Forum Index > Partners > Mt St Helens Winter 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mtnman4ever

mtnman4ever
PostFri Jan 17, 2014 3:07 pm 
Hey everyone! I'm looking for climbing partners to climb Mt. St Helens in the winter. I have done it in March and it was beautiful! With almost a year behind my back I have gained a lot of experience in the outdoors. I have all the equipment. We could car camp at the parking lot or camp out somewhere on the mountain. I do not ski. I can borrow a car for the trip but they really do not plow the road every day..so the option of a "snow" "no snow" road can be up in the air. It is a great climb to prepare you for Adams or Rainier. Let me know if you are interested! Weather dependent of course! Thanks NWhikers! Darren
This would be one of the many views up there!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ocean_eyed_devil

ocean_eyed_devil
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 11:01 am 
Hey, man. I would love to climb St. Helens with you. I was going to go a few weekends ago but wasnt able to get a car that can make it through the snow. Im free pretty much any weekend so long as i have a few days warning so let me know if you want to go.

ramkathi
Ram

ramkathi
Ram
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 3:50 pm 
how is it looking for this week, any recent reports?

Rather be in a Mountain Jungle than inside 4 walls of concrete jungle.
mtnman4ever

mtnman4ever
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 5:34 pm 
Friday through Sunday looks good. the freezing elevation looks to be around 9000-10,000 feet. snow may be hard enough for snowshoers and definitely crampons higher up. one fellow did a ski run and he said it looked good. not as much snow as there was last year..maybe 3 inches at marble mountain snow park.

ramkathi
Ram

ramkathi
Ram
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 5:42 pm 
do you want to join us , we are group of people trying to summit this weekend. i spoke to ranger , exactly same as you mentioned, we are planning to camp and try summit on sunday. may be we can meet on the mountain smile.gif. will see u there

Rather be in a Mountain Jungle than inside 4 walls of concrete jungle.
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 6:54 pm 
Quote:
the freezing elevation looks to be around 9000-10,000 feet. snow may be hard enough for snowshoers and definitely crampons higher up. one fellow did a ski run and he said it looked good. not as much snow as there was last year..maybe 3 inches at marble mountain snow park.
If snow conditions haven't changed from a couple weeks ago (and I doubt they have), I very much doubt you will need snowshoes. There was barely a lick of snow at the trailhead. See my report here.
Quote:
I was going to go a few weekends ago but wasnt able to get a car that can make it through the snow.
Huh? The road was completely clear when I was there. It was like a summer drive.

seabadge

seabadge
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 1:14 pm 
Quote:
If snow conditions haven't changed from a couple weeks ago (and I doubt they have), I very much doubt you will need snowshoes. There was barely a lick of snow at the trailhead.
I made an attempt on 1/19. Road was perfectly clear, minus heavy fog. I started around 7:30AM and was heading down around 12PM. During this time of day, I found that the snowshoes were extremely helpful from above the treeline. I would even argue they were necessary... I used my snowshoes more than crampons on this trip. I suppose you could avoid the slush and cut over to the rocky ridges at around 4k-4.7k feet, but I prefer snow over loose volcanic rock.

mtnman4ever

mtnman4ever
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 2:38 pm 
Thanks seabadge for the info! I'm not going up this weekend but I'm still looking forward to getting back up there this winter!