Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Previous :: Next Topic  
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy

Cube Rat
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 9:59 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Did the Carne Mountain and Leroy Creek high routes with my 8 yr old daughter. Camped in Box Creek basin one night and had it to ourselves. At upper Ice Lake the next with 5 other groups. Route is in good condition, but we probably did the final ascent to the saddle above upper Ice Lake wrong as it seemed more difficult than necessary. A few spots where the kid wore her helmet, but overall an established trail makes it all pretty straight forward.

Two parties had active fires going at upper Ice Lake and were orbiting our camp site looking for firewood - all this while the Devore Creek fire was burning a couple miles to the north. Come on, really?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP

RichP

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 8:47 am 
A 4-day WTA BCRT in the Salmo-Priest Wilderness. Nice country up there. We cleared over 100 trees and did other assorted work to about 2.25 miles from the junction with Crowell Ridge. The North Fork Sullivan Ck Trail is one of the routes on The PNT.

Sullivan Lake in The Selkirks.
Sullivan Lake in The Selkirks.
Horse Packer Bruce took our tools up and down the 7.25 miles to camp.
Horse Packer Bruce took our tools up and down the 7.25 miles to camp.
Saddle detail.
Saddle detail.
Bruce headed up.
Bruce headed up.
Junction of Red Bluff and North Fork Sullivan Trails.
Junction of Red Bluff and North Fork Sullivan Trails.
My first time here.
My first time here.
A bad section with about 20 trees down.
A bad section with about 20 trees down.
"The raft." Three trees were packed tight and provided a challenge. This Katana Boy saw cuts through with ease.
"The raft." Three trees were packed tight and provided a challenge. This Katana Boy saw cuts through with ease.
Section cleared out.
Section cleared out.
Headed back to camp after a day on the trail.
Headed back to camp after a day on the trail.
North Fork Sullivan Ck Trail.
North Fork Sullivan Ck Trail.
Dissappearing tread.
Dissappearing tread.
Tread widened.
Tread widened.
Hooknose, 7210.' A most impressive peak overshadowed by Abercrombie Mtn on the same ridge.
Hooknose, 7210.' A most impressive peak overshadowed by Abercrombie Mtn on the same ridge.
Packing up at the wilderness boundry after the work party.
Packing up at the wilderness boundry after the work party.
Creek crossing on Red Bluff Trail.
Creek crossing on Red Bluff Trail.
Red Bluff Trailhead.
Red Bluff Trailhead.

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis

Taking a nap
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 11:16 am 
DC. ladder at 13k

Ingraham Glacier
Ingraham Glacier
Team Green Rope
Team Green Rope
Ladder at 13K
Ladder at 13K
sunrise at 13K
sunrise at 13K
mandatory summit prop
mandatory summit prop
descending DC
descending DC
Muir sunset
Muir sunset
timberghost

timberghost

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 11:49 am 
Thanks for doing the work Rich
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 12:13 pm 
whoa, good to see a randy TR!

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy

Cube Rat
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 9:23 am 
wink.gif
rubywrangler

rubywrangler

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:42 pm 
fay, first mother, mt. pleasant and hessong rock from mowich lake yesterday -

First time back to this area since hiking the Wonderland in 2002! I learned that there is no entrance station at Mowich so if you don't have a current annual pass, bring cash. Thank you NPS for not giving me a ticket.  clown.gif

Followed the route described by ragman & rodman and a few other folks on this site, starting from the Mowich patrol cabin and up the west ridge of Fay. There are lot of way trails shooting off in different directions in the first 10-15 min so helpful to be paying attention to direction here. I didn't, and ended up wandering north a ways on the wrong path. The first three summits were covered in flies, flying ants, and mosquitoes so I didn't linger much until I made it Hessong rock. Many goats hanging around there.  Stopped at Spray falls on the way out, so lovely!

meadows below fay, trail i should be on in distance at right
meadows below fay, trail i should be on in distance at right
fay
fay
near fay's summit
near fay's summit
mowich lake from fay
mowich lake from fay
ridge to knapsack pass and first mother
ridge to knapsack pass and first mother
mowich from knapsack
mowich from knapsack
mother mtn
mother mtn
first mother
first mother
route so far, fay near the middle
route so far, fay near the middle
first mother summit view
first mother summit view
mist park view
mist park view
looking back to mother mtn from mt pleasant
looking back to mother mtn from mt pleasant
hessong rock
hessong rock
hessong summit view
hessong summit view
spray falls
spray falls
mosey

mosey

PostThu Aug 29, 2019 10:06 am 
MMM, Greenway, Change, and Washington. Originally i was just going to walk back down Truck My, but I had so much fun walking the Cedar Divide Road. Greenway was a bit disappointing, the weather station on the road had an equivalent view (which was amazing).

Easter Island
Cedar Divide Road panorama
Mt Washington sunset
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Justus S.

Justus S.

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 5:36 pm 
Went out to Chinook Pass to scramble up Naches, Yakima, and Deadwood. Pretty busy when I left. I had the summits to myself, but there were folks getting off the beaten path. The upper summit started to cloud up by afternoon.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP

RichP

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 10:55 am 
Mt Jumbo (Missoula, Mt). This is a popular summit hike right in town. It's the hill with the "L" where most people hike too. A steep trail continues to the 4768' summit from there. I walked down this steep trail and took a longer but less steep trail up the west side of the peak for a nice loop of 4.5 miles and 1500' of gain. Bring lots of water on a sunny day.

The Clark Fork River flows through town.
The Clark Fork River flows through town.
East Missoula.
East Missoula.
Bare and in full on sun.
Bare and in full on sun.
Almost to the top. Note the hornets buzzing around the sign. There is a nest at the base of the post.
Almost to the top. Note the hornets buzzing around the sign. There is a nest at the base of the post.
Junction. I took The left left arrow up and the shorter and much steeper route past the L on the way down.
Junction. I took The left left arrow up and the shorter and much steeper route past the L on the way down.
The summit of Jumbo is the right bump.
The summit of Jumbo is the right bump.
Missoula.
Missoula.
The summit of Jumbo Mountain, 4768.' This is a popular hike that starts in town.
The summit of Jumbo Mountain, 4768.' This is a popular hike that starts in town.
Ch-paa-qn Peak is just under 8000' and immediately caught my eye. It was formally called "Squaw Peak." With 4000' of prominence, it is definitely on the to do list.
Ch-paa-qn Peak is just under 8000' and immediately caught my eye. It was formally called "Squaw Peak." With 4000' of prominence, it is definitely on the to do list.
University Peak is the continuation of Sentinel Peak where the "M" is located. The highest point is just over 5800.' I'll try this one next time I'm in town.
University Peak is the continuation of Sentinel Peak where the "M" is located. The highest point is just over 5800.' I'll try this one next time I'm in town.
Missoula is located at what was once the bottom of an ice age lake. The scablands of Washington were formed when water rushed out of this area down toward the Pacific Ocean.
Missoula is located at what was once the bottom of an ice age lake. The scablands of Washington were formed when water rushed out of this area down toward the Pacific Ocean.
Plaque and the base of the "L."
Plaque and the base of the "L."
The "L" above Missoula.
The "L" above Missoula.

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 5:38 pm 
I’ve only seen Missoula in the early summer when everything was a verdant green color. The golden hills are a reminder that fall is on its way!

Wednesday Hiking Partner and I embarked on a five day trip up the Meadow Mountain Trail, hoping to get some views of Glacier Peak and visit a few lakes. We spent the first night at Meadow Lake, sharing it with a group of five friendly millennials from California.
Meadow Lake 8/28/19
Meadow Lake 8/28/19

Thursday we had pretty good weather and made our way down to Diamond Lake, a little challenging for me with my backpack on, due to some route finding issues resulting in a veggie belay. clown.gif
Beautiful views along the way.
Meadow Mountain Trail 8/28-8/31/19
Diamond Lake 8/29-8/31/19

We were traveling light with tarps due to the (overly) optimistic weather forecast. To save fuel, I cold-soaked ramen. It turned out just fine!

Thursday night, clouds rolled in,as they will do in the Glacier Peak area, and it rained all night. However, in the morning we checked several weather forecasts with the InReach, and they all said it was going to be sunny in the afternoon, so we waited it out. The tarps worked well and nothing got wet.
Eventually the sun did return, so we headed over to Emerald Lake for a dayhike (er dayscramble). It was a bit tough going due to the steep descent, but I was getting more proficient at veggie belaying. The lake was gorgeous.
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Climbing out of Emerald Lake 8/30/19
Climbing out of Emerald Lake 8/30/19

Beautiful views of Lime Ridge and the top of Glacier Peak!
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Lime Ridge 8/30/19
Meadow Mountain Trail 8/31/19

In the evening, we enjoyed a nice reflection of Lime Ridge in Diamond Lake.

The next morning, we packed up and climbed 700 feet out of Diamond Lake in hopes of hiking up to Fire Mountain and finding a campsite with a view of Glacier Peak. Sadly, the top was obscured by clouds, and right when we reached the Meadow Mountain Trail, it began to rain. We decided to cut our trip short and head out for the 12 mile walk back to the trailhead. Every once in a while the sun would come out, highlighting the early fall colors. It was slow going at times due to an abundance of delectable berries!

I had a little excitement when I found myself in the way of a bear walking up the trail. There wasn’t room for both of us, so I apologized and started barking like a Jack Russell terrier, causing the poor bear to turn around and bolt back down the trail.
As we finally got close to the trailhead, we met a friendly bow hunter, the first person we had seen since we left Meadow Lake Thursday morning. The only other people we met after that were a family with a cute toddler who set up camp in the middle of the decommissioned road a couple of miles from the trailhead.
Holiday Campers on the Meadow Mountain Trail 8/31/19
Holiday Campers on the Meadow Mountain Trail 8/31/19
cdestroyer

cdestroyer

PostSun Sep 01, 2019 5:51 pm 
Missoula is my home of record. I have been to the M only once and never up jumbo. way way back when the missoula airfield was near the fairground dad told me about flying a single engine piper cub straight at the cliff and never hit it because of updraft.. i have seen free jumpers off the cliff.
Brucester

Brucester

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 12:50 pm 
Rich, sounds like a fun trip!  up.gif
Brucester

Brucester

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 3:16 pm 
Felt good to stretch the legs after a long drive from Seattle Saturday....

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 5:17 pm 
Nice 10 mi. hike today in Newport Rhode Island first along beach for $16 for two Lobster Rolls then along Cliff Walk Trail past “Summer Cottages”  aka mansions built in The Gilded Age by various robber barons then looping back along the port.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
  Happy Birthday Matt!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: