Forum Index > Trip Reports > Triumph on Lewis Peak
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dave Creeden

Dave Creeden
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 9:56 am 
Date: January 18, 2014 Route: Variation of the NW Ridge route. Hike the Sunrise Trail for little over a mile, until reaching a gulley at about 3,200 feet filled with avalanche debris. Then went straight a band of timber reaching the NW ridge at about 4,500 feet. Climbers: Franklin Bradshaw and Dave Creeden A couple of weeks ago a flurry of e-mails was exchanged about ideas for a day climb and I put forward the suggestion of Lewis Peak, because the Mountain Loop Highway to Barlow Pass was still accessible. Eventually we settled on a climb of Anthracite and Beaver Peak. On Friday I got an e-mail from Franklin suggesting we make an attempt on Lewis Peak on Saturday, so I jumped at the chance. We rendezvoused at Granite Falls at 6 AM and I loaded Franklin’s Subaru wagon with my gear. On the drive we discussed various route options and settled a variation of the NW ridge. We talked about climbs we’ve each done in the past and as we drove through Silverton we made a pact to climb Hall Peak at some point in the future. He also mentioned that he was waiting for conformation that he would we going to the upcoming Winter Olympics to help set ski race courses like he did in Vancouver in 2010. When we reached the Sunrise Mine Road there was a pile of snow across the roadway, but there were recent vehicle tracks on road itself. We hoped to drive as much as the 2.3 mile road as possible to reduce the road walk. Franklin got out his snow chains and proclaimed that this time he had the right size chains for his car! (See Beaver/Anthracite Trip Report!) I grabbed a snow shovel to clear the snow berm across the road, as he put the chains on his car. The vehicles which preceded us were pickup trucks and SUVs with wider wheel bases, which made for awkward driving for Franklin but he was undeterred. About 1 ¾ miles up the road at a sharp left turn we ran into 4 or 5 rigs parked in a wide spot of the road with a bunch a guys standing around their tents. One guy with a coonskin hat, a machete slung across his shoulder and a couple of knives on this waist belt, waved at us and approached the car. Franklin rolled down his window and struck up a conversation with him, as if everything was cool. He was a friendly guy, just curious what we were up to. A couple of more people came over too and they mentioned that they had spent the night there and planned to camp one more night. Franklin asked how much further they had driven up the road and they said just a short distance because the snow was too deep. Of course this was a challenge that Franklin couldn’t resist! There was an older set of truck tracks ahead. But soon Franklin’s Subaru was scraping snow, so he would just back up a short distance, then drive forward and repeat the process until he could plow through. He did this numerous times until we got to a point where the road was a little steeper and the snow deeper. He tried several times, but couldn’t get through. There was a wide spot in the rood nearby, as a possible pull over spot. Franklin remarked that it was too bad that Dicey wasn’t with. She hates road walking, but we had driven a most of the way so she would have been happy. In the next breath he said, that if Matt was with us, we would have parked back at the entrance of the road and we would have walked the whole darn thing! I got out to scout the wide spot in the road for parking, and it was possible. Up ahead there was a curve in the road, so I walked ahead to see what lay ahead around the corner. About 300 or 400 feet distance I could see the trailhead parking lot. I trotted back to the car to let Franklin know. He backed up and made one more to a run at it and slowly but steadily made progress. The bottom of his vehicle was scraping snow like the dickens, he was swerving back and forth trying to stay in the tracks as he disappeared around the corner and continued to the end of the road without me.
Cadet, Monte Cristo, Kyes, Wilman Peaks, Columbia & Silver Tip
Cadet, Monte Cristo, Kyes, Wilman Peaks, Columbia & Silver Tip
Addison Ridge, Foggy & Cadet
Addison Ridge, Foggy & Cadet
Bedal, Sheep & Sloan
Bedal, Sheep & Sloan
Pugh
Pugh
Big Four, Three Fingers & White Horse
Big Four, Three Fingers & White Horse
Vesper & Sperry
Vesper & Sperry
Morning Star, Vesper & Sperry
Morning Star, Vesper & Sperry
Del Campo
Del Campo
It was glorious day to be alive in the mountains.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 9:58 am 
Thank you for sharing the first part of the story, during what is certainly a difficult time. I personally find a lot of value in the preparation and planning stages of mountaineering objectives. I love the photos, too. up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 11:32 am 
well played, Dave RIP Franklin

Rainie Too!

Rainie Too!
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 11:58 am 
Dave, Do you know if he made his 500th peak? I noticed he mentioned planning it on his website.

Happy Trail Dog

Happy Trail Dog
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 1:42 pm 
Yes, he made #500. It was in Colombia, it was a peak called Pico de Aguila (Peak of the Eagle).

iron

iron
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 1:49 pm 
i've had some trips with franklin where his driving scared the sh## out of me. fun times. he must have the record for number of oil pans destroyed by a hiker.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 2:15 pm 
smile.gif Good on you!

Art is an adventure.
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 2:28 pm 
Excellent. Thanks Dave for posting that.

sticky buns

sticky buns
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 2:58 pm 
Nice, Dave. Thanks. I was looking at a map last night, thinking that his last views were probably pretty sweet. Now I'm wondering if he was ticking off the peaks: done that, done that, want to do that, done that, want to do that. smile.gif It's a beautiful world out there. How wonderful that we can experience it. Pam

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 6:47 pm 
Classic Franklin! Thank you. smile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 8:38 pm 
Thank you for sharing Dave. I'm glad you got to spend such a beautiful day in the mountains with a great guy.

Stefan-K

Stefan-K
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 pm 
four wheeled it all the way to the trailhead, yes! Thanks for both reports, the T&T, the balance, Dave. I'm sure Franklin would have appreciated it.

don b

don b
PostWed Jan 22, 2014 10:49 pm 
Dave, Thanks for the story

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jan 23, 2014 12:13 am 
Triumph, indeed. up.gif Thanks for letting us have one last look, Dave.

Lindsay

Lindsay
PostThu Jan 23, 2014 12:37 am 
Dave, thank you for sharing a quintessential Franklin approach to the trail head.