Forum Index > Trail Talk > favorite tips and tricks? (gear,clothing ,food..)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 12:56 pm 
Use your pack as a pillow if you're a side-sleeper. ccclimber's suggestion of socks in sleeping bag with you works well. I put them down at stomach level though as I tend to roll around a lot at night. They're dry and warm in the morning.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 am 
this was brought up a while ago....aLoksak...heavy duty but still light ziplok style bags....should last a lot longer! pricey at 12$ for 4 but one lg. one for clothes and the rest for miscl. or food storage....there is a u-tube vid....

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 10:52 am 
ShamWow > sponge for wiping condensation from inside of tent "Canteen cooking" -- never heard that term before, but been doing it for years: pour boiling water into insulated cup with noodles, minute rice, Stove Top Stuffing, etc., etc., etc., let sit sealed for a few minutes to passively cook. Saves fuel, no messy pots to clean up, allows you to carry a super efficient boil stove, e.g., Reactor, JB Sol. Make super duper lightweight passive cooker by surrounding all sides of big SnowPeak titanium cup with closed cell foam, help by fiber tape and Gorilla Glue. Be sure to glue discs of CCF on the lid and bottom of cup to get 100% insulated. Seal lid with flat elastic loop during passive cooking. This is the most weight/volume efficient and effective passive cooker I've ever used. Doubles as eating utentsil/tea cup. Uwajimaya Asian grocery is a great source for food, the path to giving up freeze dried food forever. 100s of ramen noodles, most much better than yucky grocery store ramen, and many other packable goodies. olive oil = dense calories, easy to carry, doesn't go bad, healthier than other fat sources Quaker instant grits + Costco bacon bits + olive oil or shredded cheese + salt/pepper = our favorite backpacking breakfast For snow camps without a liquid water source, pack a black plastic bag, fill with snow, place on dark colored rocks or, if there aren't any rocks around, on a sleeping pad. Sun melts snow fast. This method can save lots of fuel.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 11:10 am 
For 3-season backpacking: Bring a large collapsible container for water. That way you make only one trip to the lake/stream for water so you don't wear a path from camp. Also...it is just handy to have water on demand in camp. I like the Platypus zip style containers as they open wide for easy filling and roll up small when you pack up.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Conifers

Conifers
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 11:29 am 
Bulk dehydrated refried beans + tortillas.

DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 3:30 pm 
herdingcats wrote:
For those of you that work with Scout groups, the single-greatest sanity saver I ever learned was to keep the slowest kid in the front of a hiking line, and the fastest in the back.
Alternately, if you have a teenager who is leading the group (Venturers do, but they're older than Scouts), put the slowest kid and the leader at the front. A well-chosen leader will encourage the slower one.

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 3:36 pm 
wolffie wrote:
Don't confuse the pee bottle with the Yukon Jack.
lol.gif lol.gif lol.gif That one made my afternoon!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst

herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 7:15 pm 
DestinationUp wrote:
herdingcats wrote:
For those of you that work with Scout groups, the single-greatest sanity saver I ever learned was to keep the slowest kid in the front of a hiking line, and the fastest in the back.
Alternately, if you have a teenager who is leading the group (Venturers do, but they're older than Scouts), put the slowest kid and the leader at the front. A well-chosen leader will encourage the slower one.
That's a great pointer, and I think you're right. Ultimately, it helps the older (high school age) boys learn leadership.

herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst

herdingcats
inherited Wanderlüst
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 7:19 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
herdingcats wrote:
I now carry Leukotape P Sports Tape for blister care instead of Moleskin (and certainly instead of Duct Tape).
+1 on the Leukotape. But instead of carrying the whole roll, cut off selected lengths and stick it to that silicone-backed paper that is used to temporarily hold things like mailing labels. This preserves the stick-um on the tape but saves almost all of the weight and makes it more convenient to use when you need it.
That's awesome. I have a 3/4" stack of sticker sheets I have no idea what to do with. With your inspiration, I'm going to get rolling on a new hiker project tonight. Thanks!

wakerobin

wakerobin
PostSat Jan 25, 2014 8:18 pm 
The Leukotape I use has a backing on it, so you can just cut the size you need, it also has standard lengths and a center line marked on it. Remember to round the corners on the pieces you cut, no corners to catch on something (sounds weird, but I've found it makes a big difference.)

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jan 25, 2014 9:01 pm 
that snow melting tip is GOLD big steve!!....breakiiieee sounds good too.... thanks all for the tips!

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)

HundsSolo
Baby Step Hiking :o)
PostSun Jan 26, 2014 8:17 am 
Many years ago when I lived in Alaska and we were out for a couple of weeks in very cold temps we used a small double mantle Coleman lantern to heat our four-man Eureka Timberline tent which is just big enough for two guys with gear. In the cold morning we would reach out from our sleeping bags and turn on the lantern and in ten minutes or so the tent would be toasty, the lantern would be hanging from the ceiling. Thats when Eureka made the tents in the US. This small lantern used very little fuel.

The Mountains are Calling - I must go and PLAY! If you don't Respect Mother Nature, Mother Nature won't respect you. Wag More and Bark Less smile.gif
huron

huron
PostSun Jan 26, 2014 9:41 am 
The post above regarding using gas lanterns in a tent is potentially dangerous. This should not be done due to the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 pm 
Seamgrip (link) will mend/seal just about anything. To keep the tubes from drying out and seizing up after opening them, store opened tubes (capped as tightly as possible) in the freezer.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostWed Jan 29, 2014 7:12 am 
YA AND NO-ONE COOKS IN THEIR TENT EITHER..oops shouting.... lol.gif lol.gif BUY white thin foam pads at seattle fabrics on aurora in seattle....they last a few seasons... one thing I tried last year.....put the pad ON TOP of the air mattress, with the auto-winsndow sunshade UNDER THE airmattress.... AHHHH..MUCH WARMER than foam pad underneath......