act.

TrailLover

TrailLover
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 10:51 am 
cascadeclimber wrote:
Activities that happen and dramatically different speeds do not coexist well on the same trails.
I'm always interested in this kind of statement. Can I assume this is based on your own personal experience of being scared, injured or otherwise offended in some specific incidents?
cascadeclimber wrote:
I imagine bicyclists would feel the same about their single-tracks being shared with motorcycles.
Even though bicycles, hikers and even motorcycles do co-exist pretty well in some places, I think you're right that cyclists would often object to including motorcycles on many narrow trails for the same reasons that hikers would. But is it a really good comparison to bicycles? Aside from the obvious noise issue, there's a lot of trail that can sustainably accommodate bicycle and foot traffic but would plainly suffer if motors were allowed. Also, even on the most quiet motorbike, riders are generally limited to visual cues to alert them to the presence of other trail users. Not so with bicycles. My experience on trails where I hear a motor approaching and I think the rider is unaware of me is a little uncomfortable. I'm sure some hikers feel the same about bicycles. I don't know what kind of data may exist regarding actual collisions or incidents between motors and other users but I do know that the lack of data regarding bicycle incidents is something that gives me comfort when I'm hiking a trail where bicycles may be present.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 am 
It tends to change a place when it is accessible w/in one day from a road versus multiple days (or 2 hours versus 8 hours). I like that there are some places that will remain more remote as a result of the maximum speed of travel for most humans (yes, ultra runners and ultra hikers who mostly run will sometimes appear, but I've not encountered many of them except on some close-in and already-popular hikes like Cougar, Tiger, Si...). It's also cool that there are some places where folks can make deep forays more quickly via bicycle, but I'm glad that there are spots where they can't. I've had bikes pass me on the trail where it's been no big deal (e.g. just this past July on the way to Navaho Pass, with folks coming uphill at a very slow rate) and have had people come by at fairly high rates around blind corners in some more local parks, and I've had them come by at even higher rates of speed in evenings as well as in full-on-dark at night out on the Tolt Pipeline. While I don't begrudge them the access in any of these cases (in fact I've ridden my own mtn bike in the same parks as well as on the Tolt), it is not a pleasant experience. Some of the folks on the Tolt in particular seem clueless about the value of slowing down and giving a bit of a berth to walkers (we do get off the smooth part of the road when we hear them, though sometimes they come up rather quickly on the hills...); even if this is a minority, it makes the encounters with even the more careful and respectful folks a bit more nerve-wracking, particularly on their downhill stretches. Since I'm usually also walking a dog, that adds to the challenge for me. I like that there are places where I can hike where I have next to zero concern about this, even on moderate well-graded trails that I know would be fun for biking too. I'm sure there are people who feel the same about their ability to avoid me and my leashed dog by going into national parks.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 am 
TrailLover wrote:
when I'm hiking a trail where bicycles may be present
Hey - you're a hiker too! You should post some trip reports here, and share some of your hiking vibe on the site.

HunterConservationist

HunterConservationist
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 am 
un·tram·meled (n-trmld) adj. Not limited or restricted; unrestrained. Kind of a weird word if that's what's in the law. Untrammeled by man would seem to mean not limited by man or not restrained by man. I'm not really sure that chainsaws or bicycles or hand carts or high tech hiking gear "trammels" wilderness. I don't think the idea was to restrain man FROM access to the wilderness either.

TrailLover

TrailLover
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:24 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
I feel like this agenda about being able to ride a bike in a designated wilderness is TrailLover being obsessed with the one thing he or she cannot have.
That's sort of true but it begs a little clarification. It's not the "one thing" I can't have - it's the millions of things and the thousands of miles of trails I can't have. I'm guessing I'm not the only one on this site who is "obsessed" with wanting to experience the backcountry. I also want places where I can hike without having to think about bicycles, but sweeping prohibitions like Wilderness (and this is similar to the PCT discussion) seem like too blunt of a tool. Maybe we can agree that there are some places that shouldn't be visited even by boots. Would it be smart or acceptable to say that the no-boots line should be drawn around 100% of federally owned land? Of course not. Too broad a restriction. Too blunt. That doesn't mean that some of the federal land should have a no-boots rule, but aren't we motivated and smart enough to figure out where those places should be? That, I think, is the main source of consternation for cyclists.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2014 11:29 am 
Well, I'm not going to argue. You asked for a touchy feely discussion and asked for people's personal takes. It doesn't seem in the spirit of the OP for you to then pick each reply apart...