Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
Previous :: Next Topic  
RichP

RichP
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 6:55 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
AlpineRose wrote:
Suby drivers are pretty slow. Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).

lol.gif

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brucester

Brucester
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 5:26 pm 
Going older isn't a bad option if you can get a mechanic who cares more about the car than the paycheck. They're out there, you just need to ask around.....

Namadic Alpinist Piscator hooked me up with this Honda Guru years ago. He was a magician, didn't cost an arm and a leg either. No fancy shop so no fancy bill. He was older and I think he was retired. He was in it for the hobby. If he couldn't find OEM he'd rebuild it. I think he's out of the biz now and I've moved on to Sciota.

Anyone here still drive older Subies? 1980's vintage? Timing chain instead of belt and being able to shift OUT of AWD into front wheel drive could be an arguable benefit. Take that 5 grand and restore a vintage 'Ru?! Gets you there. I've read if you do some mods to them you can increase their mpg quite a bit. Older Subaru's didn't get that great mpg unless maybe the 2wd hatch.

Newer Subaru's still come stock with a skid plate?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 7:09 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Timing chain instead of belt and being able to shift OUT of AWD into front wheel drive could be an arguable benefit. Take that 5 grand and restore a vintage 'Ru?! Gets you there. I've read if you do some mods to them you can increase their mpg quite a bit. Older Subaru's didn't get that great mpg

New Subies have a timing chain, more guts, and better gas mileage than the old subies.   And that is better gas mileage in AWD than the old ones did in 2WD mode.

Anyone that has driven a 2wd car on a gravel or wet road, then driven the same road in a recent Subie AWD, would have no urge to go back to 2WD.

Now if you are just in it to put out more particulates and have less safety features, it might be worth dumping the money into an ancient one.

--------------
friluftsliv
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
spamfoote

spamfoote
PostSun Apr 17, 2016 10:58 pm 
boot up wrote:
Subie AWD, would have no urge to go back to 2WD

If you are trying to shave 30 seconds off your best time to the trail head time, then you are correct...  fencing.gif

Or, you could wind up like my sister in law when she spun out her 4wd subie into a tree...  party.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 9:12 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Nothing against you personally, but when nearly every time I am tailgated (while going the speed limit or just above) on the MLH and it's a Subie in my rear view mirror, one tends to become a bit biased.

I resemble that remark... and just wait for an area to pass when appropriate.

Normally if I am in front of someone who is riding me with passing not a real option I will just pull over and let them go by. I don't care if I am doing the speed limit, or 10 over or 20 over.. If they want to go faster, have at it.  Life's too short to be getting stressed out while driving to or from a hike and having someone riding me from behind is not exactly relaxing.
I appreciate the same. I've been on both ends of the spectrum.

--------------
My flickr photo site.
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 9:16 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
imo, Suby drivers are pretty slow.  Must be something about the Mountain Loop Highway that attracts crazy Suby drivers (along with other sorts of crazies).

I'm a Subaru driver and definitely don't resemble that remark. I had to get the 6 cylinder outback...
My pet peeve is with Camrys and Prius's... They always seem slow...  Must be a Toyota thing...

Funny I don't see to find too many Subaru drivers that are annoyingly slow. If so it's usually an older one.

--------------
My flickr photo site.
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 18, 2016 9:18 pm 
Brucester wrote:
Older Subaru's didn't get that great mpg unless maybe the 2wd hatch.

I didn't even know they had 2WD Subaru's.. I guess I didn't really start looking at them until a couple of years ago.

A 2WD Subaru is kind of like what's the point.. I'd probably get something else. It's the superior Subaru AWD that let me in that direction.

--------------
My flickr photo site.
iron
getting old

iron
getting old
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 8:57 am 
just got a letter in the mail from subaru. i will need to get a photo and post it, but i think this article covers it:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2017/07/07/facing-complaints-subaru-offers-extended-warranties-on-1-5-million-vehicles/#74a0aa5979dc

basically, their CVT sucks and people are reporting issues and now subaru is trying to cover their ass with extended warranties. from my experience, the CVT has been suspect all along. we only have 22k miles on it in the 3 years we've owned it, so our day of reckoning is likely delayed a bit. but, it'll come and we'll be outside the warranty period and be screwed.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 10:57 am 
That misbehaving transmission sounds like a safety issue which needs a recall.  I wonder if there are similar issues with the 2016 - 2017 models.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Aug 10, 2017 12:13 pm 
Glad I went out of my way to get a 2013 Forester... the last forester year without a CVT.  No way was I going to buy a new technology on year 1(this was a few years ago).  Even from a company with a good reputation that is asking for trouble...
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 pm 
I got two of those letters. One for our 2014 Impreza (my daughters car), the other for my 2015 Outback limited.  I have 64k miles on the 2015. No transmission issues yet (knock on wood).
I do have the 6 banger so dunno if that makes a difference.  I got suckered into the 100k extended warranty so I guess I'm good till then regardless.

--------------
My flickr photo site.
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 1:52 pm 
iron wrote:
basically, their CVT sucks and people are reporting issues and now subaru is trying to cover their ass with extended warranties.

I've got a friend in Sweden who drives a Subaru boxer diesel Outback.  He gets over 50 mpg with it.  When I talked with the Subaru North America representative about that engine she told me that they wont bring it to the US because they don't have an auto transmission strong enough to handle all that torque, and that Americans wont buy manual transmission vehicles!

REALLY?  Americans wont buy a Subaru Outback that gets over 50 MPG?  Total BS IMO. down.gif  moon.gif

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:45 pm 
bpj, you missed the point.  Americans won't buy MANUAL TRANSMISSIONS.  As if you needed another proof what morons they are (sorry, I'm permanently jaundiced after last November).  And how lazy.  As well, they regard cheap gas as a basic human right - so who needs a car that gets 50mpg.

You can't even get an Outback with a manual transmission any more.  It was still an option on a Forester as of 2017.  Don't know about 2018.

Europeans have a lot of very high mileage diesel options available to them.  Ya think the price of their gas may have something to do with that?

We once drove from Seattle to Revelstoke and back in a diesel car.  Finally, stopped - once - for gas in Mt. Vernon on the way back.
mike

mike
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 2:59 pm 
(previously posted ??)
(previously posted ??)
RichP

RichP
PostFri Nov 10, 2017 4:38 pm 
I've only ever had vehicles with manual transmissions. My 2004 Forester is manual and I think it's one of the few models they offer with it now.  frown.gif

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > help educate me on subarus
  Happy Birthday MountainMan, Samwise, leletinka!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: