Forum Index > Food & Grub > Been experimenting with a dehydrator, making trail foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
flybynight

flybynight
PostSun Mar 09, 2014 6:04 pm 
wondered about plastic trays

Only the homely
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Mar 09, 2014 8:32 pm 
No, I am not "knee jerking". It is simply when you see an anti-FBC comment, often there is a "I won't use these recipes or concepts" and there isn't a "Oh, I can prepare this anyway I want!". The one thing to not forget about FBC is you are NOT boiling the meals. The water does not need to be at boiling (even 180* works) for food to rehydrate. Yes, as a society we do use a lot of plastic - but in the gist of things how many meals do you eat a year on the trail? Not many for most. Commercial meal bags (Mt. House and similar) all have lined bags, that contain the same polyethylene that freezer bags contain.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
snowdeuce
Camp Cook

snowdeuce
Camp Cook
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 7:53 am 
The one problem I'm having with the freezer bag cooking so far is that often I can't use the bag that I packed the meal in. All those little pointy bits seem to poke tiny holes in the bag. I'm going to order a couple of those heavy-duty bags from Packit Gourmet to do the actual "cooking" in. If they're too difficult to clean and re-use, perhaps I'll have to just pack a few extra regular bags for cooking purposes only. Any other suggestions on that end? As to the FBC "controversy," I suspect that this has been discussed at length on other threads, as well as Sarbar's website. May I ask that we limit this thread to discussion of food itself? Gazpacho v 2.0 is going into the dehydrator today.

Repeal the parking fee for WA state public lands! The Ninth Circuit court has said this isn't allowed for federal public lands; why are we allowing it at the state level?
renegadepilgrim

renegadepilgrim
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 8:16 am 
snowdeuce wrote:
The one problem I'm having with the freezer bag cooking so far is that often I can't use the bag that I packed the meal in. All those little pointy bits seem to poke tiny holes in the bag. I'm going to order a couple of those heavy-duty bags from Packit Gourmet to do the actual "cooking" in. If they're too difficult to clean and re-use, perhaps I'll have to just pack a few extra regular bags for cooking purposes only. Any other suggestions on that end? As to the FBC "controversy," I suspect that this has been discussed at length on other threads, as well as Sarbar's website. May I ask that we limit this thread to discussion of food itself? Gazpacho v 2.0 is going into the dehydrator today.
I've used Packit Gourmet bags with no trouble. I have not tried reusing them but it's definitely a possibility as they are very sturdy. As to the "controversy", some people like to be contrarian just because they can. I choose to ignore them. Especially since Sarbar has written a few books about this stuff...she kinda knows it pretty well. I've been perusing her two most recent books and cannot wait to try some of these recipes out this year!

_____________________________ Travel Blog: http://renegadepilgrim.com Trail Reports: http://wenthiking.com/renegadepilgrim Instagram: renegadepilgrim
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 8:43 am 
One way to avoid pokies, is line your bags with a sheet of new dye free paper towel - it is what works best if you happen to store meals in Food Vac bags as well. Then, take out the paper towel when making and hey, you have a free towel for dinner ;-) Also, seal bags for storage, then roll up like a cigar - that keeps air out and no crushing of food.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Mar 17, 2014 10:48 am 
A quick difference of opinion regarding the comment poo-pooing the liner trays. I do a lot of dehydrated soups/chillies/stews and the one big advantage the liner trays (Nesco calls them "fruit rollup sheets" blurry link) have is that they have a raised lip along the outer edge and the inner hole that keep soupy stuff from running off the edge. Oh yeah, and the hole in the middle also provides better air circulation. Yes FBC does not need to be in a FB. Perhaps it should be rebranded "Add-hot-water-and-let-sit" cooking? Despite the reassurances to the contrary, I'm also concerned about near-boiling temperature water being added to plastic bags leeching out chemicals, so I just use the little pot I heat the water in and then eat out of it. Cleans in a jiffy with just a paper towel and a little water.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Mar 17, 2014 12:46 pm 
When you use parchment paper, you cut out the center so if fits. Also it can be lipped as well.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Mar 17, 2014 1:16 pm 
I will second the parchment paper. I have a couple of the plastic liner trays, and the parchment worked just fine, if not better. (The parchment doesn't require bleaching to remove the stains- you just toss it out.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Mar 31, 2014 10:10 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Yes FBC does not need to be in a FB. Perhaps it should be rebranded "Add-hot-water-and-let-sit" cooking? Despite the reassurances to the contrary, I'm also concerned about near-boiling temperature water being added to plastic bags leeching out chemicals, so I just use the little pot I heat the water in and then eat out of it. Cleans in a jiffy with just a paper towel and a little water.
Passive cooking is what it's called. The recent news about plastics taking their play book from big tobacco has everyone who is paying any attention very concerned. I've never bought a prepackaged meal.. I did FBC for about a year and then quit because I found it to be too messy. Now I mostly simmer and or passive cook my meals. I DIY as much as possible, I've even won a backpacking cooking contest and I've been using a dehydrator for 30 odd years. But this forum is not a pissing contest or a cooking contest. Since I have children I am especially concerned with estrogenic chemicals in foods. I am eliminating as much plastic as possible from my kitchen. http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/tritan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 01, 2014 6:59 am 
Please don't take this wrong but I hope you don't use things like coffee cups from places like coffee shops. Those contain plastic liners as well, well hidden. Myself, I have found one can live relatively plastic free in a kitchen - and so we do - mostly because I prefer glass or ceramic anyways. But when it comes to trail time, I don't overthink. If I am only out a few days a year, I am not going to sweat using plastic bottles or bags. Because 360 days a year I drink out of Mason jars at home wink.gif

Woopsadaisy

Woopsadaisy
PostThu Jul 03, 2014 11:18 am 
My gazpacho is flavorful and the vegetables are good, but I agree that the tomato is too leathery. Also the olive oil is needing blotted out ALOT. How did it work to do them separately? Woops

All good things are wild and free. -Thoreau
DrakeBrimstone

DrakeBrimstone
PostWed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 am 
I really don't understand why so many people are concerned about FBC. ZipLock Freezer Bags are BPA free and FDA certified for Boil In Bag cooking. FBC applies LESS heat then Boil In Bag. The concern of heating in Plastic primarily has to do with BPAs, which I might add are considered harmful only to Children (developing bodies.) If you have an old Water Bottle that isn't BPA free, you can even safely let your child use it as long as you don't put HOT liquids in it. It is been tested, the BPAs only release with heat.