Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paul Peak/Elizabeth Ridge MRNP 03-07-2014
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Mar 09, 2014 2:36 pm 
I'm trying to rebuild my strength in my lower back after 2 surgeries so I thought it would be good to get back into the mountains again. With high avy danger I thought it best to stay in the trees and stay low. I've eyed Paul Peak for years for some unknow reason, so Friday would be the day to get up! SR 165 is in pretty bad shape after the pavement ends. It reminded me of the Mid Fork Road frown.gif I got to within 1/4 mile of the closed gate at Rainier due to very wet/heavy/soupy snow, being solo I decided to park and go on foot.
Wet heavy snow kept me 1/4 mile from the TH
Wet heavy snow kept me 1/4 mile from the TH
Once on the Paul Peak Trail there was surprisingly little snow to be found.
Near the start of the trail
Near the start of the trail
Meadow Creek crossing
Meadow Creek crossing
The trail is in good condition and I followed it to the western most part and went off trail up the ridge from there.
Off trail from here
Off trail from here
Heading up was simple, no views but still fun. I found 2 rock outcroppings around 4400' (I think) and got a decent view from the top of one of them. The Paul Peak summit is rather benign and viewless.
Nearing the summit of Paul Peak
Nearing the summit of Paul Peak
I followed the ridge to the east and found a small view of Rainier.
Her majesty
Her majesty
The ridge gets fun in a few spots as I continued east and the snow started to build up too.
Deep snow and lots of fallen trees
Deep snow and lots of fallen trees
Nearing the start of Hayden Creek I donned my snowshoes as the snow got knee deep and I postholed every step. From there I had 1,000' to the top of Elizabeth Ridge. There was so much melting snow above me that I thought it was raining as I ascended.
Elizabeth Ridge clearing
Elizabeth Ridge clearing
Once I reached a clearing I realized that it wasn't rain after all like I had thought. Quickly I found a view to the south.
View from Elizabeth ridge south
View from Elizabeth ridge south
A few minutes later and I was at the top.
Elizabeth ridge
Elizabeth ridge
From there I headed down to Mowich Lake. Part of the route down was rather steep and I took it easy so that I wouldn't fall and mess up my back. Finally I reached the lake and the mostly buried bathroom and info kiosk.
Mowich Lake crapper
Mowich Lake crapper
Covered info kiosk
Covered info kiosk
I made a new friend.
Lonely bird
Lonely bird
I shortcutted part of the road via the Grindstone Trail before enduring the rest of the slog back to the car.
Waterfall
Waterfall
Waterfall
Waterfall
Route from Paul Peak back to the car
Route from Paul Peak back to the car
Mowich Lake pano
Mowich Lake pano

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Mar 09, 2014 5:03 pm 
Bryan, way to get out...but take it easy with the back. My wife had her lower four fused two years ago and is still taking it easy (but she may be over doing it a bit). Hope you get back over our way for a hike or two this summer.

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 7:58 am 
Bryan K wrote:
The Paul Peak summit is rather benign and viewless.
Thanks for confirming my suspicisions. I found it interesting they call it the Paul Peak trail and it really doesn't go close to Paul Peak. Is it pretty easy going (as far as snow, I know the potholes suck) to drive to where you parked or did the snow start getting tricky on the road ealier? What did you drive up? I like just walking the road up to Mowich as long as you can drive/get reasonably close to the gate.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:27 am 
The snow on the road got deep and mushy pretty quickly. Being solo I didn't want to chance getting my Subaru stuck. I stopped about 1/4 mile short of the TH. A few trucks with mudders appeared to get to the TH, but I think they also got stuck in a few spots.

silence

silence
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 4:44 pm 
up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostTue Mar 11, 2014 5:17 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif nice pics and report Bryan. Baby that back. See you soon.....b cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostTue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 am 
Nice job, Bryan! (As always) It was also good seeing you at the "100 Peaks of Mount Rainier" presentation the other night. It is an interesting list, although some of the peaks on and off the list are bizarre. In example, some peaks on the list are not within Mount Rainier National Park. Heck, some "peaks" on the list are not really peaks... just named summits. Giving the example of this TR: Paul Peak is included on the list but nearby Elizabeth Ridge, which is higher and more prominent, is not on the list. I wonder what the criteria was by those who created the list? It was not really explained at the presentation. Either way, it was good to see you get out into the mountains again. I hope you get to do so many more times this year. up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.