Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Some Assembly Required........Costco Nightmare
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JPH

JPH
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 10:26 am 
509 wrote:
Assembly Required- Manufacture suggests 3 people, 1-2 hours
Well, average of 1.5 hrs for 3 people is 4.5 man hours. Then if you are working alone factor in and extra 50% for the PITA of not having an extra set of hands, and that would be 6.75 hrs solo. Right in the ballpark...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 11:21 am 
A friend of mine is a Costco supplier with a factory in China. Costco has rigid design requirements for its suppliers. They require exact engineering drawings which they check against the actual product delivered part by part. They require the supplier to demonstrate the assembly and they independently perform and assess the assembly process and send it back if it doesn't meet standards. So they have a pretty good idea of the assembly requirements. The stated. 3 people, 1-2 hours is pretty much right on the mark. (no offense to your skills 509 smile.gif )

PostWed Mar 12, 2014 12:16 pm 
I did, but Costco did not like my name. Seems 509 had only three letters. So now I get spam from them!!! Oh, somebody must have read it....because they did finally add assembly time to the web page. There are skills I care about....and skills no employer would pay me a dime!! As my father said.....good thing you got an education and a profession. However, please note that my assembly time was right in the ballpark. The web site recommends THREE for assembly!!! The whole point is IF you value your time at a minimum wage of $15/hour your better off hiring a handyman to build a custom garbage can shed!!!

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com
AR

AR
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 5:46 pm 
I'm thinking seven hours is really good. I would have had all the sh*t "included" spread across the back yard at that point...inventory complete, 7 hours in.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Raven Falls

Raven Falls
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 7:05 pm 
509 wrote:
Actually, I would like another shed
Then you'd be 5 "Two Sheds" 09? (A little Monty Python humor...)

mgd

mgd
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 7:54 pm 
Well there is something to be said for that which can be assembled in a fraction of a bit. drink.gif
) uhh.gif More hiking time, less assembling time. up.gif up.gif

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 8:25 pm 
Nice tent. But how long does it take to stuff it back into your pack? Nothing fits into stuff sacks once you've removed it, y'know.

mgd

mgd
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 pm 
That depends on how big your pack is. If your pack is huge, less time; if small, more time; if medium, average time. However, if those people were smart (and they seem to be), they would invent a similar tent that also doubles as a poncho. That way you would never have to remove it from your pack or stuff it back in...not in Warshington, that is. agree.gif Just take off your poncho, toss it in the air, and viola, climb inside your tent and out of the rainstorm! That is what most people in Washington do anyway, except it's more like a 10 minute process in stead of 10 seconds.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 10:31 pm 
So MGB, are you saying that packing time is inversely proportional to pack volume? Or is it a log function? If it's a log function, do you have to stand on a log to pack it? No matter what, it will be an intents function.

mgd

mgd
PostWed Mar 12, 2014 11:02 pm 
RL, I am hesitant to publish my equations on the internet (aka world wide web) because someone may steal my IP and make a fortune and I won't even get a single farthing of royalty (except that mgd is still the king of beers). the equation has five terms and is basically this: Y=1/(X +LogX ) +CosX +TanX +SecX -RJ(d) So you were right about the log part, and standing on a log is recommended as long as it is not a wet log strung across a raging river. There are also some trig functions which we ignore for a moment and RJ component. Now notice if your pack is infinitely large, then the time to pack is zero (because you are already standing inside your pack). And if your pack is infinitely small, the time is infinite to pack your pack, which is a bummer as you may never make it out of your driveway. Might as well read nwhikers instead. There is also a cosine term, because if someone has to cosine for your pack when you buy it, then you may still be making payments on it, and hence may be exceedingly careful when packing it to make sure you do not damage it. This adds time. There is a tangent factor because suntan products will take up valuable pack space, making things more difficult and time consuming. Also secant function because if you are looking at the ocean, you will not be able to concentrate on packing. Lastly there is the RJ (Ray Jardine) factor, because if you drill big holes in your pack to make it lighter weight, it will be easier to stuff too, which subtracts off a lot of time. Please do not blab this equation to others or publish it in a 100 hikes book where multitudes of hiking scientist types may steal my ideas. I have the equation scribbled on the back of an envelope and locked in a vault. There it shall stay. Thx in advance.

mike

mike
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 9:11 am 
mgd wrote:
Just take off your poncho, toss it in the air, and viola, climb inside your tent and out of the rainstorm!
You forgot one important part. 1) take off poncho 2) pitch tent 3) get soaking wet since you no longer have a poncho 4) climb inside tent soaking wet gotta go pee? Repeat in reverse order

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 9:05 am 
mgd wrote:
Y=1/(X +LogX ) +CosX +TanX +SecX -RJ(d)
We need to see 80 Proof of this equation before it will be accepted by the NWhikers equation committee.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostMon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
My guess is that is the motto of almost all public utilities and banks. They hope that 3,000,000 people all decide that it isn't worth it to spend 1/2 an hour on the phone to complain about a 1.75$ billing error - a nice 5.25 million dollar profit for nothing.
Believe me, I have complained for hours on the phone over errors in the 1-2 dollar range until the people on the phone crack and fix them. biggrin.gif

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com