Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What to do with a 12 year old in a wheelchair on a rainy day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 8:36 am 
Very long story very short, we do not have kids of our own (never have), but now have a 12 year old with cerebral palsy on the weekends. He can walk short distances but outside the house he sticks mostly to his wheelchair. I’m looking for things to do with him, particularly on a rainy day, and hopefully on the north side (but we’ll always drive for a good time). He’s a great kid and I love having him as part of our life but this is all new to us so we are struggling with weekend day trip ideas a 12 year old will enjoy and will be wheelchair friendly. He loves NFL football and history. Ideas? I want to get out of the hose as much as possible because at the house all he wants to do is play playstation... (is that normal for a 12 year old?)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 8:39 am 
We took him to the Seattle Aquarium a couple weeks back and that was great. Oddly, he absolutely loved playing trivia at buffalo wild wings. The museum of flight and reptile museum are on the list already.

kite

kite
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 9:10 am 
Pacific Science Center Experience Music Project Museum Ferry Rides

suziq999

suziq999
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 11:00 am 
They have the lego exhibit at the EMP museum right now!

wolffie

wolffie
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 11:40 am 
Green Lake (bring binocs for birding). Discovery Park. I've been down the new Pratt Connecter trail from the Middle Fork Snoqualmie bridge twice this winter. Once the snow is gone (there was some last weekend, maybe a lot more now), that new trail is remarkably flat and smooth, a hike along a gentle big river in the forest. My wife gave me a glider ride out of Arlington once. Wow.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 3:04 pm 
There are more wheelchair accessible trails than you might think. I was surprised to find some at Mt. Saint Helens last time I visited Ape Caves. Here's one compilation: http://www.traillink.com/stateactivity/wa-wheelchair-accessible-trails.aspx

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 4:32 pm 
If he enjoys history, he'd like Museum of History and Industry. He may enjoy the architecture at the UW campus and might as well hit the Burke Museum. Seattle Center has awesome fountains to check out. On a fine day, hit the new accessible portion of the Old Sauk trail.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
gb

gb
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 4:44 pm 
Discovery Park. For the child with the wheelchair you can get a permit to drive down to the beach and park. Then you can walk (ride) the flat boardwalk trail just above the beach. The trail continues along the south beach and along the north beach.

ScottP

ScottP
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:15 pm 
+1 for Museum of History and Industry +1 for the Science Center. My teenage kids really liked the Science Fiction and Horror Film exhibits. On the waterfront: The Seattle Sculpture Park Ride the Ferris Wheel Take a ferry to Winslow Museum of Flight-the WWI and WWII exhibits are awesome.

Token Civilian

Token Civilian
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:44 pm 
You already said Museum of Flight, but don't forget the Paul Allen collection at Paine Field as well. Bonus over and above just aircraft: Tanks (Sherman, T-34/85 and a Kraut SP gun, the Hetzer) 88mm Kraut FLAK guns. Mechanics working on the aircraft so they may be opened up and partially taken apart.

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 5:54 pm 
How about all the derelict steam loco's in Snoqualmie? Not to mention the falls are right over there...

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 6:04 pm 
Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. You can go waaay out on the boardwalk. Bring binoculars. Lots of birds. Northwest Trek Wildlife Park near Eatonville. Wolf Haven near Tenino.

touron

touron
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 8:06 pm 
Kubota Gardens in South Seattle is wheelchair accessible, and would be a good place to visit on a nice spring day when the flowers start blooming. Also, the loop around Seward Park can be done in a wheelchair. I wonder if swimming might be a possibility. Glass blowing? There is also the museum in Tacoma.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 pm 
Lincoln Park. The trail at the brink of the bluff is flat and wide enough for a wheelchair. Cool place. Lots of birds too and migration will peak in a few weeks.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Mar 06, 2014 10:12 pm 
Sculpture park by waterfront, Coulon Beach trail, Family Fun Center in Kent, and others already listed. All from Lynda who did transition program in Izzy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn