Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ozette Triangle, Kalaloch, and Lake Quinault
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:03 pm 
Our first retirement hike the lure of noontime low tides and Clear weather made this irresistible. We left Izzy on Wendsday morning and drove over the Hood Canal Bridge in fog. It started misting hard by Sequim got our permits in PA. By Clallum Bay there were patches of blue and we hit the trail around 2:30. We had great success using Ice Bugs (short carbide spikes on a rubber overshoe) on the boardwalks. Made Cape Alava by 4. One other camp there saw one couple on the way. A solo camper pitched near us. Dinner was ramen with a tuna retort pack It was a lovely sunset and a zillion stars lit the nighttime sky. It was hard going to bed at 7pm with nothing to do until 8 am. In the morning there was dense fog and it looked like others had spent too much time there.
We wandered up the beach before breakfast past the old dig and ranger station to points where it got rocky slippery.I continued alone to the bay before the Ozette River then I thought I saw a trail behind the point and tried it to avoid the rocks on the way back. I described it as an old Indian trail because they were young Indians when they started up it. It was a nasty bushwhack up a mud slope. Soon got back to camp for breakfast. The camper next to us was a solo woman who had just graduated from Western and wondered where we were going and we said Sand Point and she headed down the beach. After breakfast we set off down the beach through deep kelp. We caught up before Wedding Rocks. Lynda and her had a good conversation while I walked ahead. We soon got to Sand Point and quickly headed up the bump there.
and checked out the surf
We looked for a campsite and made a dinner of couscous with curry. Another beautiful sunset.
Another long night with stars and what looked like a helicopter going back and forth over Cape Johnson. In the morning we headed down the beach toward Yellow Banks.
Reluctantly we packed up and went out the trail back to the car. The ranger sation was empty and the bathrooms closed. For whomever was asking the road north is gated. We drove south stopping for provisions in Forks. The looked for a site at Kalaloch Campground and found one with a view and roadkill firewood. We made tacos and fog moved in changing to heavy mist. Stayed up later as we had a fire and lantern. In the morning everything was coated with ice. We walked up the beach to where the waves were breaking on the shore then wen back for pancakes. Breaking camp we went south to a closed campground with a perfect picinc spot the n headed down the No. 1 beach tail to see the Spruce trees with big butts our kids favorite. We walked down the beach to the reservation and back marveling at the root balls of the driftwood.
We drove down to Lake Quinault and had lunch at Willaby Campground Picinic area. It is amazing how little snow is present in the Olympics
After lunch we drove home to regrout the kitchen floor huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message