Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Previous :: Next Topic  
SultanHiker

SultanHiker

PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:10 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gunn, Gunnshy, Tailgunner = Day 1 (7/12/19)
Wing, Pt 5760 = Day 2 (7/13/19)
1 Bear below Tailgunner to the NW.
4 Goats with babies on Wing. Explored the 1953 plane crash debris fully (below Wing).

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
slave524

slave524

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:10 am 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Hey slave,  how much road walk is involved before you get to the 'trail'?

Thanks!

3 easy miles. There is a blown out creek bed and the partially collapsed bridge but both were still easy to cross
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
slave524

slave524

PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 am 
Jake Robinson wrote:
Hey your name wouldn't happen to be Gene or Dean would it?

Ha! No, but I love Ween and my username refers to my GWAR fanclub number  biggrin.gif
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 pm 
I made it up here once before, but it was a gloomy day.  It looks much nicer w/ some sunshine.  My buddy hadn't been up there before.  Several other parties out midweek on the PCT but once we left it we were entirely alone.  Bugs were slightly annoying.  Lots of flowers out, meadows are looking lovely.  Only a little bit of snow encountered, no obstacle at all.

Downhill

Downhill

PostThu Aug 01, 2019 6:30 pm 
7/23 - 7/24  French Ridge Trail (Icicle River Drainage)

I think this is a seldom-visited route, it shouldn't be.  TBH it was my first time on this trail despite having spent decades in the local area.  The trail rises continuously once you leave the Icicle trail, but always climbing at a moderate rate.  At first, the trail is in lush timber, then ascending an oddly sick forest - not burned but considerable deadfall and dead-standing firs.  Great pee-a-boo views east across the Icicle valley - toward the "Lady Lakes", Grindstone, Bullstooth and Big Chiwaukum, or south to Sixty-Six Hundred Ridge, Bootjack, the Cradle, Highchair....

At about 4,000 you break out on the ridge and now the views expand exponentially - especially to the west - Granite Mtn, Trico Mtn, upper French Creek valley, Snowall drainage, Meadow Creek valley... the tip of Mt Stuart peeking above 6600 ridge.

Approximately 7 miles after leaving the Icicle river you will find a faint path leading to the old site of the French Ridge Lookout situated just above the main trail.  From this vantage point, including the views previously listed, we enjoyed vistas of Glacier Peak, Mt Baker, the region around Sloan Pk (Becky's "high, lopsided Matterhorn of the Cascades biggrin.gif) ).

The wildflowers were brilliant.  The views were spectacular.  Berries were tasty.  Solitude complete (saw no one C2C).  There's no water once you leave the Icicle - carry lots - but with no water, so why so many 'skeeters?

It was evident that some fine folks spent a lot of time clearing numerous blowdowns off the lower 1/3 of this trail in recent years.  Thanks to all those who did this.  Unfortunately, the sick trees keep falling and there are a number of new deadfalls in this area of the trail.  The latter 1/3 of the trail gets a little overgrown with small brush - often Huckleberries (ripe!) so I was wishing I was wearing long pants vs shorts.

Overall, this trail offered a lot more than I'd ever expected - especially the uncommon perspectives on some familiar features of the region.  I will definitely be going back!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 12:24 pm 
Did colman park yesterday. Ubered to the trailhead. It was about a 1/10 mile with very little gain to the grassy area by the lake. You are only allowed to camp here during daylight hours but that didn't stop a lot of people from setting up tents. Extremely crowded!! Most people not following good backcountry ethics!! Several beers. The cooking of meats made me nervous that it would attract bears! The fighter planes flew overhead several times. Must have been training.

--------------
i ALWAYS camp at the upper lake!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
wolffie

wolffie

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 4:42 pm 
Got up and walked all the way to the freezer for more ice cream and dog treats.
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 pm 
Headed up to Rampart Ridge last Monday to stretch the legs.  Temps were in the high 80s and we were pretty out of shape for the first hike of the season so decided to call it a day at the far side of Lillian.  Skeeters were out but the flies were more annoying.  A few phone pics.

Testing out portrait blur mode on the Pixel 3 (less than perfect at simulating the bokeh)
Testing out portrait blur mode on the Pixel 3 (less than perfect at simulating the bokeh)
This one did better faking the bokeh but mis-focused
This one did better faking the bokeh but mis-focused
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 12:07 am 
How was the brush on the road getting back there Tom?

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 3:56 am 
Not too bad.  Wouldn't take a new vehicle though.
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 2:32 pm 
is that a DHM sighting?  eek.gif

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 2:33 pm 
baring - no snow
south baring - no snow
fog kept things soaking wet. suggest bringing rope for south baring. i climbed up and down past 5 rap anchors.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
H. Hound

H. Hound

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 am 
Kelly Butte LO 8-13-19

The road wasn't that bad, just a lot of washboards. Was hoping for more huckleberries but must have missed the prime season. Still has some nice views and no crowds.

marydave
Musical Hikers

marydave

Musical Hikers
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:19 am 
Hiked up Dickerman on Monday 8/12. The huckleberries around the 4500' level are mighty fine right now. Two stepover logs, but otherwise the trail's in fine shape.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
  Happy Birthday tpeterson1959!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: