Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snoqualmie Mt, Bandera Mt, 1.18.2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Jan 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
Not a successful summit of both but I'll just combine the two for a conditions update. Aimed for Snoqualmie Peak today and braved the crowd of skiers at Alpental. Already at 8am the lot was nearly full. Followed some footprints up the regular route which quickly disappeared into a field of slide alder. Much less snow that I'd expected, not enough to cover the alder or creek bed. I'd brought snowshoes and full crampons based on the NWAC warning of icy conditions. The crampons were more useful on the icy surface crust. Unfortunately this crust wasn't thick enough to hold my weight and I'd often break through hip deep into tree wells or voids. I climbed up around 800 ft before turning back, not wanting to risk reinjuring my shoulder or falling into a hole I couldn't climb out of. Instead I detoured down to Bandera. No snow at all on the trail until the point where switchbacks begin. From here to the boulder field it's only spotty snow and easily traversed. I put on microspikes going up the slope from the Bandera/Mason junction. Spring-like conditions including the temperature! The icy crust was present here too but breaking through only postholed to near knee deep, much less annoying. Higher on the ridge there were several patches of thicker ice. I claimed the summit and planted my Seahawks flag, settling in for a nice stay on top. It was 37 degrees when I left Seattle and 60 on the top with only a mild wind. Great views to Rainier, Adams, and Baker. A nice consolation after turning back from Snoqualmie. My only goal for the day anyway was to plant my Seahawks flag on the summit of any peak higher than 4900 ft anyway. hockeygrin.gif
Alpental
Alpental
Nasty conditions
Nasty conditions
Above the fog
Above the fog
Hair ice
Hair ice
Trail to Mason Lake
Trail to Mason Lake
Is this spring?
Is this spring?
Neat clouds
Neat clouds
Icy upper slopes
Icy upper slopes
Rainier
Rainier
12th mountain man
12th mountain man
I90
I90
Bandera summit
Bandera summit

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
watsonskipsmith

watsonskipsmith
PostSat Jan 18, 2014 10:27 pm 
12th man at whistler!
GOOOO SEEEAHAAAAWKS!!!

wolffie

wolffie
PostSat Jan 18, 2014 10:56 pm 
Do you ever use the Commonwealth Basin approach over the Cave Ridge saddle? No cars, no crowds, little foot traffic. Snoqualmie has a worthwhile sub-summit leading off towards Lundin and maybe Red. Room to play around Cave Ridge, or wander out Commonwealth Basin. Snoqualmie's summits are corgi-friendly in congenial conditions. The Hair ice is beautiful. Not sure I've seen it before this year.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSat Jan 18, 2014 11:06 pm 
I've been up to Cave Ridge via Commonwealth but not on to Snoqualmie. I'd figured with the new snow some backcountry skiers would have been up there during the week and kicked in some nice steps but there was no sign of anyone going up there recently. Conditions were just really crummy today on the lower slopes, I'm assuming better on the ridge. I probably could have made it but I'm still playing it very safe another month or two, and had to be back early. The two guys ahead of me kept on going. Hope they made it.

wolfs

wolfs
PostSun Jan 19, 2014 12:08 pm 
Cool hair ice photo! Hair ice is weird stuff.