Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tragedy on Lewis Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 12:23 pm 
Thanks for recounting that Dave, and I'm sorry you had to be there to witness it. This has been hard on the entire NW climbing community. I couldn't do anything yesterday after learning of Franklin's accident. Losing anyone is hard, but I think what makes it especially hard in this case is how good of a person Franklin was. He was never mean to anyone, and didn't have a mean bone in his body. I always looked forward to getting out with Franklin, and even if I wasn't in the best of moods, that changed quickly after hanging with him for a few seconds. His love for life and passion for being in the mountains was contagious. I never got the chance to tell him that I admired him.. for being so talented, selfless, kind, and generous - Franklin was the whole package. Franklin's smile and warm demeanor will be greatly missed. The world lost a great human being in Franklin Bradshaw. Thanks to EMR, and my condolences to Franklin's family - both blood and his many family members in our small community.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 1:01 pm 
ditto.gif I was only on one trip with Franklin but had multiple encounters with him. I found him to always be full of wisdom, good nature, and happiness. I always admired and respected him; I wish I could have expressed that to him better. Thank you for sharing this, Dave. What a horrible tragedy. I am thankful that you were able to safely return but greatly saddened that Franklin did not. frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Andy D.

Andy D.
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 1:15 pm 
I'm very sorry to hear this news. I think Tom's words really sum up Franklin well, he was such a great guy. I always enjoyed climbing with him and wish I would have had more chances to do so. I have never climbed with such a strong, determined climber. My favorite memory with him was bouncing along the Chilliwack Lake Rd on the way up to climb the Moxes. He was going way too fast and we were flying along in his VW van getting air off the bumps! Eventually we hit a rock and his van was spewing oil. I always loved how nothing seem to bother him, he always had a positive attitude. I know he was very well known and liked throughout the local climbing community, he will be missed by many. My condolences to his family and friends. Rest in peace Franklin.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 1:46 pm 
This tragedy has hit my pocket of our community particularly hard. Dave, I can't even imagine... Well, I'll just leave it there. Thank you for sharing your part of the story (how very surreal it must seem now) for those of us who would seek to know. If there is anything you need, anything at all, please don't hesitate to ask. Following is what I shared with my personal community on FB last night. Please take it to heart. It could have been any of us. Yes, the likelihood of me standing atop a corniced peak in the middle of winter is much smaller than others, but still, it could have been any of us. Does it mean we should not climb our beloved peaks? Absolutely not! But it does mean we should never hold back in sharing our lives. If you love someone, let them know. Tell people what they mean to you, how important it is that they are in your life. And open your own heart up to let others in. Never let wounds of the past keep you from moving forward. Life is so very temporary and too TOO beautiful not to be shared. You never know when you won't be here tomorrow. RIP FB; we'll look after PiB. (It is a clear night tonight. Certainly your spirit must now be amongst those shining stars.) Gwen Tollefson

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
trestle

trestle
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 2:03 pm 
Thoughts and prayers out to all who lost their friend, may he RIP.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm 
What sad news, I enjoyed his lively adventures as only he could articulate them in his trip reports.

Living in the Anthropocene
Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 2:30 pm 
I am so sorry to hear of this tragedy. My condolences to his many friends and family. He will be greatly missed. frown.gif

Yana
Hater

Yana
Hater
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 2:48 pm 
Thank you, Dave. I can't even begin to fathom what it must have been like. I am very glad you made it down safely.

PLAY SAFE! SKI ONLY IN CLOCKWISE DIRECTION! LET'S ALL HAVE FUN TOGETHER!
trumpetsailor

trumpetsailor
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 3:55 pm 
Thank you, Dave. There's a whole community here, if you need a hand.

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 4:29 pm 
dave, i hope you are doing ok. i can't imagine the hike back down the mountain by yourself after what just happened. i haven't been able to think of much else since i heard the bad news. thanks for sharing franklin inspired me and he'll continue to do so.

Eric Eames
Franklin's Sister

Franklin's Sister
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 5:00 pm 
Dave, Thanks for posting this and being available to Franklin's family. To Dave & all, Thanks for all your condolences as we are with Franklin's death. Franklin and I were close and I'm sure I've heard many of your names when he was sharing information about trips with me. You are such a wonderful and vibrant community. I may have met some of you in the past and at the peak baggers event last fall. I want to express my gratitude to each of you and let you know that we are planning a memorial service in a couple of weeks -- right now we're trying for February 8th. I will post more information here as we know more. I'm looking into setting up a snapfish account so people can upload photos. I would so much love to be able to collect so many of the beautiful photos -- there was one shown at the awards with him climbing in snow that reminded me of a cat. Help with the tech side would be so very much appreciated. And, let me know if you're interested in helping with the memorial service. I now know that this is so much bigger than the family. Being an King County Emergency Medical services employee, I feel I have a small glimpse into the world of those who searched for him -- thank you so much. I know word has gotten out about a small Buddhist ceremony this evening -- a ceremony typically conducted three days after someone has died. This is a small ceremony to help send Franklin on to wherever he is going. I ask that you respect the family's wish for this to be a small event and invitation only. The Buddhist center is small with a maximum capacity of 49. I promise to include and invite everyone who wants to participate in the larger memorial. It is actually wonderful to know that he touched so many lives. Cynthia Bradshaw ski_always@hotmail.com Garudacyn@gmail.com

My thanks to your entire community.
KarlK

KarlK
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 5:16 pm 
Dave - words can't express how sorry I am to hear of this.

Karl J Kaiyala
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 5:33 pm 
Yana wrote:
Thank you, Dave. I can't even begin to fathom what it must have been like. I am very glad you made it down safely.
These were my exact thoughts as I read what you wrote, Dave.

Toast

Toast
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 5:50 pm 
Thanks Dave. This is so sad. Franklin was an awesome being, friendly, and always helpful.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 6:44 pm 
RIP Franklin. You will surely be missed. Dave my heart goes out to you to witness what happened. I am glad you were there to tell the story of Franklin's final hours. I never hiked with him but my heart goes out for him.

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.