Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
Previous :: Next Topic  
Dante

Dante

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 6:43 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
11/19/2020 lunch at Mason Lake (via Ira Spring Trail).  My son and I were the second car at the Ira Spring trailhead last Thursday.  We were happy it wasn't raining when we got there.  It started snowing shortly after we crossed Mason Creek on the way up.  We hit real (more than patches of) snow around 3,000 feet.  We passed the owner of the other vehicle shortly thereafter.  He had turned around because he didn't have snowshoes and got tired of post holing.  We put on our snowshoed after the trail switched back toward the lake--probably around 3,800 feet.  We had lunch at the outlet of Mason Lake, but got cold fast once we stopped moving.  I had planned to continue on toward Mount defiance, but we decided to head back to the car after lunch.  We didn't see anyone else.  Fun trip.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSat Nov 28, 2020 1:51 pm 
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek

neek

PostSat Nov 28, 2020 2:19 pm 
^ hey, that looks familiar

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 9:13 am 
Dusk up to Artists Point.  You can still see the outline of the parking lot...more snow needed.

hiked up into Artists Point around dusk
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSat Dec 12, 2020 10:39 pm 
Lunch with a view.

Legionnaire

Legionnaire

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 11:06 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:

Hey @cyclopath where was this, also did one of you snowshoe and one of you XC skis? I am looking for some nice chill trails to XC skis that are off the groomed nordic tracks. Also what kind of skis/width are those? I am new to hiking/adventuring in the winter months and want to get snowshoes and skis.

Thanks!! Looks sick!!!
NBL
West Seattle Based

NBL

West Seattle Based
PostTue Dec 15, 2020 7:00 am 
South Bessemer Mountain on Saturday December 12. Perfect weather, blue skies. Snowshoes went on between 3500 - 4000. Broke trail to the summit. Crazy (and beautiful) surface hoar on summit, possibly signs of a weak layer around 5000 elsewhere on southern facing cascade peaks. Views of Garfield and the alpine lakes interior were epic. Would make a decent ski tour with a bit more snow.

RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostWed Dec 23, 2020 8:49 am 
12-22-2020
A visit to Capitol State Forest. We followed driving directions from Redwic's Summitpost page.

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/578335

Recently clearcut Larch Mtn.
Recently clearcut Larch Mtn.
Spur road to Larch.
Spur road to Larch.
Summit area, Larch Mtn.
Summit area, Larch Mtn.
One of several benchmarks on Larch Mtn.
One of several benchmarks on Larch Mtn.
Down from Larch Mtn.
Down from Larch Mtn.
Sign at Capitol Peak.
Sign at Capitol Peak.
Road up to Capitol Peak. This is a 15 minute walk from the gate below.
Road up to Capitol Peak. This is a 15 minute walk from the gate below.
Capitol Peak summit. 1 ft shorter than Larch Mtn.
Capitol Peak summit. 1 ft shorter than Larch Mtn.
Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostSat Dec 26, 2020 8:26 pm 
Pt. Defiance 122620 01
Pt. Defiance 122620 01

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
meck

meck

PostTue Dec 29, 2020 10:16 pm 
A fun afternoon visit to the Kitsap County Highpoint (Gold Mtn, SE of Green Mtn).  I'd been to the antenna farms a couple of times before, but somehow missed the actual highpoint, so I finally visited it.  Several antenna maintenance service vehicles passed me on the way up and down.  Lots of names in the logbook (including several from here).

a view of the lower half of the eastern Olys.
3 labels
a view of the lower half of the eastern Olys.
the Brothers
the Brothers
now those are what I call tire chains!
now those are what I call tire chains!
a view NW from logging road clearcut (Green Mtn summit is to the left out of frame)
a view NW from logging road clearcut (Green Mtn summit is to the left out of frame)
nearing the turnoff to the wooded summit (the antenna farms and clearcuts along the road provide better views)
nearing the turnoff to the wooded summit (the antenna farms and clearcuts along the road provide better views)
one of the two summit medallions
one of the two summit medallions
view from the summit.
view from the summit.

--------------
*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Jc21088
Jarred

Jc21088

Jarred
PostMon Jan 18, 2021 11:40 am 
Summit Lake and Bearhead attempt:

Road is rough due to active logging operations. I wouldn't attempt without a vehicle with some clearance. Road is heavily snow covered and rutted about a half mile from the split to Coplay Lake. A 4/AWD, high clearance vehicle needed to reach this point. We parked here and walked the rest of the way. The road becomes steep, narrow, and remains heavily snow covered and rutted beyond this point. A lifted vehicle with large tires could probably make it to the parking lot, but attempt at your own risk and I would advise having chains for the way down due to ice.

Trail is snow covered the entire way, but well packed. The snow is firm due to recent rain/ice, so snowshoes not need. I would recommend spikes since the trail is fairly icy in spots, particularly on some forested sections with ice just before Twin Lake. There is a stream crossing at the Twin Lake outlet that requires a climb down from the high snow, crossing through water, and then a climb back up the other side. Not sure if there was a snow bridge here previously, but we decided not to cross. Attempted to head up to Bearhead, but it was a bit too icy to make it up the steep climb. There is a faint trail to follow and on a warmer day it wouldn't be too difficult.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports.
  Happy Birthday RG, the1mitch!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: