Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Previous :: Next Topic  
Brucester

Brucester

PostMon Aug 13, 2018 12:58 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Easton Ridge 8/16/18

Camped at Snoqualmie Pass then doubled back home to drop off the fat bike and after a shower chose Easton Ridge as a good one.

Rough dusty ride to TH. A few cars there. Steep sweaty climb after cool begining. Partly cloudy with weather. Some showers but not bad.

Steep dusty ascent...

Along the ridge easy going upward. Beyond the unoffical high point the trail has a few blowdowns. Maybe eight Corona sized trees.

The high point was nice. Good views. Worth the scratches on my shins...

+2,500ish 6.3? miles
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike

PostTue Aug 14, 2018 4:24 pm 
braincloud wrote:
Thru-ran the Enchantments last weekend (28 July). Saw 137,364 people, 84 goats, 27 kid goats, a literal pack train going up Asgard, and no place to park. Small lingering snow patches in the upper basin and one metric f***-ton of mosquitos. Enjoy at your own peril.

perfectly summed up
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSun Aug 19, 2018 2:10 pm 
Thought the air quality was supposed to be okay on Saturday.  It wasn't.  Oh well.  Was gonna hike east from Canyon Creek TH/Damfino Lakes along High Divide.  Right after the turnoff was a sign saying the road was closed 5 miles ahead.  Plan B, started at Excelsior Pass TH and continued east from the Pass.  Made it to Welcome Pass, then doubled back.  Meadows were nice.  Only a few other hikers were out.  Couldn't see Baker, Shuksan or anything else at any point during the day.  Bears have been chowing down on berries.

I didn't notice this on the way up, but on the way down couldn't miss it.  It's RIGHT beside the trail.  Could see down at least 10 feet before it got too dark, couldn't tell how much further down it went.  Haven't ever seen anything like that trailside before.  Intriguing.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Joe

Joe

PostMon Aug 20, 2018 7:22 pm 
Second Burroughs - Mt. Fremont Lookout loop - 8/20/2018

In the morning there were reasonable views of Mt. Rainier, but by the time I headed up to Mt. Fremont Lookout, you could barely see the mountain.

I hiked the loop clockwise, first Second Burroughs, then Mt. Fremont Lookout.

Trip Stats: 9 miles with 2100 ft. gain

Shadow Lake
Shadow Lake
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
snout of Emmons glacier and the source of White River
snout of Emmons glacier and the source of White River
Little Tahoma Peak
Little Tahoma Peak
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
Smoke haze view to the east
Smoke haze view to the east
Trail to Second Burroughs
Trail to Second Burroughs
Marmot
Marmot
Marmot
Marmot
2 Mountain Goats
2 Mountain Goats
Ptarmigan
Ptarmigan
Mt. Fremont Lookout
Mt. Fremont Lookout
smoky view of Grand Park
smoky view of Grand Park
Burroughs-Fremont-route
Burroughs-Fremont-route

--------------
Joe
H. Hound

H. Hound

PostThu Aug 23, 2018 2:48 am 
Eagle Lake 8-22-18

The road has a few rough patches, and I was happy I was in a 4x4. Bugs weren't bad, and the huckleberry's are ripe.

Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:36 pm 
around the mountain via 167 to 410 to 12 to 507 to 7 08/28/18

Haze got worse as the day progressed partly due to a fire near the Goat Rocks area.
Spoke briefly with a couple PCT hikers at White Pass who were detoured due to the fire.
Noticed several vehicle access roads to dispersed camping sites along the American River had been permanently closed due to abuse. There was a discussion thread on this subject a few years back HERE.

Got some honey and Italian prunes and other goodies at Thompson's in Naches.

Garbage scorecard:
plastic bottles: 2
empty beer cans: 1
old t-shirts: 1
fish grillers: 1
baby blankets: 1
"Elmo" toddler booster chair: 1

Rainier from 410 082818
Rainier from 410 082818
Tipsoo Lake from Chinook Pass 082818
Tipsoo Lake from Chinook Pass 082818
vehicular access blocked to dispersed camping area near Lodgepole Campground Wenatchee NF 082818
vehicular access blocked to dispersed camping area near Lodgepole Campground Wenatchee NF 082818
South Fork Clear Creek from US12 082818
South Fork Clear Creek from US12 082818
Clear Creek from US12 082818
Clear Creek from US12 082818
North Fork Clear Creek from Clear Creek Falls 082818
North Fork Clear Creek from Clear Creek Falls 082818
Rainier from Stevens Canyon Road 082818
Rainier from Stevens Canyon Road 082818

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostTue Aug 28, 2018 10:57 pm 
seattlenativemike wrote:
braincloud wrote:
Thru-ran the Enchantments last weekend (28 July). Saw 137,364 people, 84 goats, 27 kid goats, a literal pack train going up Asgard, and no place to park. Small lingering snow patches in the upper basin and one metric f***-ton of mosquitos. Enjoy at your own peril.

perfectly summed up

I seek these days out on the 'Gaard!!! Look. Who won the pass? That's the question. As in who racked up the highest kill count going' up??

Get me on that hill amidst the hordes of south lake union types I'll EAT EM ALIVE!!!! No one outpaces ME on the 'Gaard!!!

--------------
i go to the FITNESS GYMS!!!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Sennin

Sennin

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:43 am 
Went and did Cascade Pass and Sahale Arm on 8/24.

No pics to share because it was ultra foggy. Wind was an issue the further up the trail climbed. Wind chill made my hand numb. I was pretty disappointed that visibility was only 20-30 feet.

#LazyTR
timberghost

timberghost

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 10:49 am 
Better than being home!!!
Joe

Joe

PostWed Aug 29, 2018 5:28 pm 
Pratt Lake - 8/29/2018

Trip Stats:  11.8 miles with 2900 ft. gain (2300 ft. in, 600 ft. out)

Stream crossing
Stream crossing
Olallie Lake
Olallie Lake
Red Berries
Red Berries
View descending to Pratt Lake
View descending to Pratt Lake
Small tree blocking trail
Small tree blocking trail
Pratt Lake
Pratt Lake
Pratt-Lake-route
Pratt-Lake-route

--------------
Joe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSun Sep 02, 2018 1:05 pm 
Got a fairly early start (8 a.m.), beat most of the crowd at Sunrise yesterday.  My buddy wanted to do something up there before it closed for the year.  Chilly, 38 degrees to start, but warmed up quickly.  A bit of fog but decent views for the most part.  The crowd arrived later.  We went up Skyscraper Mtn. and back.  Goats were hanging out on the slope below the peak.

kiliki

kiliki

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 8:12 am 
Scorpion Mt. What a wonderful hike. Scorpion Mt does not believe in switchbacks, but the trail for the most part is good tread, soft and fir-needle covered, so it's not hard. Very reasonable number of people on this Labor Day Sunday. The road is in fine shape the whole way; plenty of regular compact cars, even a Prius, at the TH.

The sad part was finding an injured (possibly paralyzed) little dog in the westbound lane of Hwy 2 between Index and Skykomish; people were just swerving around it and not stopping. frown.gif We stopped traffic, scooped it up and took it to the VCA emergency vet in Lynnwood (nothing closer was open Sunday evening. No tags). I wonder if someone dumped it.
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 11:51 am 
Scorpion Mountain is one of my favorite local hikes and we were thinking about doing it on Sunday, but guessed (incorrectly) that it might be too busy.
Thanks for rescuing that poor little dog and taking it to the vet, I hope the outcome is a good one. up.gif
kiliki

kiliki

PostTue Sep 04, 2018 2:46 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Scorpion Mountain is one of my favorite local hikes and we were thinking about doing it on Sunday, but guessed (incorrectly) that it might be too busy.
Thanks for rescuing that poor little dog and taking it to the vet, I hope the outcome is a good one. up.gif

When we pulled up a little past 10 on Sunday I think we were the 6th car. When we left at 4 or so I think there were about a dozen cars, maybe 15 at most. So it's all relative, but I don't think that's too busy, for a beautiful holiday weekend anyway. No backpackers until we were halfway back, then we saw a party of 4 heading to June Lake, then near the trailhead there were a couple hunters (? armed and in camo) with packs.

It looks like it would be an amazing fall hike, with all that vaccinium shrubbery.

I think the Lost Dogs of Snohomish County FB group is close to figuring out whose dog it is. I would be very surprised if it survived; I believe it had been paralyzed. I hope it is either dosed up on pain meds or humanely euthanized if that were the right action; I'm just glad we came across it before it was hit again.
slave524

slave524

PostWed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am 
went on a great day hike up Church Mountain on Sunday. It was warm and sunny with a cool breeze and no biting or blood sucking insects! There were still wild flowers in bloom in the meadow along with a lot of delicious, ripe blueberries. Lots and lots of Butterflies and grass hoppers, Marmots, birds and Chipmunks. the views at the top were excellent!

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Jump to:   
Search this topic: