Forum Index > Trip Reports > Travelers Pk. Recon to scope out Dirty Loose Crack, 01.04.14
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostSun Jan 26, 2014 3:06 pm 
A few wks. ago MM & I took it easy by orchestrating a late start from town & doing a 1/2 day hike partway to Travelers Pk. I had checked out maps & trip reports ahead of time, & wanted to scope things out before scheduling a SSMF hike since it looked like a loose gully on the NW side of the pk. may prove to be too sketchy to attempt, especially with a group. So, we set out on the big wash to the west of the pk., also the starting point for Truckhaven Rocks.
Starting up the wash
Starting up the wash
Truckhaven Rocks
Truckhaven Rocks
Truckhaven Rocks
Truckhaven Rocks
Truckhaven Rocks
Truckhaven Rocks
We snapped a few photos of the rocks before continuing up the wash, being careful to take all the correct turns that would lead us to a saddle just to the NW of the summit area.
Heading up the wash
Heading up the wash
We climbed a somewhat slippery open slope up to the saddle, & got a good look @ the route ahead. Of course the gully in question looked even worse in real life--loose, dirty, & pretty vertical. Even if I thought it safe enough, there wasn't time today to attempt it anyway. We were pretty quickly convinced that we should scope out routes from other sides of the peak, like possibly from the Calcite Mine area.
View W/NW toward Pyramid Pk.
View W/NW toward Pyramid Pk.
View SW
View SW
Travelers Pk.
Travelers Pk.
Dirty loose crack
Dirty loose crack
Satisfied w/our exploration of this route, we headed back down the wash & enjoyed a nice sunset. cool.gif
Big rock about to fall into wash
Big rock about to fall into wash
MM tempting fate
MM tempting fate
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
After dinner @ Carmelita's in Borrego Springs, we once again drove back through Ranchita & posed w/the White Sasquatch. up.gif
BC w/the White Sasquatch
BC w/the White Sasquatch

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message