Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
abkoch3

abkoch3
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 11:32 am 
Took the day on Monday to try and tag a few peaks around the Enchantments. Goal was Colchuck -> Dragontail -> Cannon -> Enchantment starting from Stuart Lk TH. Got an early start and headed up the Colchuck glacier. I had two ice tools anticipating the section that is down to bare ice, but it was pretty reasonable and so warm that the ice was pretty soft (good for me, scary for what it means environmentally). With crampons biting well, I only really used the second tool for a few moves and otherwise as a security blanket.
Dropped pack at the col and scooted up Colchuck.
Scramble to Dragontail via Pandora's Box was not as sketchy as I was expecting and probably the most fun scrambling of the day after getting into the gully off the loose crappy stuff below.
Dropped down to the core and easy going from there on out, spotting ~ 29 goats, although Cannon was a bit of a slog.
Coming down Aasgard was a study in suffering (the bonk I was working on didn't help). Something about descending from the city of the gods and all made it feel particularly hellish, although I think I would have felt the same going out the long miles after Nada Lk as well. Mosquitoes were incessant all day and it was pretty hazy from smoke and heat that only looks to get worse unfortunately. All that aside, super fun romp in a beautiful place. We are very blessed to have such a playground in our backyard.

Cyclopath, geyer, Nancyann  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 11:49 am 
Why are you guys putting all these in Lazy Trip Reports? Just put a title on it and stick it in the Trip Report forum.

Cyclopath, ChrisSJI, geyer, altersego, drewcoll, Tom, dave allyn  ozzy
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 12:24 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Why are you guys putting all these in Lazy Trip Reports? Just put a title on it and stick it in the Trip Report forum.
Exactly! All those beautiful photos and details warrant their own title in Trip Reports. Unless they don't want to be easily found. ~z

BensonM

BensonM
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 12:57 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Point taken. Will adjust behaviors.

abkoch3

abkoch3
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 1:07 pm 
^

neek

neek
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 2:02 pm 
Meh, key word is "lazy"; no size requirements. Put stuff where you like. Great looking hikes at any rate!

Nancyann, BensonM
kw

kw
PostWed Jul 14, 2021 7:01 pm 
abkoch3 wrote:
I had two ice tools anticipating the section that is down to bare ice, but it was pretty reasonable and so warm that the ice was pretty soft (good for me, scary for what it means environmentally).
Not sure if that'll be much of a glacier in a decade or so. That barely looks any better than it looked last year when I did the thru-hike on like August 30th.

TheWanderingIndian

TheWanderingIndian
PostMon Jul 19, 2021 11:35 pm 
Did rainy lake on Sunday. The trail is steep most of the way. Got some nice swimming a lounging done at the lake. Also I found huckleberries and about lost it lol. I love them. I spent about 20 minutes picking them. Then About 20 minutes after I left the berries, I saw a bear running up the hill. Guess we were all snacking that day! Good times in the alpines!

Cyclopath, capbiker, Nancyann, mosey  KascadeFlat
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 11:50 am 
My wife and I just set the SKT for doing the Olympic High Divide loop - 120 hours. We traveled at -2mph the whole way. It was a glorious time. Saw every flower, every marmot, every bear and all the views, twice. Very few people, which was quite surprising. Sunny, then foggy, then sunny and foggy, then sunny. Just exactly perfect.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.

HikingBex, olderthanIusedtobe
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 12:24 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
My wife and I just set the SKT
That makes me think of a Calvin and Hobbes comic where they have a slow motion race. I think one of them goes so slow he actually starts moving backwards.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostTue Jul 20, 2021 1:33 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
coldrain108 wrote:
My wife and I just set the SKT
That makes me think of a Calvin and Hobbes comic where they have a slow motion race. I think one of them goes so slow he actually starts moving backwards.
We were in India one time and took a meditation class. Part of the class the Swami made us walk around the room as slow as humanly possible...so we were doing the Swami walk the whole trip.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
hot.choss

hot.choss
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 9:21 am 
Climbed Hinman & camped at La Bohn Gap Thursday night (7/22). The skeeters were awful but the views were worth it.

Cyclopath, BensonM, HikingBex, ozzy, Dave Weyrick, hapemask, Downhill, mike, TheWanderingIndian, Tom  KascadeFlat
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 11:25 am 
hot.choss wrote:
Such beautiful country and what a view! Trying to figure this out on a map. Would those peaks in the middle distance be Silver Eagle on the left and then Bald Eagle to the right? Maybe that big lake in the middle left is Locket? So envious of the ability to reach these points. The closest I've been would be Emerald and Jade Lake somewhere below or East Daniel Peak further east. ~z

hot.choss
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 12:06 pm 
zephyr wrote:
Silver Eagle on the left and then Bald Eagle to the right? Maybe that big lake in the middle left is Locket?
After checking it out on Google Earth, I think all of those are correct. Jade Lake is the small one in the center, with a little big of Ilswoot showing on the right.

Mid Fork Rocksflickr

hot.choss
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostSat Jul 24, 2021 12:31 pm 
7/16 - 7/17 overnight loop up Quartz Creek; to June, Blue (6562') and Benchmark mtns; down West Cady Ridge All new territory for me. Mosquitos were out at/below Curry Gap and dropping off West Cady, none higher up. Some blowdowns to negotiate, but all were easily passable with one exception on the ridge that required an army crawl. A few snow patches remaining up there and lots of water right now. Zero people on Q. Creek or Bald Eagle trails, and not too many on the PCT either. Huge marmots! I camped on the summit of Blue in a cloud and woke up above an inversion, it was spectacular! Except I could barely see Blue lake. Benchmark has great views and I would have liked to spend a night there, unfortunately had a plane to catch. ~29 mi, 9900' of gain
bald eagle trail
bald eagle trail
june summit
june summit
good morning!
good morning!
blue lake
blue lake
sloan
sloan
camp
camp
backlit
backlit
sally ann
sally ann
indian head, luahna, clark, saul
indian head, luahna, clark, saul
benchmark
benchmark
monte cristos
monte cristos
n fork sky
n fork sky

Cyclopath, mosey, neek, HikingBex, hapemask, Downhill, olderthanIusedtobe  KascadeFlat, awilsondc