Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Jan 14, 2015 2:13 pm 
Not much changed from 2 day post above about likes and dislikes. It's still a great vehicle. Learn more about the car each day it seems. Learning more about how the voice commands work. It actually works better than I thought but not perfect. Adaptive Cruise Control up.gif up.gif up.gif The lane departure things work better than I would have thought. If you start drifting you get annoyed/beeped at. Won't work on a road without any lines though... Rear cross traffic alert is also kinda cool. Beeped at me in a Home Depot parking lot when a pedestrian was walking behind the car (he was far back where I wasn't gonna hit him anyway if I had backed up but still nice). I had just put the car in reverse and not even moved or looked yet. The blind spot thing as well is useful. Twice when I started in the fog in the morning for about 1/2 a mile the Eyesight and stuff turned off, but came on very shortly after I started going, even in fog. Maybe it had to adjust/warmup up, don't know. I'm pretty impressed with all the Eyesight/warning stuff so far anyway. Got the clearbra thing from Jay's Tint Shop in Kirkland last week. Went for the full hood/front quarter-panel coverage. Also ordered some better (more full coverage) front floor mats from weathertech which haven't arrived yet.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 6:45 am 
tigermn wrote:
Got the clearbra thing from Jay's Tint Shop in Kirkland last week. Went for the full hood/front quarter-panel coverage.
Do you know how long this application is projected to last? Did you get the limo tint as well? ace.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 9:16 am 
Brucester wrote:
tigermn wrote:
Got the clearbra thing from Jay's Tint Shop in Kirkland last week. Went for the full hood/front quarter-panel coverage.
Do you know how long this application is projected to last?
I put clear bra on my 2003 Honda Element. It is still looking OK, although maybe starting to show signs of age. I used Eagle1 products while I owned that car, which have anti-UV agents built in, which might make a difference.

friluftsliv
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Jan 15, 2015 7:31 pm 
And I'm sure the materials have changed some since 2003, possibly even improved. Jay's claim the stuff they normally use is better than the 3M stuff commonly used at dealerships. Of course what are they going to say right. Based on my interaction at Jay's they seemed real straightforward and seemed to take pride in their work and doing a good job. I had a good feeling having them do the job. No I didn't get any tinting done. Not a big fan of dark windows. I like to see out. The back windows and sunroof were already tinted from the factory. Based on what I see and read it's probably about a 20% or so tint.

touron

touron
PostThu Jul 23, 2015 10:38 pm 
Suburus have strong roofs

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
iron

iron
PostThu Sep 03, 2015 12:57 am 
so, for a hitch, is a bolt-on one a good idea or bad idea? https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Outback+Wagon/2014/13390.html?vehicleid=2014301541 i don't have easy access to a welder (though certain friends might, ahem...) so this seems like an easy enough DIY project. thoughts?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Sep 03, 2015 7:03 am 
iron wrote:
so, for a hitch, is a bolt-on one a good idea or bad idea? https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Subaru/Outback+Wagon/2014/13390.html?vehicleid=2014301541 i don't have easy access to a welder (though certain friends might, ahem...) so this seems like an easy enough DIY project. thoughts?
I am not sure I have heard of anyone welding one on these days. I am guessing that 99% or so are bolted on. I bought through that source and installed it myself. Tigermn was observing installation, but ended up lending a hand. The are a bit unwieldy/awkward to position in place for bolting on by yourself, but no big technical issues to DIY. Some of the more discreet ones require you to remove a lot of the bumper and other pieces from the back of your car. That may or may not be a challenge for some people. The one I got for the Forester did not require removing the rear bumper, so it was pretty easy. Wiring for the brake lights was plug and play easy.

friluftsliv
Brucester

Brucester
PostTue Nov 10, 2015 6:16 pm 
What tires come with a Subaru from the factory? Any luck with them?

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Nov 10, 2015 8:10 pm 
Brucester wrote:
John seems fine with his stock tires on the Outback. And I will say, Subaru puts a more highly rated tire on the Outback than on the other models. I thought the stock tires on my Impreza and Forester were just ok on dry asphalt, crap on all other conditions. But then I am picky about tires and tend to consider them cheap insurance, and will put high quality tires even on the cheapest cars. My wife and I did drive on the stock tires for about a year or so. And a subie can do amazingly well, even on crap tires.

friluftsliv
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 pm 
Anyone want to buy a '06 WRX? Needs some work. $6K firm.

over the hill

over the hill
PostWed Nov 11, 2015 10:23 pm 
Brucester wrote:
My '14 Forester came with Yokohama Geolandars and have held up OK except for a puncture a couple of weeks ago when my kids took it up to Evergreen LO.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Nov 13, 2015 4:32 pm 
It seems "back in the day" there were many more hearty tires available for passenger cars. I'm having an issue with one of my Dunlop SP Sport suck1000's. I don't have a Subaru but I was thinking maybe they offered tires better for the roads we drive. My next car will most likely be a Subaru or a Toyota truck.

MtnManic

MtnManic
PostSat Apr 09, 2016 11:53 pm 
Any Subie owners ever have this happen? 2009 Forester, 50,000 miles, I'm the sole owner. Automatic transmission, regular oil & lubes. Just over a week ago the car died while slowing for stopped traffic. Check engine and all dash lights came on. Turned the key and the engine came on fine and drove fine for a week. A week later, same thing. Took the car in for a diagnostic - no codes, no apparent problem and of course it didn't act up for the mechanics. Transmission fluid was dark and blotchy, so their thought (hope) was that a transmission flush would fix the problem. As they explained it, when slowing, a valve or something closes down and those "gobs" could block the line/tube/whatever it was. They mentioned the torque converter. A week later, dies again. This time the car growled when I tried to restart, but I got it going. This time only the ABS light and Check Engine came on, then went away. A couple of blocks, I'm slowing for traffic, it acts up bad and I'm cursing, then seems ok. I turn onto a minor arterial with a small uphill incline and I swear the car is falling apart, I've got the accelerator floored and the car is barely moving. I circle around to go home - the dealer is a short ways past home - and I'm on the verge of pulling into a lot and calling a tow. Two or so blocks later the car is purring like a kitten and runs fine all the way to the dealer. They call later - it drives fine, no issues, no codes. I agreed to let a mechanic take the car home for the weekend and see if it acts up - hoping I'll hear it did on Monday. It has only done this in the morning, sometimes when the engine is cold and sometimes when I've driven 4 or 5 miles. It has not done this after sitting all day in the open at work, so I doubt it is a temperature issue. BTW the loaner is a Crosstrek and what a nice vehicle. Love the CVT. Love that it feels more like a car than the Forester, though of course it has less cargo space. It has less visibility than my Forester (though okay), but I don't need multiple pillows to raise myself higher as I do in the Forester.

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 4:25 am 
If I am going to or from my property in Verlot, if someone is tailgating me or speeding, chances are abut 70% or higher that it's a Subaru driver...Hikers are strange people, drive like hell from the Big City, just so they can walk slowly through the woods. confused.gif I might have to put up a sign like one local did a few years back, it read, "Libs, slow your Subarus down!".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
trestle

trestle
PostSun Apr 10, 2016 7:04 am 
In the 80s and early 90s, Subarus were completely gutless (unless you had a turbo model) and were often the source of many highway backups. Things seemed to change around the time the mid 90s Legacies/Outbacks came out.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode