Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tragedy on Lewis Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm 
Dave, Thank you for sharing the details of Franklin's last climb. I cannot imagine the horror you must've felt when he disappeared & didn't respond to your calls, & then having the lonely hike back out to get help for a rescue mission. May all of Franklin's loved ones find strength in this difficult time.

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 8:20 pm 
so very sorry for your loss. glad you were there and made it safely down to get help. Also glad that Franklin had you to contact SAR and bring him 'home'. we are all part of this nwhikers family and feel the loss, too! hugs to all!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
MtnMike

MtnMike
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 pm 
Very sad news to hear about Franklin. Of the many trips we have done, he was fun to be with and was always key in reaching our destination. I will miss his mountain expertise. Now reflecting on everyone’s great loss.

MtnMike
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Jan 21, 2014 11:56 pm 
Dave - Thoughts and prayers are with you. Thank you for being there. It came as a shock and with much sadness. How fortunate I feel to have been on a fun trip with the two of you and the rest of our merry band only two weeks ago as we spent a lovely day in the Teanaway. Peace be with you and with you, Franklin.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 12:52 am 
Someone on CascadeClimbers.com posted a couple of pictures of the summit ridge of Lewis peak, and of the cornices at the top. Scary!!

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
PeakJunkie

PeakJunkie
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 5:33 am 
Thanks Dave for your report on Franklin. I've lost a good friend, climbing and ski partner. We were just climbing together last month in the Andes of Colombia and were planning other trips... I'm currently in Asia and feel so disconnected. Thanks to those who have emailed me! Franklin was one class act. With his passing part of my future has been ripped away from me. I'm sure many others feel the same way...

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 8:22 am 
Here's a more complete article from today's Everett Herald.

Type E

Type E
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 11:37 am 
I am saddened to hear of this tragedy. While I never met Franklin I was always eager to read a report where he was involved. At times like this I find it most difficult to make sense of it all. Best wishes for the family and close friends to find closure. Eric

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 1:45 pm 
For those who are interested, NWAC has now posted an official report: http://www.nwac.us/media/filer_public/24/26/24268c9d-9c93-49cb-ad8d-0f526c475511/lewis_peak_avalanche_accident_off_of_mountain_loop_highway_north_central_wa_cascades_1-18-14.pdf frown.gif frown.gif frown.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
aywolfpac

aywolfpac
PostThu Jan 23, 2014 5:46 pm 
Thanks for posting Dave. I can't imagine what that must have been like having to hike back down by yourself. I suspect it is about as bad as things could possibly be in this life. My condolences to you and Franklin's family.

kermit.ritland@ubc.ca

kermit.ritland@ubc.ca
PostFri Jan 24, 2014 6:17 pm 
I am so lucky to be alive. I am depressed that I get to live the afterlife. See http://genetics.forestry.ubc.ca/ritland/cornice.htm. This was Feb 1 1976 with very similar weather conditions. The early melting snow makes cornices so unstable. DO NOT GO NEAR A CORNICE THIS WEEKEND!!! I am new to this forum but I have done most high routes in the Cascades but when I was younger. I know enough to get freaked out about this and offer my condolences to the family members of this tragic accident.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jan 25, 2014 12:00 am 
kermit -- was that also on Lewis Peak?

kermit.ritland@ubc.ca

kermit.ritland@ubc.ca
PostTue Jan 28, 2014 4:06 pm 
It is Mt. Pugh. I was told by a person at Everett mountain rescue that Lewis peak is quite rugged on top and there are relatively small snow fields interspersed between groups of trees and it is hard to tell what is just a snowfield and what is a cornice. In my case, it was one huge snowfield and cornice. I was fortunately facing the rest of the mountain when it broke (I was standing on the breaking off part). Also the cornice was so large it took a second or two to peel off giving me time to react. That accident by Franklin jagged my memory of this (it occurred Feb 1 1976) and I thought I should make public the two pictures to remind people the dangers of cornices especially in warm winters like this one. These pictures are circulating the web. Its incredible the mountain pictures I see on this site. My pictures used to sit in boxes on a shelf. Kermit

bk

bk
PostTue Jan 28, 2014 5:16 pm 
For Kermit's Mt. Pugh incident, the weather had two above-normal high-temp days during the week prior [last week in January], in 1976, in Everett. [50 degrees on prior Tuesday; 57 degrees on prior Wednesday.] Don't know how much that contributed or not, or, on the other hand, if there was an temperature inversion during some of the cooler days. Who knows.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 7:59 am 
Simply having followed Franklin's accomplished footsteps on many a mountain makes this so hard to comprehend. An instant...that is all it takes. I only met Franklin once, Bird Creek Camp in Devore Creek. It was late, brief stories shared. I got that sense that we'd do some things together someday forward it but never came together. For those of you who lost such a great friend, my heart and thoughts have been going out to you. To Dave Creedon, I hope you can find solace in having spent great times with a good man who wanted to be no where else in the world that day but on another ascent. Sharing it with a friend. It pains my heart to think how impossibly hard and endless a day that must have been for you. I greatly appreciate you sharing your detailed account of it, despite how hard that must have been. To Franklin, I wish we had had a chance to get out together. Your many many trips, great skill and determination, continues to inspire me to fight through whatever might be going on in life and just enjoy each day fully and vibrantly. As it is so obvious you did. You are missed not only by the many you have directly touched, but by those of us who followed your lead in the shadows as well.

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.