Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Utah man indicted in theft of dinosaur footprint
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Abert

Abert
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 pm 
Article on theft near Moab. I sometimes wonder how there's anything ancient (human and natural) left to see. And how much more there would be if people would just keep their hands off things.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kaseył
A Perfect 10

Kaseył
A Perfect 10
PostThu Mar 13, 2014 2:39 pm 
I heard he left pictures.

Product of David & Karen™
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 9:17 am 
Kaseył wrote:
I heard he left pictures.
lol.gif

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri Mar 14, 2014 9:32 am 
Many of the artifacts at Blanding's Edge of the Cedars Museum were, I believe, recovered from criminal pothunters. They convicted one infamous looter by digging his cigarette butts out of his spoils pile -- they knew this guy -- that was back when DNA forensics was new. As a matter of fact, there isn't much left to see. Even the potshards are disappearing. We were stopped and interrogated by the Ute tribal police patrol once -- nice to know somebody's trying to enforce the law -- the previous day, we had observed a looted grave -- human skull bones dug up and just left. I once found a 1kg limestone hatchet/hammer/tomahawk. It had been pecked and narrowed in the middle, to be hafted to a handle; once somebody's prized tool. It had been left in a conspicuous spot by previous visitors, but I suppose it has been since stolen. I asked the BLM archaeologist at Blanding what's the best course of action with something like that, and he did suggest that if its's already been disturbed, hiding an artificat in a safe place may not be unreasonable ("...not everything has to end up in museums"). Collectors and looters are stinky people. Brother Cain again.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.