Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Previous :: Next Topic  
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostMon Jun 01, 2020 10:02 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Went up Washington (Snoqualmie) 25-30 cars in parking lot everyone was polite and Practicing  social distancing. Nice day only us on summit One other couple on rocks just below. Only saw a couple folks on way down.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 6:41 pm 
Drove to the Walt Bailey TH today, the road is in great shape and surprisingly snow free.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brucester

Brucester

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 12:48 am 
"Little" McClellan's Butte pt 2298

The object was to start at the "old" McC TH but that looked all locked up either by a sign or a gate so I started at the official trailhead.

The approach was quite peaceful and there was a very nice breeze as I made my way up a trail I didn't quite recognize...

153 (2)
153 (2)

While at the tunnel waterfall I wandered down a bit and found what I thought may have been the old original trail so I followed using some thruhiker skills trying to keep on trail. It wasn't easy but I found the foot old bridge ends, a puncheon and turnpike before heading back up.

Ascending the old trail was impossible. I lost it completely in many areas but it was fun seeing how nature reclaims areas.

174 (2)
174 (2)
183 (2)
183 (2)
187 (2)
187 (2)

Back on trail I finally met the road #9020? I turned right and followed until a side trail caught my eye so I followed. Through the forest I could see a clearing so I checked that out. It was beneath powerlines and obviously a target shooting area.

207 (2)
207 (2)

On the way out I saw this...

213 (2)
213 (2)

Sick of the area I retreated down the road to a van parked in front of the decommissioned road I was going to follow to nab point 2296. It was easy to follow yet obviously not a road anymore and was distracted by a sign in the woods. Something about helicopter operations and permission.  With the van there and this odd sign I played it safe and pulled the plug on my little dumpster diving venture.

217 (2)
217 (2)

Back to the road, I followed it to the McClellan Butte trail but kept heading down the road towards the unofficial Mount Kent TH.... I kept walking thinking it might be a nice cross bike ride for the future?

It was just beautiful walking back to the trail, quiet and that perfect hiking temperature.

Descending the trail the mood took a turn, gunfire from above. I quickened my pace. When it started it seemed to echo maybe off Mt Kent? But as I descended the direction of fire changed. The shots from above were returned by me yelling "Hey" "People down here" and silence accept for a stray bullet passed above. I picked up the pace only to hear a louder shotgun. "Hey, people down here" and another bullet ricocheted off a rock.

Aside from the serious drama this area has a mystical vibe about it, reminding me of the Appalachian Trail in some ways.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:31 am 
A little jaunt up Stegosaurus Butte. 6-3-2020

Middle Fork Snoqualmie.
Middle Fork Snoqualmie.
Former Middle Fork Giant.
Former Middle Fork Giant.
Second growth canopy.
Second growth canopy.
Mt Garfield.
Mt Garfield.
Preacher.
Preacher.
An ant...!
An ant...!
The Pulpit.
The Pulpit.
Back at the Middle Fork Bridge.
Back at the Middle Fork Bridge.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 4:05 pm 
Poo Poo Point trail from Issaquah Sportsman’s Club, Issaquah has built a series of trails on the west side of Tiger for feet and bikes and we started from the Sportsman Club 100’ trailhead as they are less traveled than the main trails. I believe the Chirco Parking is closed. The trail gently ascends past a burnt out car big tires to travers mixed woods and intersect the High School Trail a short climbs leads to the old Poo Poo Point Trail. The Trail climbs through trees and many stream crossings including one impressive bridge on an ascending traverse. Next the trail climbs a series of steep short switchbacks to the end of the West Tiger Railroad Grade Trail 2000’. The trail traverses and steeply descends to the road behind Poo Poo Point. We were passed by several joggers and descending hikers all social distancing. We arrived at the top table on top and started eating our lunch. There were  maybe a dozen people on top Well scattered out. A fellow appeared and tried to sit next to a couple women who showed him off. He then climbed up to us and asked if he could share the table I told him no and directed him to an empty table a few yards away. He said, “oh too close huh“. We finished and headed down past a dozen or so groups getting off the trail each time with our masks on. About 60% were wearing masks. About 1/3 mi from trailhead two large women without masks passed Lynda and loudly said, “we don’t have masks so we won’t talk”. Seemed rather rude huh.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Hutch

Hutch

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 8:45 am 
Went up Dickerman yesterday. First snowbridge is on the verge of melting through, folks were downclimbing on the rocks rather than risk it. Bootpath follows the spring/gully route, which I had never done before. It's ... direct, with some slippery side hilling in some spots. Traction devices and poles recommended at the very least, I was happy I thought to grab an ice axe. Tried to find the summer trail on the way back via GPS but it doesn't look like many folks have been going that way yet. Views on top as stunning as always, only one other person on the summit on a Friday afternoon. Snow is certainly sloppy, early starts are your friend.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 9:15 am 
Enjoyed the Darrington Mystery Trail yesterday.  Pics to follow.
rubywrangler

rubywrangler

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 3:27 pm 
Axis peak 6.4.20

Dayhiker parking at Stuart lake TH was about 60% full when I arrived at 7:45am. Julia showed up about 30 min later and we made good time to the lake, passing a handful of folks heading to Colchuck along the way. There are a few bootpaths off the main trail when you reach the lake. We took the first one which led into the boulder field, but quickly jumped on a minor ridge to the left for easier travel. We switchbacked up the steep sooty slope straight to the summit, barely touching snow. Axis is a glorious viewpoint, as many others have reported, and we stayed there for over an hour soaking up the sun and examining the ridge routes on Stuart that neither of us will ever attempt. On the way down we ended up on a more distinct bootpath near the trail and found a few piles of trash hidden along it, which we hauled out  mad.gif

Best part of this trip was multiple bears! In the morning, a scruffy subadult ran right in front of my car on Icicle Rd. I slammed on the brakes and rolled down the window; he stopped for a moment, then bounded north into the forest. The second bear was heading south across Hwy 2 a bit west of the Merritt Lake TH at about the same time on Friday morning. Just caught the tail end of him. And then saw a coyote on the shoulder a few minutes later. Maybe less traffic on these roads lately is bringing out more wildlife? Or maybe I'm just not usually out this early. clown.gif
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 3:38 pm 
rubywrangler wrote:
Best part of this trip was multiple bears! In the morning, a scruffy subadult ran right in front of my car on Icicle Rd. I slammed on the brakes and rolled down the window; he stopped for a moment, then bounded north into the forest. The second bear was heading south across Hwy 2 a bit west of the Merritt Lake TH at about the same time on Friday morning. Just caught the tail end of him. And then saw a coyote on the shoulder a few minutes later. Maybe less traffic on these roads lately is bringing out more wildlife? Or maybe I'm just not usually out this early.

I was fairly stunned when I saw 4 elk on the railroad tracks approaching Baring yesterday.  I had no idea there were elk anywhere in the Skykomish Valley, I'd never seen any hint of them during countless drives back and forth across Hwy 2 or numerous hikes.  Then during the hike (NF Skykomish to Pass Creek) saw several cloven hoofed tracks in the snow.  One was deer but another looked quite a bit bigger, might've been elk.
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostSun Jun 07, 2020 4:31 pm 
Nice trip and pics, rubywrangler! Yes, the bears are on the move now. We followed big bear prints in the snow coming down from Alpine Baldy last week, including lots of fresh humongous piles of scat lower down where they were dining . Yesterday, my horse and I followed a medium-sized black bear down a logging road behind my house. At first he thought he wanted to catch up to it, but after he stopped to sniff its pile of fresh scat, he lost his nerve. lol.gif
OlderthanIusedtobe, I was just chatting with some friends in Startup who live behind the Alpen who had two different elk walk through their pasture last week, so they are definitely in the Sky Valley. Also,several years ago, I saw a huge bull elk in the pasture next to the little church in Sultan.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSun Jun 07, 2020 9:49 pm 
French people get a little miffed when you call Darrington the Chamonix of the northwest.

Steve Erickson

Steve Erickson

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 10:37 am 
In 40 years of hiking the Skykomish area I have only seen one elk though I had been told by a local that they were in that area. Just shows how secretive an animal of the size can be.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 12:27 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Darrington the Chamonix of the northwest

Which mine is that?
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 12:56 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
In 40 years of hiking the Skykomish area I have only seen one elk though I had been told by a local that they were in that area. Just shows how secretive an animal of the size can be.

That makes me feel all the more fortunate for having spotted them this weekend.
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 12:19 pm 
Type 2 fun in the Chiwawa rain shadow 6/8/20
Type 2 fun in the Chiwawa rain shadow 6/8/20
Spring storm clouds over Chiwawa Ridge 6/8/20
Spring storm clouds over Chiwawa Ridge 6/8/20
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Jump to:   
Search this topic: