Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What to do with a 12 year old in a wheelchair on a rainy day
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 am 
There have been many thousands of dollars spent to make the trail to Big 4 ice caves wheel chair accessible, so once the snow is gone I would think that would be a great destination. I have never seen anyone in a wheel chair on that trail, although I think it would be doable.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 am 
Whidbey Tour. Deception Pass Bridge. Many of the Deception Pass SP sights are close to parking. (Bowman Bay, Kokwalawoot!) Ebey Landing, the cemetery off Cook Rd. Ft. Casey(16 inch guns!) Hide and seek in the ammo bunkers!) Coupeville for lunch. Ferry ride home. Dinner at Ivars in Mukilteo. Thanks for helping out an exceptional kid. Tom PS: Big 4 would be tough for wheelchair but I did it with a baby stroller. (Road is closed now)

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 6:05 am 
AlpineRose wrote:
Nisqually Wildlife Refuge. You can go waaay out on the boardwalk. Bring binoculars. Lots of birds.
up.gif up.gif on that one, bring camera and wear comfortable shoes! I think it's a mile and 1/4 or thereabouts from the parking lot to the outermost stretch of the boardwalk. Lots of wildlife to watch/identify. The Pacific Science Center is great, we take the grandkids there every time we visit. And as long as you're there in the general area, the Pike Street market offers a great variety of things to see, but is quite crowded, so the wheelchair tour will take more time. Ferry across the sound to Bainbridge Island for lunch, there are a couple of restaurants on the harbor, nice view of all the boating activities. The Oregon Museum of Science and Industry in Portland is another great place for kids (and big kids).

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 9:24 am 
NW Trek is also good! It is fully wheel chair accessible, and there is the tram as well smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 11:07 am 
not for a rainy day but fly a kite at Gasworks

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 pm 
Get one of those things that make giant 6' long bubbles and see how many he can chase down and pop in his wheel chair.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Mar 07, 2014 1:59 pm 
Nothing to add unless you plan to come to the Portland area (lots of accessible waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge), but I do want to add words of praise for your help to this young man!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 8:44 am 
Thanks all! Got quite a list now. There are some wide flat wooded trails in our neighborhood that we've taken him on and he loved that. Not paved and it was slow/hard going but he insisted we not help him and he muscled through most of it. He's asked to do it again but it's been too rainy/wet/muddy.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 9:25 am 
How about the Olympic Game Farm in Sequim?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:13 am 
Later in the summer if you are ever over in the Lake Wenatchee area you would take him into Hidden Lake up near the Glacier View campground. They re-routed that trail some years ago and now it is basically almost flat and with just a little effort I would say wheel chair accessible. And also very short, I think around half a mile. The lake has good trout fishing in the early summer.

Frosty

Frosty
PostTue Mar 11, 2014 9:33 am 
Check out the Little Bit Therapeutic riding center. I see on the web it is in the Puget Sound area.It is a special feeling for kids to get on a horse and be riding. A great confidence builder to conquer the initial intimidation they may feel upon meeting a horse for the first time. Our local CHAAPS program also works with therapeutic dogs. I pick up my wheelchair today. Hopefully it doesn't have a leaky tire like the one I had for my last broken leg... Our neighbourhood wheelchair accessible trail is still buried in snow. It is fortunate at this time of year that you guys live where it is just wet!

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
Badger

Badger
PostTue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 am 
Flying? Check out IFly: http://seattle.iflyworld.com/ http://seattle.iflyworld.com/what-is-ifly/faqs "Also, some iFLY locations are wheelchair accessible and can fly people with certain physical disabilities, including amputation and paraplegia" You would have to talk with them to find out more. But if it is possible this would make for a great day.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostTue Mar 11, 2014 10:47 am 
I made a list of all the trail and day trip suggestions. Thanks! Horseback riding may be interesting. He'd love the Ifly! I think he could do that. take off and landing would be tough for him though. I want to get him in a kayak and see how he does. I'm new to this world, but in a kayak his disability is mostly no longer an issue (he has pretty good use of both arms). I think that would be empowering, to be on equal terms with everyone else.

Frosty

Frosty
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 7:32 am 
If he's got good arms, you should contact someone in your area for sit-ski info. Both cross country and downhill. Record some of the sit-skiing Paralympics to get him excited. The sledge hockey is out there too, but isn't skiing.... cool.gif

Frosty, Lucky enough to live where it snows in the winter! smile.gif
Kathleen

Kathleen
PostSat Apr 12, 2014 9:18 pm 
Lemay Car Museum in Tacoma. Fully wheel chair accessible. If you're military, have state farm insurance for your car or work for state farm you get a discount. Always a plus.