Forum Index > Trip Reports > Red Mountain 5880' ski, Cle Elum Valley: Feb 8, 2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
John Morrow

John Morrow
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 10:10 am 
Any snowshoe mountaineers out there, Red Mountain is quite beautiful right now in knee high powder. For easier (and avy safer) trail breaking make a trail in forest down low when possible and then routefind to one of the upper ridgelines separating the basins where wind pack eliminates any wallow potential. Enjoy the deep light snow (running, plunging, diving, sommersaulting) on the way down! Jake and I chose the northernmost basin today after using the trail through the lower old growth that Pico and I broke a few days ago. Snow was amazing in here with little wind effect. Just more than a foot of uncohesive light snow.
Into basin
Into basin
Summit pops out
Summit pops out
Gorgeous day
Gorgeous day
IMG_6210
IMG_6210
Climbing higher
Climbing higher
IMG_6215
IMG_6215
First run was off the summit and a new line for us down the south slope/face. Great new line that Jake scoped out and tested for stability!
Off the top
Off the top
IMG_6218
IMG_6218
Down the south slope
Down the south slope
Then we had just enough time to safely skin back up the main basin for turns back down to the end of the basin. Even the clearcut below skied well, until the coverage was so thin I wish I had snowshoes through the leafless vine maple!
2nd run
2nd run
South slope ski
South slope ski
light and fun
light and fun
and fast
and fast
leaving the basin
leaving the basin
A wonderful choice considering the crazy east winds and their effects up along the crest. Various approach details can be deciphered here: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8003751&highlight= https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8002620&highlight= https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7996878&highlight=

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE

hams nut
ALL SMILES HERE
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 11:13 pm 
great job !!!! I can't wait to dig agates there this summer smile.gif

"People shooting ski areas should be sued" Author Mr.Bruce Bennedict
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message