Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostSun Feb 25, 2018 10:31 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
My new YakTrax self-destructed on the way down. They lasted for parts of three hikes. Sigh.
My first and only pair of Yaks lasted just a few trips. Then I got Microspikes which have lasted for years (although to be fair I hardly use them). Were you the dude in the hooded orange/red jacket and Nepals? I thought that might have been you, but I didn't want to blurt out, "HEY ARE YOU CASCADE CLIMBER?!" and then have it not be you and look like an idiot. lol.gif Just out of curiosity, what's your current car-to-car time?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 9:19 am 
Just_Some_Hiker wrote:
Were you the dude in the hooded orange/red jacket and Nepals?
At that point I was wearing an orange Pata Puff Nano, clear goggles, one glove, one mitt (pinky owie is still owie), tan softshell pants. Boots are LaSportiva Makalus (they are the only thing I've found that lasts for training). I rarely keep track of my time. I was slow today as I broke trail for 1500 vert on the "old old" section of trail and wallowed up the old route to the boulders. I think my best time car to top is about 78 minutes, but I'm not in that kind of shape right now.

If not now, when?
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Feb 26, 2018 5:55 pm 
Meanwhile on the other side of the Cascade Divide...the sun was shining and it was springlike for the second day in a row! A friend picked me up and we drove a whole half hour to reach the sno park. I don't have many pictures as it was hard to get out my camera--very hard. I've moved but haven't moved all my stuff and all day packs are 300 miles away. We skied a couple hours on the South Summit of Loup Loup pass. We were the first to arrive and saw one other person on our way back, but there were half a dozen vehicles parked when we came out. The trails had been groomed overnight. The wind was picking up when we left. We stopped for lunch at a taco wagon in downtown Okanogan and ate outside in the warm sun. I'm kinda glad I moved back. I only have my slow, but safe, fat skis here. The others are........300 miles away.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue Feb 27, 2018 6:44 pm 
About six inches of slop on the higher elevations of Tiger today.

whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Mar 09, 2018 9:37 pm 
Recently did a nice five mile hike on Tiger. Parked at the Tiger Summit trailhead, headed over to the NW Timber trail, which I followed for a short distance to the start of the Master Link trail, designed for climbing by bicycles. Followed the Master Link as it ascended at a easy grade through pleasant forest. Higher up, the trail was covered by snow and ice. At the next junction, I followed the brand new Inside Passage trail, which gradually descended to a nice viewpoint in a recent clearcut:
The snow-covered trail eventually joined up with the Joyride trail. I turned right and followed that trail downhill toward the NW Timber Trail. Midway, I diverted onto a maintenance access trail, which soon connected with a service road - easier hiking than Joyride, which features numerous "fun" dips and bumps that are tedious to hike over. I then followed the Timber Trail back to the trailhead. Pleasant, easy hiking with sunny spots and tumbling brooks. I would not hike these trails on weekends due to heavy bike traffic. Master Link may be o.k. for hikers (slow uphill traffic only) but Inside Passage could have high speed riders. The snow deterred the few weekday bikers when I was there.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 7:24 am 
Cable Line is snow free and the summit of WT3 is bare as of 3/13. I can't speak for the WT3 trail itself but I'd assume it's also snow free.

NorDub

NorDub
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 12:51 pm 
There was some snow on the last stretch of the trail up to Middle Tiger this past weekend (3/10). I'd guess the last 0.75 miles or so were snow covered. All compact and at the time, was soft enough to avoid the need of spikes or poles for stability. Several inches of snow at the top of Middle Tiger which sits at ~2,600 feet. Was surprised that the trail wasn't really crowded at all, even on a nice Saturday. I took the trail that parallels West Side Road off of 18, and then hooked up with TMT. I looked, but there was no signage on the wooded summit. Maybe I missed it? I had seen signs on the West Tiger summits, so I was thinking there would be some here as well. Perhaps there would be some sort of geo metal marker on the ground if there was no snow?

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Mar 14, 2018 6:33 pm 
Poked around the Lena Lake area today. I really lucked out with the weather, it was sunny and in the 50s and seemed to be crappy everywhere else in the Olympics. Trail to lower Lena Lake is essentially snow free. I started up the Upper Lena Lake trail and quickly hit continuous snow. Knee deep postholing started at 2300'. At 2500', about 1.5 miles from the lower lake, there was avy debris across the trail. I took a break here. While I was stopped, I saw a small avalanche come down across the valley. Decided to turn around and come back on a safer day. Next I went up the Valley of the Silent Men. I hadn't been here since I climbed The Brothers in 2010. I forgot how beautiful it is. Sparse snow up to the bridge crossing, becoming deeper after that. At 2500' the ski and boot tracks I was following disappeared. I wallowed around in deep, wet snow for a bit, occasionally postholing up to my waist, before I decided to bail.
Views from Upper Lena Lake trail
Views from Upper Lena Lake trail
Upper Lena Lake Trail
Upper Lena Lake Trail
Lena Lake
Lena Lake
VOTSM
VOTSM
VOTSM
VOTSM
VOTSM
VOTSM
VOTSM
VOTSM
Peakaboo views from VOTSM
Peakaboo views from VOTSM
Lots of fresh blowdown in VOTSM
Lots of fresh blowdown in VOTSM
VOTSM
VOTSM
Almost like summer
Almost like summer
Lena Lake
Lena Lake
Lena Lake and VOTSM
Lena Lake and VOTSM

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Mar 15, 2018 7:54 pm 
Mailbox Peak (Old Trail) - 3/15/18 It was a very nice day up at the Mailbox. The trail is dry until about 1.5 miles in. After that there are patches of ice which become continuous around 1.8 miles. Microspikes highly recommended. Above treeline there is a good bootpack to the summit. I wore boots expecting muddy conditions down low and sloppy snow up high, but I definitely could have got away with trail runners. There was enough snow on the talus field to glissade down.

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 8:26 am 
Mt Walker ONF Spring Training. Quick hike up and down Mt Walker with packs to start getting ready for the new season.
Mt Baker, Quilcene, WA in foreground
Mt Baker, Quilcene, WA in foreground
Constance, Warrior, Buckhorn and Iron
Constance, Warrior, Buckhorn and Iron
Had the place to ourselves on the way up, ran into a handful of people on the way down. Small patches of ice at the very top, probably gone after yesterdays sunny day. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Mar 16, 2018 6:55 pm 
Beautiful day in NCNP with *trace.

cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostSat Mar 17, 2018 6:03 pm 
Skinned up the Commonwealth, up toward Guye, across Cave, and up toward Snoqualmie. A localized low cloud deck that reduced viz to a very flat 20 feet and some crazy north and south facing cornices on the same ridge turned us around about 20 minutes below the summit. Skied back down, skinned back across Cave, and followed a good boot track up Guye. Skied from the north summit down to the Commonwealth and back to the car. Snowpack is decidedly WEIRD right now, but thanks to the afternoon clouds it was very stable. Nothing more than surface cracking in a shallow 1" light wind slab noted, and that rarely. I do think this snowpack is going to result in some big wet slides later this spring; it's quite a bit less dense than normal. I haven't been up the Commonwealth in a LONG time in winter. Man, that area gets way more winter use than in the late 90s/early 2000s. Creek crossings were not an issue. Feeling too lazy to upload pics with FTP to post links. Think snowy with broken morning sun followed by clouds, whiteout, and then some skiing under the cloud deck.

If not now, when?
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Mar 20, 2018 9:44 am 
last day of winter hike to the New Dungeness Lighthouse, Sequim

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostTue Mar 20, 2018 11:09 am 
bobbi wrote:
last day of winter hike to the New Dungeness Lighthouse, Sequim
Amazing photos! Thank you!

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Mar 21, 2018 8:46 am 
Mailbox Peak (Old Trail) - 3/20/18 The trail is bare and dry for the first 1.5 miles. After that patches of ice start showing up. Compacted snow/ice becomes continuous around 1.7 miles. Microspikes recommended. Good bootpack to the summit. Trail runners were fine.