Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
Previous :: Next Topic  
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostMon Apr 11, 2016 7:22 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Well, the engine light came on for the mechanic (though it didn't stall), and it's an issue with the lean gas mixture.

They're replacing the carburetor (under extended warranty!).

And  rant.gif  to those of you dissing Subie's.  I've owned Mazda and Subie's, have family with Toyota and others.  Subie seems no better and no worse than others.

I also slow down in school zones and city limits, don't camp in the left lane or drive under the speed limit.  I do, ahem, have some fun on open roads without traffic.

up.gif

--------------
Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time.  Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Jeff
Ramen Elitist

Jeff
Ramen Elitist
PostMon Apr 11, 2016 9:22 pm 
MtnManic wrote:

Not on a 2009 Forester. It's probably the cat.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Apr 11, 2016 10:04 pm 
MtnManic wrote:

??? What kind of car are we talking about here???  Or, have I just been successfully trolled...?   confused.gif

--------------
Photo Portfolio
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 4:09 am 
MtnManic wrote:
And  rant.gif  to those of you dissing Subie's.  I've owned Mazda and Subie's, have family with Toyota and others.  Subie seems no better and no worse than others.

I also slow down in school zones and city limits, don't camp in the left lane or drive under the speed limit.  I do, ahem, have some fun on open roads without traffic. 
ailgat
up.gif

Nothing against you personally, but when nearly every time I am tailgated (while going the speed limit or just above) on the MLH and it's a Subie in my rear view mirror, one tends to become a bit biased.

I have the same dislike for mini-vans, although that's because they are usually in front of me and in my way, lol.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 7:43 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
MtnManic wrote:

ailgat
up.gif

Nothing against you personally, but when nearly every time I am tailgated (while going the speed limit or just above) on the MLH and it's a Subie in my rear view mirror, one tends to become a bit biased.

I have the same dislike for mini-vans, although that's because they are usually in front of me and in my way, lol.

What happened to being tolerant?  Oh ya, that is only for smokers.  rolleyes.gif

--------------
friluftsliv
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Apr 12, 2016 10:58 am 
I am plenty tolerant, until it happens again, and again, and again, and yes once again in a short period of time and ALL Subaru drivers.

I now hate them just as much as mini-vans. mad.gif

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 13, 2016 6:12 pm 
boot up wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
Best advice about Subarus...Do not buy one!...and if you do slow the hell down going through Verlot, the speed limit is 35, not 65!

Don't forget to add your "You kids get off my lawn!!"

tongue.gif

Thankfully I don't really have a lawn...but they better stay the hell off my gravel or there will be trouble!

--------------
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostFri Apr 15, 2016 8:22 pm 
Since when has an misspoken word or simple mistake equate to being a troll?   rant.gif

So I used the wrong part in my post above - there were carburetors in cars when I was growing up.  smile.gif

Turned out it was the cat converter (under warranty!!!), then some part attached to it.

Then, when it wasn't quite running right, they figured out the ignition coil module needed replacing. 

Luckily the engine light came on when the mechanic was on the freeway and he was able to grab an check engine code relating to the emissions.  It didn't stall for him, though.

Price-wise, I ended up out a lot less money than I would have otherwise.  Federal warranty on the cat converter is 8 yrs/80,000 miles and I was just under 7 yrx and just over 50,000 miles.

As nice as that Crosstrek was, I definitely have better vision in my Forester.

--------------
Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time.  Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 15, 2016 9:15 pm 
MtnManic wrote:
Since when has an misspoken word or simple mistake equate to being a troll?  rant.gif

So I used the wrong part in my post above - there were carburetors in cars when I was growing up.  smile.gif

He is just really sensitive about being "Successfully Trolled"...he is good, so it doesn't happen often.

Cool that you found a good mechanic who was able to pinpoint the problem, many consumers have no idea how difficult and imperfect diagnosing vehicle issues is. This causes many misunderstandings and much angst, it is definitely not easy or an "exact science".

--------------
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostFri Apr 15, 2016 11:25 pm 
Look at WHO is driving the Subarus'.  Generally old farts(like me) and why Subaru's are called the old farts car.  Needs a normal car, but pretend they have an off-road vehicle need, so they justify the purchase to remind them about the days when they were young and dumb...  In the end they have neither a normal high MPG commuter car, nor a true off-road vehicle(Forester is the exception~sorta) as none have clearance for driving on anything other than nicely manicured dirt roads.  Otherwise they turn into poor road graders.  May as well just drive a Ford Focus and get better fuel mileage while grading the bad dirt roads.

Oh, and with OBD computers/readers, not knowing what is wrong with an engine in the modern world is a near impossibility.  Stores days worth of codes.  Between the codes and voltmeter to test your MAP/Oxygen sensors etc If someone says they do not know, either they are a) lying, or b) stupid so you should c) get your butt to a different mechanic ASAP.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 9:18 am 
Sure, it's MUCH easier to diagnose vehicle issues than in the past, but I still say it's definitely NOT an exact science. Unless things have changed drastically in the 18 months since my mechanic passed away? He was a mechanic for nearly 50 years and he always said that the diagnostic aspect was the most difficult.

I think it's a lot like going to a doctor with a mysterious ailment, it's not always easy to pinpoint the specific problem.

--------------
Slugman
Slower than ever

Slugman
Slower than ever
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 11:18 am 
Most haters say Subaru drivers are too slow. Funny that now they say we are speed demons or something. There is no limit to the crazy nonsense people will post here, based on nothing.  dizzy.gif

Jeff's mechanic must be a crook. That's more than I paid for my Subaru, plus all maintenance and repairs for 12 years.

--------------
Just another tequila sunrise....
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 6:11 pm 
Interesting theory that Subarus are the new fogey-mobile.  If true, could it be due to their excellent safety ratings?

btw, an Outback has as much or more clearance than some SUVs.

imo, Suby drivers are pretty slow.  Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Apr 16, 2016 8:35 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).

Yes, they are scared...so they drive faster.

Slugman wrote:
Most haters say Subaru drivers are too slow. Funny that now they say we are speed demons or something. There is no limit to the crazy nonsense people will post here, based on nothing.  dizzy.gif

Maybe you actually are a comedian.  lol.gif

--------------
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 5:32 am 
Jeff keep us posted on how it turned out.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
  Happy Birthday polecatjoe!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: