Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Beer-delivery drone grounded by FAA
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 9:34 pm 
Drone beer delivery -- coming soon to your favorite peak.
Quote:
Beer-delivery drone grounded by FAA January 31, 2014 (CNN) -- Ice fishers in Minnesota are reeling from a recent FAA decision prohibiting beer delivery by drone. Local brewery Lakemaid was testing a new drone delivery system to airlift frosty cases of beer to fishermen holed up in ice shacks on Mille Lacs Lake. After spotting a Lakemaid YouTube video that went up last week of one of the unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) on a test run, the Federal Aviation Administration contacted Lakemaid and told the company to stop...

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtngirl79

mtngirl79
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 9:38 pm 
well thats disappointing..

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 9:49 pm 
Only a matter of time. Apparently, we could see commercial drone traffic in the sky as soon as 2017. Remote beer delivery would be interesting, though at first there will be distance limits. That blonde woman in the vid looks like our resident Schmidt Alti-Babe. up.gif

“I never give them hell. I just tell the truth and they think it's hell.” — Harry S. Truman
hiker1

hiker1
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 pm 
Beer cases can weigh a lot especially if bottles are used. Cans would be lighter and cheaper. Only short distances if the drones are small and battery powered. It'll be a while til you can order drone delivery of a six-pack to Dickerman summit from Granite Falls...

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:29 pm 
Looks and sounds like a half-rack of bottles in the vid. At Snoqualmie Pass the mini-mart gas station and small store/cafe attached to the public bathroom could set up potentially thriving businesses: flying beer (and other stuff) to the summer crowds at Snow Lake and other nearby popular destinations, though as Wilderness, it probably wouldn't be allowed. How much will people be willing to pay for the novelty of an ice cold half-rack delivered on demand? $50+ or so? Money to be made. The thought of the skies buzzing with drones over our backcountry is depressing.

hiker1

hiker1
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:36 pm 
Blue Dome wrote:
The thought of the skies over the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, or other such places, buzzing with drones is depressing.
Almost as depressing as the lengths some people would go to hijack the drones to get beer that someone else had ordered, or even to shoot down the drones. . .

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:39 pm 
hiker1 wrote:
Almost as depressing as the lengths some people would go to hijack the drones to get beer that someone else had ordered, or even to shoot down the drones. . .
Which, of course, will happen.

Badger

Badger
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:47 pm 
mtngirl79 wrote:
well thats disappointing..
There goes any hope of a peak delivery. clown.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 10:50 pm 
I would' worry too much as I do not believe that type of drown could carry a half rack as shown 12x12 oz = 144 oz= 9 lb. the video is a farce huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostFri Jan 31, 2014 11:11 pm 
MC is partially right. The vid is real, but they had to remove some of the bottles to get it to lift off -- though the technology exists to do the job.
Quote:
But the reality of delivering beers by drone is not a simple operation. In the video you see a 12-pack take to the skies under the clutches of a six-propeller drone, though in reality it wasn't able to carry a full load. "It did deliver the box with something in it," Supple says. "[But] we had to keep taking bottles out to get it off the ground." An eight-propeller drone that's capable of lifting nearly 16 pounds would make short work of it though, and was going to be the delivery vehicle of choice for a real version of the service.
Rest assured, remote beer delivery isn't far off.
Quote:
During an earnings call last month, FedEx's chief executive also noted that its current drone delivery research was currently capable of carrying "about" four cans of beer, with an operational time of roughly eight minutes.
http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/29/5358574/faa-puts-microbrewerys-drone-beer-delivery-project-on-ice

Frosty

Frosty
PostSat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 am 
I think they have a fairly short fly time ~15 minutes. If you are out of town, you would be out of luck! ( and safe from obnoxious buzzing noises) I wonder what an eagle would do if it saw one? I've seen migrating eagles up from the coast dive bomb a duck in the air.

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
graffiti

graffiti
PostSat Feb 01, 2014 10:11 am 
How many are going to haul the empties back down with them?

And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Feb 01, 2014 10:49 am 
Frosty wrote:
I think they have a fairly short fly time ~15 minutes.
As soon as the market develops, technical issues like flight time and weight carrying capacity will be quickly addressed.

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn

Blue Dome
Now with Retsyn
PostSat Feb 01, 2014 10:51 am 
graffiti wrote:
How many are going to haul the empties back down with them?
Yep, more stuff available in remote places, means more litter in remote places. Sadly inevitable.

lostintheforest

lostintheforest
PostSat Feb 01, 2014 2:32 pm 
the future sucks. i mean, how am i supposed to live in a world where i have to go to a store to get beer and then take it to where i want to drink it?