Forum Index > Trip Reports > Getting "Back" To Basics: Bee Sting, Beaver, Eleven Bits
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Jan 26, 2014 9:12 pm 
Bryan ended last year with a back surgery which temporarily sidelined his typical self-implied "shameless peakbagging" ways. He had been itching to get back into the mountains and I was happy to help him attain that goal. The key was that we had to find some low-impact summit goals. Despite getting rebuffed by some gated forest roads, which would have forced us into doing much longer hikes than we cared to do for his first re-introduction hiking day, we were still able to find three low-elevation peaks which were surprisingly pleasant to visit. PEAK #1: "Bee Sting Hill" (2665' elevation, 625' clean prominence) We found an old logging road full of downed trees & ice which apparently leads nearly to the top. An old path skirts the ridgetop, too. Some bushwhacking on the ascent. We found a sign for National Forest land. I brought my EpiPen but it was not necessary; no bee stings on this trip. A little visitor also followed us, too, which creeped-out Bryan. Good views from the summit towards the tiny community of Plain. Someone has put a sign on a tree which states the elevation is "2671" but that might be because the sign is nearly 6' above the ground at the base of the tree? ESTIMATED ELEVATION GAIN: 640'
National Forest land
National Forest land
EpiPen not used on Bee Sting Hill
EpiPen not used on Bee Sting Hill
Looking towards Plain
Looking towards Plain
PEAK #2: "Beaver Hill" (2840'+ elevation, 560'+ clean prominence) Surprisingly, a very good unmarked trail leads to the summit. A large pile of rocks is found near the false summit, which is still 5-10 minutes away from the true summit. Better views from the false summit, as well as along a side-trail 100' elevation below it. The trail had several steep sections which were very icy. We each put our microspikes to use and veered into less icy side-brush when possible. A lot of hoarfrost on the trees and bushes; it was really interesting to see the thorny/barbed appearances many of them had. Once again, a little visitor had followed us. ESTIMATED ELEVATION GAIN: 660'
Licking some hoar near a Beaver
Licking some hoar near a Beaver
Gollum looking for some beaver
Gollum looking for some beaver
All eyes on Bryan on Beaver Hill
All eyes on Bryan on Beaver Hill
PEAK #3: "Eleven Bits Hill" (2048' elevation, 688' clean prominence) This one was a "Hail Mary Pass" on my part. Having been to Cashmere on many occasions, I had noticed this peak numerous times but never had an inclination to summit it. This peak is much more impressive as seen from the east than from the west. Its southeast slopes are very cool to see, too. Discovering that a road led to the top, this peak seemed to fit our "low-impact" philosophy of the day. The summit road had a locked chain "gate" but no negative signage preventing non-motorized road access beyond that point. There is a communications facility at an eastern false summit, which is definitely lower so we skipped that. I was disappointed that I had only brought ten bits of coins with me. The weirdest aspect of the road-walk was that we seemed to pass through several inversion layers from the car to the summit. The road went from completely frozen dirt to super-soft dirt to frozen ice to frosty crust at the true summit. Great views, only obstructed by low clouds. Once again, our little visitor joined us. ESTIMATED ELEVATION GAIN: 680'
"Eleven Bits Hill"
"Eleven Bits Hill"
Gollum looks for eleven bits of hobbit
Gollum looks for eleven bits of hobbit
Atop "Eleven Bits Hill"
Atop "Eleven Bits Hill"
Overall, it was a very successful day. Bryan did not experience any pains and we were able to share three summit hikes together. Plus, our cumulative elevation gain was nearly 2000'. There is nothing "shameless" about that.
Taking Bryan's car for a spin!
Taking Bryan's car for a spin!
Needed a late night foody call!
Needed a late night foody call!

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 am 
Cragar on the summit of Beaver Hill
Cragar on the summit of Beaver Hill
Gollum is cold and pissed off
Gollum is cold and pissed off
It felt great to be back in the mountains. Since late September I've had 2 back operations and my mountain time has suffered greatly! I'm thankful that Redwic was willing to shamelessly bag some low lying fruit with me.
Nice open land out here
Nice open land out here
And more...
And more...
Cragar ponders a "Plain" life in Plain, WA
Cragar ponders a "Plain" life in Plain, WA
And more yet
And more yet
Cragar on 11 Bits Hill summit
Cragar on 11 Bits Hill summit
11 Bits Hill summit view
11 Bits Hill summit view
Romantic getaway for 2?
Romantic getaway for 2?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:36 am 
Great to see you back out there again, and the return of the videos.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 11:39 am 
Thank Puzzlr! Not my greatest video, but I'll try to get them back on track too! biggrin.gif

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 9:51 pm 
up.gif Freezing fog is awesome. To look at on vegetation that is.

Living in the Anthropocene
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 9:58 pm 
wildernessed wrote:
up.gif Freezing fog is awesome. To look at on vegetation that is.
And more...
And more...
Amazing!

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon Jan 27, 2014 10:19 pm 
up.gif Great to see you out!!

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.