Forum Index > Gear Talk > Chains for subarus
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sten

sten
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 8:49 pm 
I have a friend who just bought a new outback. Their question is what kind of chains do they need? Their home range habitat includes California, oregon and Washington with occasional sightings in Montana, Nevada and Arizona. The advice they are typically receiving includes, "dude, you have a subaru, you don't need no stinking chains (but the CHP may make you show you have something)" .. So two wheels or four Chains, cables, m&s tires or nada So my questions are, what have you actually used, what have you been directed to use, what did you wish you had, and what about the subaru awd system makes any of that relevant? Tia

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 9:03 pm 
I have cables. Because I am very comfortable with how to put the similar model cables on my husband's BMW. (Though the incredibly low clearance in the wheel wells is annoying as all get out - can't put a hand in there if I'm wearing gloves; he can't get his hand in there very much at all!) I think I've used them... never. But they're in the back of the car just in case I need something extra. Not saying it's the best choice, just the one we went with.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 9:20 pm 
In Washington, WSDOT requires ALL vehicles, AWD included, to CARRY chains in the mountains and where posted, like Mt. Rainier NP. During hazardous conditions, WSP and their MRNP brethren will set up roadblocks and turn back AWD and 4WD vehicles not carrying chains and 2WD not using chains. In extremely bad conditions, WSP can require chains installed on all vehicles, including AWD/4WD. I think Oregon and California have similar rules. The Suby's low clearance wheel wells are what makes using chains problematic. So as a practical matter, even though the Suby manual explicitly says not to use chains, a set of cable chains suitable for low-clearance wheel wells should be carried in one's car all winter long to satisfy the DOT requirement. I have seen where chains were needed to get a Subaru up steep, icy roads. If you only have one set, install them on the front wheels. Two sets installed on all four wheels are better. Personally, I don't want to be driving in those conditions.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 9:51 pm 
Cable chains are the way to go to meet WSDOT requirements -- If in some wild circumstance you actually need to install them and drive some distance -- its a good practice to stop after driving 100 yards or so and retighten them. Note that while chains dramaticly increase your vehicles "go" traction the improvement in "stop" traction is much much less.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Feb 09, 2014 10:18 pm 
sten wrote:
So my questions are, what have you actually used, what have you been directed to use, what did you wish you had, and what about the subaru awd system makes any of that relevant?
AWD/4WD systems (I'm not going to debate which AWD/4WD system is better) do provide an advantage in providing forward momentum in slippery conditions over two wheel drive. What AWD/4WD systems do not provide over two wheel drive is little if any meaningful advantage stopping or turning. quote="RandyHiker"]Note that while chains dramaticly increase your vehicles "go" traction the improvement in "stop" traction is much much less.[/quote] ^ While i agree with this statement....it's also important to note that chains do provide an improvement over "stop" traction over not having chains.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 am 
I've never needed to chain up an AWD Subie in many years of driving them. But it is so that WSDOT sometimes requires chains on all vehicles. IME, Thule CG-9 are great chains for passenger cars with tight clearances. 9mm inside clearance required. Much better than cables.

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 am 
I killed a pair of those CG-9s in approximately four uses. A couple of the links snapped. I won't be spending $180 on those ever again. YMMV.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 9:46 am 
Well there's always spider spikes. Pricy but can' beat the ease of use. If you are really gonna drive a lot in crappy conditions (especially with 2WD), I'd serious consider.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 11:43 am 
I have a set of cheap cables. Don't know which ones specifically. I've never used them. They're just there because I'm required to have them sometimes.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 1:59 pm 
These are the ones we have: http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction-product-choices/super-z6-tire-chains/ I'm amused to read about the "low clearance issue" on the subarus. Because, compared to the other car we have, there's loads of clearance! But yeah - I've never installed them on the Subie outside of once to test, iirc, just on the BMW a few times (never driving the RWD car in snow again, though, so probably will never install the cables again).

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 3:51 pm 
I have an AWD Subaru Outback that I don't even own chains for. But I do have some old chains left over from another car (that don't even fit) that I toss into the car just for appeasing the State Patrol. rolleyes.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:05 pm 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
These are the ones we have: http://www.scc-chain.com/tire-chain-finder/traction-product-choices/super-z6-tire-chains/
I have the same ones for my Outback. I've put them on only once, driving to Heather Lake of all places. Was nearing the trailhead, driving in a few inches of icy snow, when the big pickup in front of me went sideways and nosed into a ditch. No way to get around him so I backed up but was in an especially icy spot at the bottom of a depression over a culvert. Couldn't get enough traction to go forward or backwards. Put the chains on the front wheels and drove right out with no issue. Took the chains off 5 minutes later when I reached the highway. Also have significantly better tires since that incident, haven't needed the chains since but keep them just in case.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm 
Cables are convenient, but they suck compared to real chaines. You can get snow chains or ice cleat chains.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
T Mary

T Mary
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:33 pm 
Same issue with my Saturn Vue. I bought these: California and Washington now approve AutoSock for use as an alternative traction device to tire chains for cars and trucks. You can shop for them and your size online. The details on the approval by Washington are listed at the website link www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/traction. California’s approval notice is on the attached bulletin from the California DOT and alternative traction devices are now accepted (see pdf). Visit Caltrans website for further details at www.dot.co.gov/hq/roadinof/ChainRequire.pdf. AutoSock has been approved in Colorado for over three years. AutoSock is the easy to use textile cover designed to help vehicles get traction on snow and ice. It is the only supplier of traction solutions to thirteen car manufactures in Europe and Asia. Over two million pairs have been sold worldwide. Additionally, AutoSock has now released the use of the product for commercial buses. Washington State Patrol website comments: “I can’t use regular cable chains because there’s not enough clearance in the wheel well. What other approved traction devices can I use?” It is recommended you consult the vehicle owner’s manual to see what the manufacturer suggests. The following alternative traction devices are certified by their manufacturer as meeting or exceeding chain requirements in accordance with WAC 204-24-035 and are therefore considered approved for use when “Chains Required” signs are posted: ◾For passenger cars the following alternative traction device is approved: AutoSock ◾For vehicles or vehicle combinations over 10,000 pounds: 1.With five or less axles: AutoSock 2.With six or more axles: No alternative traction device has been certified by a manufacture as meeting the requirements for approval.

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
sten

sten
PostMon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm 
Thanks for the responses all. Nice to have some confirmations from real users. Which seems to be, for the general user, get a pair to show the cops and get out of really sticky situations. But most times if you need chains on a subie you probably want to reconsider your destination.