Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Previous :: Next Topic  
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostMon Sep 02, 2019 5:28 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
A few days ago we came back from Marmot/No Name/Jade/Pea Soup area. Lots of people enjoying the area just before Labor Day weekend. One guy from Arizona said he heard about Jade Lake on Instagram.

We climbed up Terrace Mtn from Marmot Lake which went well. Also floated in the lake for the rest of an afternoon. All trails in pretty good condition and driving the road to the end was fine in a Prius.

The glacial remnant getting to Pea Soup Lake was icy in most parts, with some hard snow at the bottom and top. We stepped over several small crevasses. Traction devices helped a lot.

We counted something like 39 parties going in to either Tuck/Robin or Marmot Lake areas on Friday before Labor Day, and we weren't sure where the heck they'd be camping!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 12:36 pm 
Hadn't really intended to repeat the 7 Lakes Basin/High Divide loop as a day hike, but a buddy invited me last minute so I found myself out there early on Monday of Labor Day weekend.  Wasn't too sure about it, hadn't done that kind of mileage in a while.  Turned out okay.  I was ready to be done but I wasn't dying.  Saw 6 bears, by far a record for me.  They were very busy browsing.  We caught the tail end of the rescue by Sol Duc Falls that is referenced in Trail Talk.  Didn't drop down to the lakes basin.  Did tag Bogachiel Peak.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Midnight Slogger
No heroics

Midnight Slogger

No heroics
PostTue Sep 03, 2019 7:21 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Saw 6 bears, by far a record for me.  They were very busy browsing.

We were hiking out of there last Monday and saw 21 distinct bears, from Cat Basin all the way down to Deer Lake! I don't think I've seen 21 bears total in all the other years I've been in the mountains. The place was just crawling with them. I heard somewhere else on this site that they've overpopulated. Also met a friendly biologist who was helping out on the goat removal project. Sounds like they're planning to kill all the ones that they don't relocate by helicopter.

Thanks for your pics, which are much better than mine. They take me back there. Cheers.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostTue Sep 03, 2019 9:41 pm 
Midnight Slogger wrote:
I heard somewhere else on this site that they've overpopulated.

I thought about that a little bit yesterday.  They seem to be thriving up there.  How are we so sure we know what ideal population numbers for various species are?
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 11:28 pm 
Wanted to do a quick workout up Beckler Peak today, but discovered the road was closed for what appeared to be active logging. Drove up 2 a little farther to the Surprise Creek Trail instead. Usually just do this as part of a loop without stopping at Surprise Lake due to too many people and bugs. Today however, I spent some time at the lake, and there were no bugs or people. And the colors were surreal!
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
Surprise Lake 9/4/19
RichP

RichP

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 10:30 am 
Tonga Ridge/Mt Sawyer 9-5-2019. Berries, berries berries..

Tonga Ridge Trail.
Tonga Ridge Trail.
Fungi.
Fungi.
Huckleberry heaven.
Huckleberry heaven.
Nearing the summit.
Nearing the summit.
Tonga Ridge highpoint to the east.
Tonga Ridge highpoint to the east.
Benchmark on Sawyer.
Benchmark on Sawyer.
Northeast views from the summit.
Northeast views from the summit.
Mt Daniel at just under 8000' is the King County highpoint.
Mt Daniel at just under 8000' is the King County highpoint.
Glacier Peak. Captain Point has the logging road nearly to its summit.
Glacier Peak. Captain Point has the logging road nearly to its summit.

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 12:28 pm 
Itís nice to see the little one enjoying those berries. Was that her first summit?
RichP

RichP

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 1:39 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
Itís nice to see the little one enjoying those berries. Was that her first summit?

She's done quite a few, actually. I should start a peakbagger page for her.

--------------
mosey

mosey

PostSat Sep 07, 2019 5:46 pm 
Visited a half million cubic meter landslide that exposed a lot of bedrock and fossils on Slide Mountain near Bellingham. Some pics from 2009 showed this large slope as an exposed scarp of rock 75-90' tall, but sediment has mostly covered it up and some trees are sprouting. Lots of cool destruction, and a singletrack trail is well established now.

Directions: drive 4.1 miles on North Saul River. Turn right at junction, drive 1 mile, park at road to left. Follow abandoned road for 1 mile, on map it shows formerly driveable logging roads that were decommissioned after the slide. Slide alder has covered all of the other paths here. The road ends and becomes a bootpath, follow for 1/4 mile before heading up the ridge for 1/4 mile (steep dirt).

Scarp pano and cliff on right

Closeup of chuckanut bedrock layers

View from 1800'
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
geyer

geyer

PostMon Sep 09, 2019 12:29 pm 
Wrangell-St. Elias National Park 8/31 - 9/2

It wasn't quite the wilderness I expected it to be (though it would be if you just hiked a few miles away from the towns of Kennecott and McCarthy). Still an interesting place. We went with St Elias guides for the 1/2 day hike on the Root Glacier and the guide told us some interesting "facts" like how the Stairway icefall was the second biggest ice fall in the world behind the Khumbu.

Interesting article here.

Matanuska River
Matanuska River
Matanuska River
Matanuska River
Matanuska Glacier light show
Crystalline Hils with Ruth Lake in foreground
Crystalline Hils with Ruth Lake in foreground
Selenium B&W
Selenium B&W
In the mill
In the mill
Note the tent in foreground
Note the tent in foreground
Aurora but too cloudy to see!
Aurora but too cloudy to see!
Looking back toward SE Chugach Mtns
Looking back toward SE Chugach Mtns
Root Glacier
Root Glacier
Small Human, big glacier
Small Human, big glacier
Small Human, big glacier
Small Human, big glacier
walking the glacier
walking the glacier
Ice climber
Ice climber
walking past a moulin
walking past a moulin
BW Icefall
BW Icefall
mosey

mosey

PostThu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 pm 
Moolock, the road completely covered in pearly everlastings and slide alder.

Some nice buttes

Hansen forest lakes
Downhill

Downhill

PostSun Sep 15, 2019 2:54 pm 
9-13-19 Lakes Minotaur and Theseus.  Saw several other day hikers, all chased away by the rain showers.  Good fishing in Theseus, no fish in Minotaur.  3 underground yellowjacket nests along the trail to Minotaur, I was wearing shorts and got stung in the back of my calf going up.  I wore long pants on the descent.

9-14-19 Alice Lake via Chatter Creek trail.  Good fishing.  A few rain showers throughout the day.     The Index Creek fire is still smoldering in the valley below to the east.
RichP

RichP

PostTue Sep 17, 2019 7:51 am 
Green Gulch in Chief Joseph Wildlife Area in the southeast corner of the state. Got to see a bull elk fend off a potential suitor of his herd of 13 cows and calves. They never locked horns but lots of snorting, bugling and posturing.

Lower down where the creek runs.
Lower down where the creek runs.
This hill has a great view of the area.
This hill has a great view of the area.
Upper Green Gulch.
Upper Green Gulch.
Mt Wilson which I hiked up in spring.
Mt Wilson which I hiked up in spring.
We got to witness this big bull chase off another male who tried to mosey in on his herd.
We got to witness this big bull chase off another male who tried to mosey in on his herd.
Herd of Elk. Lots of bugling going on.
Herd of Elk. Lots of bugling going on.
The big bull now checking us out after dealing with his competition.
The big bull now checking us out after dealing with his competition.
Snorting at another potential suitor.
Snorting at another potential suitor.
Lower Green Gulch.
Lower Green Gulch.

--------------
Abert

Abert

PostFri Sep 20, 2019 5:02 pm 
I walked up to Big Chiwaukum yesterday.  White Pine Road is rocky in spots.  Trails are clear of any blowdown.  A little mud at some of the stream crossings and just enough wet brush to have me soaked from mid-thigh down.  Not surprisingly, with everything so wet from the recent rains, the ridges were mostly buried in the mist, with just brief breaks of clearing.  Route finding was very localized.

Little left up high of whatever snow fell this week.   The basin above the Wildhorse Trail below Big Chiwaukum was full of huckleberries but I didn't see any sign of bears.  Photos

Wildhorse Trail
Wildhorse Trail

--------------
Photos
Peakbagger Page
awilsondc

awilsondc

PostSat Sep 21, 2019 6:26 pm 
Hawkeye Point and Old Snowy in the Goat Rocks.  9-19-19  ~17.5 miles 5100k gain

A-07486
A-07486
A-07498
A-07498
A-07503
A-07503
A-07507
A-07507
A-07525
A-07525
A-07528
A-07528
A-07551
A-07551
A-07568
A-07568
A-07574
A-07574
A-07588
A-07588
A-07592
A-07592
A-07602
A-07602
A-07605
A-07605
A-07612
A-07612
A-07632
A-07632
A-07643
A-07643
A-07647
A-07647
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
  Happy Birthday User-Name, OutOfOffice!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: