Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 9:04 am 
So...I buy one of those "tubes" of hamburger because it is already wrapped for freezing and it was on sale. I throw it into my freezer and I took it out this week to grill some burgers. I thawed it in my refrigerator, still wrapped, and cut it open when it was still a little stiff. I immediately noticed this did not smell like any hamburger, much less any beef, i have ever encountered. It had an almost ammonia-like odor. Not strong and overpowering like household ammonia, but noticeable. It had no odor of blood or anything that reminded me of hamburger. I made up a couple patties since it was thawed and I cooked them thoroughly on a hot grill. The odor coming off the grill was not that of cooking beef to me. This odor was not anything like spoiled, old, or even rancid meat, but rather mildly "chemically" smelling and ever so slightly "sour" too. I took a sniff of the cooked patties and tossed them out. No meat smell, no rotten smell, more like something that had just been cleaned with windex. I am not sure I would feed this stuff to a dog because it resembles hamburger only in appearance. It was pretty close to the correct color and texture, but that was it. What the heck was in the package? I still have most of it in the 'frig but I will toss it tonight. Has anyone else experienced anything like this with hamburger before?

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 9:27 am 
Don't buy prepackaged... lol.gif
Quote:
Remember, Moss is writing about ground beef that comes prepackaged -- not that might be ground at your local meat market. Anyway, our (un)favorite part of the story was the description of "binder," largely fat and meat scraps companies put together and then treat with ammonia to kill bacteria. It's then mixed with other ground beef to make the final product fattier and cheaper. If your hamburger smells like a kitchen floor, that's why.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 9:43 am 
Holy cr@p! eek.gif I read about that pink slime but didn't remember until you posted that. That was the first time I haven't bought fresh ground beef...and the last.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 9:45 am 
hmmm..... paranoid.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm 
You haven't noticed the shortage of opossum carion on the roadways? I have never bought tubed hamburger and never will.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 2:28 pm 
I don't suspect you want to see how/what they put in fresh ground beef either, but heck I enjoy an occasional hamburger anyway, at least they seem to hold the ammonia... lol.gif

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 3:00 pm 
Ranger Smith wrote:
You haven't noticed the shortage of opossum carion on the roadways?
hahahaha...only in Idaho! https://fishandgame.idaho.gov/species/roadkill

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 4:42 pm 
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/31/us/31meat.html?pagewanted=all "The company, Beef Products Inc., had been looking to expand into the hamburger business with a product made from beef that included fatty trimmings the industry once relegated to pet food and cooking oil. The trimmings were particularly susceptible to contamination, but a study commissioned by the company showed that the ammonia process would kill E. coli as well as salmonella."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 6:16 pm 
PBS Frontline - "Modern Meat" - Originally aired April 2002 This documentary is the reason I rarely buy beef, and never buy ground beef anymore (fresh or frozen, let alone in a tube). Just say NO to burgers.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Jul 11, 2014 6:58 pm 
i stopped buying any tubular-packaged meat over 10 years ago, including jimmy dean sausage. by the time that stuff arrives at the local supermarket, it's already heavily oxidized not to mention the fact that it contains ingredients you would never volunteer to eat anyway... i have a grinder attachment for a kitchenaid stand mixer, so i buy a whole chunk of meat and grind it up myself. a food processor is supposed to work even better, but i don't have one..

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jul 12, 2014 8:22 am 
Do what Marzsit does!! You really, really do not want to eat package ground meat!!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Frosty

Frosty
PostMon Jul 14, 2014 2:11 pm 
I knew there was a good reason to have a couple of cows out back, just didn't know I could have been eating ammonia all these years... wink.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Jul 17, 2014 3:23 am 
Frosty wrote:
I knew there was a good reason to have a couple of cows out back, just didn't know I could have been eating ammonia all these years... wink.gif
not just ammonia, there is plenty of TSP (tri-sodium-phosphate) in that ground-up garbage as well.. TSP is an excellent concrete driveway stripper and cleaner..... it's also allowed by the fda as a cleaner in meat processing plants.......

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostThu Jul 17, 2014 3:33 am 
if i could just figure out the jimmy dean sausage seasoning..............frown.gif i've tried.. and i've searched.. just can't get the spices right but, i have figured out how to make authentic 'colonel harland sanders' original recipe pressure-fried chicken at home using excellent-quality chicken, and a lot less salt than KFC corporate uses. marion-kay 99X and a magefesa star pressure cooker smile.gif 99x does contain msg, but so did the colonel's original recipe. i am not sensitive to it, but some are...

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 17, 2014 11:04 am 
marzsit wrote:
i've tried.. and i've searched.. just can't get the spices right
Apparently you should try some ammonia!