Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mt Adams Rescue
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:06 pm 
From the Herald:
Quote:
Harrowing rescue saves ill-equipped hiker on Mount Adams He was trying to summit the mountain as a tribute to his brother, who died hiking earlier this year. Wednesday, September 12, 2018 By Alec Regimbal / Yakima Herald-Republic A 27-year-old Illinois hiker who became stranded on the edge of a crevasse on Mount Adams was plucked from the peak in a dramatic helicopter rescue while trying to summit the mountain as a tribute to his brother, who died hiking earlier this year. Josh Adams was hiking with a group of friends late last week when he slipped while heading east on Piker’s Peak on the south side of the mountain, according to a news release from the Yakima County Sheriff’s Office. Adams came to rest on an overhang just above the Mazama Glacier, said Sgt. Randy Briscoe, who heads the department’s search and rescue team. Adams was hiking without crampons or an ice ax, and couldn’t climb up the slope away from the drop without that equipment because the icy terrain is too slippery, Briscoe said. “You’re basically on blue ice at that point,” he said. After Adams’ friends reported the fall just before 4 p.m. Thursday, officials at the sheriff’s office asked for air support from the Washington State Emergency Operation Center. Officials decided to rescue Adams by way of air — as opposed to sending a team up the mountain — because they weren’t sure exactly where Adams was, and because it would take as long as 12 hours to get a team together. Briscoe said Adams, who was wearing a pullover sweatshirt and jeans with no gloves, had been stranded for several hours and likely wouldn’t survive the night. High winds and below freezing temperatures were expected overnight. Two UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters were deployed from the Yakima Training Center at 6:14 p.m. and 24 minutes later arrived at the mountain, where rescue personnel quickly spotted Adams, the release said. After assessing the situation, the team’s leader decided Adams was in too tricky of a spot to be airlifted out, and that a rescue attempt would have start at daylight on Friday, the release said. Helicopters typically aren’t used to rescue anyone above 10,000 feet in altitude because it’s hard for a helicopter’s rotor to keep the craft airborne in such thin air, Briscoe said. Thinking quickly, the two pilots decided to remove all rescue personnel from one helicopter and deliberately burn its fuel in an attempt to make it lighter, the release said. From there, one of the rescue personnel was harnessed to a hoist and lowered to Adams’ position. After Adams latched onto his rescuer, the helicopter went into a dive and fell for about 2,000 feet before stabilizing, Briscoe said. Adams was then lifted into the helicopter and safely flown to the ground, Briscoe said. Adams said he was climbing the mountain as a tribute to his brother, Jeremiah, who died while hiking in the Olympic National Forest earlier this year, the release said.
This raises as many questions on the rescuers as the rescued. Why would it have taken 12 hours to assemble a rescue team? Central Washington Mountain Rescue is there to respond and they could have been airlifted to the vicinity and there are other teams as well as other aircraft.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:17 pm 
Quote:
After Adams latched onto his rescuer, the helicopter went into a dive and fell for about 2,000 feet before stabilizing, Briscoe said. Adams was then lifted into the helicopter and safely flown to the ground, Briscoe said
Holy mother of God. I really hope this is the media's inaccurate interpretation of events.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
Bronco

Bronco
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:18 pm 
The way I read it, they thought sending a SAR team on foot could take 12 hours and instead decided to send the helo.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 pm 
Alec Regimbal, Yakima Herald-Republic wrote:
"After Adams latched onto his rescuer, the helicopter went into a dive and fell for about 2,000 feet before stabilizing."
eek.gif Sounds like they've got one damn good pilot there.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:23 pm 
Most journalists and regular folks understand very little about aviation and overestimate nearly everything. When they say "dive" it usually means "descended at a slightly faster than normal but still routine rate"

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:26 pm 
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me climbing Adams late season in jeans and a hoody with no ice axe is a goofy way to honor the death of a brother who died hiking.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 12:57 pm 
Well, he is from Illinois.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:00 pm 
Good grief. Paying tribute to his brother who died by nearly getting himself killed?! This is turning out to be a bizarre year for accidents and rescue operations here in Washington. Agreed with above, don't get the connection with climbing Adams when his brother perished in the Olympics.

slood
Daffy Hiker

slood
Daffy Hiker
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:09 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
... don't get the connection with climbing Adams when his brother perished in the Olympics.
Probably because their last name is Adams.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:20 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me climbing Adams late season in jeans and a hoody with no ice axe is a goofy way to honor the death of a brother who died hiking.
No, you're not missing anything, you firmly nailed it with "goofy". I have to wonder, do any of these people ever get a "come to Jesus" talk from someone who actually knows what they're talking about after setting foot back on firm ground? This seemingly fast-growing national mentality of "someone will help me if I just go do my thing and it all goes to hell" is really starting to grind on me.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
braincloud
Summit Seeker

braincloud
Summit Seeker
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:29 pm 
moonspots wrote:
This seemingly fast-growing national mentality of "someone will help me if I just go do my thing and it all goes to hell" is really starting to grind on me.
I would posit it's more of a trend of massive underestimation due to the "I saw a bunch of people do this on social media so it's just a hike" mentality. I've seen first hand people being pulled off St. Helens in the winter because they've got it in their heads "it's not a technical climb so I can just wear trail runners and jeans and bring a bottle of water and be ok." People who don't grow up here or around the mountains don't always realize that big mountains are unpredictable and they see blue sky photos and think, oh cool - I can totally do that! and then get in over their heads.

MyCrookedPath.com The light at the end of my tunnel is a police car.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:37 pm 
moonspots wrote:
This seemingly fast-growing national mentality of "someone will help me if I just go do my thing and it all goes to hell" is really starting to grind on me.
Rhetorical question: What does it do for your 'brand' on the 'gram when you get yourself killed because you didn't think about reality?

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:39 pm 
Sainthood?

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:50 pm 
I would like to know the brand of jeans he was wearing. They must be some tough jeans.

Art is an adventure.
Exmoor

Exmoor
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 1:58 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Rhetorical question: What does it do for your 'brand' on the 'gram when you get yourself killed because you didn't think about reality?
Depends on if they find your body. Apparently if you aren't somewhere accessible it can rocket you and everyone around you into the spotlight. Billboards, conspiracy theories, the possibilities are endless.