Forum Index > Partners > CAR EXCHANGES for PCT Section hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eppo

Eppo
PostMon Mar 10, 2014 10:25 am 
Greetings! I am seeking multi-day backpackers for "car exchanges" this season. A car exchange is when you meet up with another group before you begin your trip. You exchange vehicles with the other group and hike in opposite directions. When you get to the trailhead YOUR vehicle is waiting and you just drive home. This technique works really well for section hiking the PCT in Washington or for long Olympic National Park treks like hiking the wilderness coast, the Bailey Traverse, or the Low Divide trek. There are many advantages to this technique: • No long shuttle required while you are dirty and tired. • Saves gas, time, and is better for the environment. • No coordination required with the other group after exchange. • Start on the same day, makes no difference if group A covers the distance in four days and group B takes six days. Who am I? An avid backpacker and mountaineer now in my late fifties. I am a NOLS graduate circa 1974 and a former Outward Bound Instructor. I seek to complete about 300 miles of backpacking each year and I hike year round. You can explore my "body of work" in the public arena at the Olympia Hiking Meetup Group (http://www.meetup.com/hiking-235/). Scroll on past calendar months. Just about every multi-day trek posted in 2013 is a trip I organized. I am always seeking hiking partners as well. I usually average about ten miles a day. Specifically, I want to do Low Divide - ONP in late July, Columbia River to White Pass PCT in August, and Hart Pass to Canadian Border PCT in September.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostTue Mar 11, 2014 4:53 pm 
I might be interested in car exchange on the PCT, if I can't get my family to drop me off or meet me somewhere. I was considering Mt. Hood to Columbia River the first week of August. Also interested in hiking partners, but would do best with some old ladies like me.

gottahike1

gottahike1
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 12:01 pm 
I, too, am interested in this. Hoping to hike the Snoqualmie Pass to Stevens Pass section (either direction) some time in the last 2 weeks of August...a car exchange would be extremely helpful. If any NWhikers have similar plans, PM me. Thanks for starting this discussion Eppo. smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 5:20 pm 
FWIW: Trailways provides bus service over Steven's Pass -- I don't know if they still support "flag down" service -- where the driver will stop the bus at Steven's and pick you up. email or phone them to see Trailways The Airporter Provides service between Seattle and Yakima with stops in North Bend, Cle Elum and Ellensburg. Snoqualmie Pass isn't a designated stop -- but it might be possible to arrange that. If nothing else can be arranged, a Limo Service will take you to/from Snoqualmie Pass and SeaTac airport for $130

payslee

payslee
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 12:43 pm 
Hi LazyHen, If you decide to do the Hood to Gorge section, I recommend also posting on the portlandhikers.org forum. The Columbia River gorge and Mt. Hood are our backyard, and I suspect you'll have good luck snagging a ride and/or hiking partners with similar goals. Regards from your neighbor to the south, payslee

slugsworth

slugsworth
PostSat Mar 15, 2014 5:10 pm 
Eppo, can you provide a little more description on your low divide Olympics hike. I might be interested in that one. I bisected the park going from the north fork to whiskey bend via the sky line trail and with a detour over to dodger point a few years ago and the bus/hitchhike shuttle was epic. I would love to do another high country trip out there.

Eppo

Eppo
PostWed Mar 26, 2014 7:18 am 
I'd like to do the Low Divide hike thru ONP this season in the late July early August sweet spot! I have done this route several times in the past and the car shuttle takes just about an entire day to drive around. The last time I did this trek I had one friend drop me off at Whiskey Bend and another pick me up at Quinault. I'd like to avoid all that hassle with a car exchange. I don't care if I travel North to South or visa versa. I will be taking ten-days for this trek because I will include a side trip up to Queets Basin for a few days to climb some minor peaks like Mt Queets for example. Nevertheless, with a car exchange another hiker on a four-day schedule would not be effected. If I cannot find someone for a car exchange I will have to go in and come out the same way because I will never again do that shuttle around the Peninsula.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostThu Apr 10, 2014 4:54 pm 
I live on the SE Oly Pennisula and might be interested in car exchanges this summer.

jhamaker

jhamaker
PostSun May 04, 2014 7:00 pm 
Oooh. Me too. Sounds like fun. How about a traverse of the Baily Range and continuing over Mt. Queets to Lk Quinault? All your trips sound fun and I've not done a single one of them! What is your pace? I *enjoy* around ten miles per day.

E-mail from this site chequed only irregularly. Ditto chequing this BB.
Lazy Hen

Lazy Hen
PostWed May 07, 2014 8:37 am 
Would you be interested in a swap for the PCT Snoqualmie Pass to Cooper Lake or Salmon le Sac?

wolffie

wolffie
PostTue May 20, 2014 9:53 am 
Eppo wrote:
• No long shuttle required while you are dirty and tired.
I dearly await an opportunity to seat my self next to some prim & proper lady in such a situation, so that when she objects, "My dear sir -- you smell", I can rejoin, "No ma'am. You smell. I stink". I could be talked into Snoq <-> Stevens or White Pass. You'd get dog hair in your car.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Eppo

Eppo
PostMon Jun 09, 2014 10:48 am 
Thanks for responding everybody TO: jhamaker. Ten miles a day is about what I like to average also. Nevertheless, call me conservative, and no disrespect, but I am ambivalent to attempt the Bailey Traverse with someone I've never traveled with previously. You may be the best partner and well qualified but that's not a route I would do with an untested partner. Typically, I prefer to do some backpacking on trails with new partners before venturing onto overland routes. Consider joining me on some Olympic treks of shorter duration that I post on the Meetup site.

Eppo

Eppo
PostMon Jun 09, 2014 11:02 am 
Lazy Hen - I'm looking to swap on longer routes than the one you propose. Sorry.