Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KascadeFlat

KascadeFlat
PostMon May 06, 2024 8:32 pm 
A stroll up the Carbon River yesterday. We originally planned to head up FR 73 to see how close we could get to Lake Eleanor. Driving rain on 410 pushed us to milder climes. Beta on FR 73 still appreciated, if anyone has it.

For a good time call: 1-800-SLD-ALDR.

Now I Fly, day_hike_mike, jaysway, RichP, zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon May 06, 2024 9:15 pm 
I visited the Carbon Glacier when I backpacked the Wonderland Trail but I came from Spray Park so I've never gone in this way. I've been thinking about it all spring as a nice long day hike. Thanks for sharing the photos, looks like you had the perfect day for it.

Flickr | Strava

KascadeFlat
jaysway

jaysway
PostFri May 10, 2024 11:44 am 
I made it out to Rattlesnake Ledge this week for the first time. I went after work, catching sunset on my way down. There were plenty of people, but it didn't feel overly congested. I can see why this hike is so popular, you start out with nice views at the lake, the trail is gentle (there were a lot of trail runners), and then each ledge features great views of the surrounding terrain. I have been in Seattle for over a year now, but I am still amazed by how close views like these are to a major metro area!

zimmertr, Now I Fly  KascadeFlat
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostFri May 10, 2024 1:18 pm 
It's a cool place. Like many others this was the first hike I did when I moved to Washington and it blew my mind. I love going back now. Cedar Butte right nearby is great too. Especially on a foggy/rainy day. Near the beginning you can take a left and hop over some strategically downed trees that obscure the path and take the old trail almost all the way to the first ledge. You'll still see people through the trees occasionally but I've only seen one other person on that trail ever. It's shorter/steeper/quicker too. There's allegedly a scramble route directly up to the first ledge too but I haven't tried to find it yet.

Flickr | Strava

Fedor, jaysway, Now I Fly
jaysway

jaysway
PostSat May 11, 2024 1:58 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
Near the beginning you can take a left and hop over some strategically downed trees that obscure the path and take the old trail almost all the way to the first ledge. You'll still see people through the trees occasionally but I've only seen one other person on that trail ever. It's shorter/steeper/quicker too.
That is very neat, I had no idea! Thank you. I was honestly thinking to myself that I wouldn't the trail being steeper, especially on the way up.

zimmertr
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun May 12, 2024 7:37 pm 
There are a couple variations on that old trail route that rock climbers use. I explored some of them years ago. I think rock climbing activity has been reduced because of the threat of people throwing rocks off the top not thinking there might be climbers below.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue May 14, 2024 5:29 am 
Looks like a great view from there

Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue May 14, 2024 4:45 pm 
A favorite local loop! agree.gif Exit 42, Ira Spring TH, Ira Springs-DHPT connector, DHPT, Web's NW basin to Web, P3, Defiance, Mason Lake, Exit 42. The snow on this route is in fine shape right now. I carried Snowshoes, but they didn't come off the pack. Used crampon, but probably not needed. An axe was nice, but poles may have been enough.
Gained, then crossed over Web's west ridge.
The ridge looked snow free to P3
Spider Lake from Web.
found the ammo box. always fun to read. smile.gif
Cloudbase dropped and set the mood for the traverse.
P3 summit views,
then on to Defiance where the snow was still good but getting soft.
Tagged Defiance then headed to the lake.
Passed Mason Lake then down to Exit 42 and the truck. Banana Ridge is always fun, and makes for a good loop. Cheers B!

mbravenboer, mike, olderthanIusedtobe, ALW Hiker, Kascadia, jaysway, catsp  KascadeFlat
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostThu May 16, 2024 9:40 pm 
5/15/24 Went up the Mad River yesterday. It’s starting to recover nicely after the fire a few years ago. Lots of flowers were past peak, but still got to enjoy the Tweedies. wub.gif
What is this thing?
We hiked out in the evening and were treated to two sightings of Harlequin Ducks resting by the river, so beautiful.
Plus a little rattlesnake right in the middle of the trail, a bit unfriendly.

mike, jaysway, Now I Fly, olderthanIusedtobe, fourteen410
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri May 17, 2024 8:16 am 
Yeah, tweedies are out in the Wenatchee Mountains. You’re second pic is a variety of stonecrop iirc.
Tweedies and arnica

Nancyann
ALW Hiker
lakebagger

ALW Hiker
lakebagger
PostFri May 17, 2024 5:22 pm 
Now I Fly wrote:
A favorite local loop! agree.gif Exit 42, Ira Spring TH, Ira Springs-DHPT connector, DHPT, Web's NW basin to Web, P3, Defiance, Mason Lake, Exit 42. The snow on this route is in fine shape right now. I carried Snowshoes, but they didn't come off the pack. Used crampon, but probably not needed. An axe was nice, but poles may have been enough.
Nice report and pictures! I have yet to tackle the traverse from P3 to Defiance, but I enjoyed the P3 to Web/DHB loop last spring. It was fun to do in that direction since I got in some glissading down the north side of Web. I like how your route avoids the actual P3 trail - nice.
Now I Fly wrote:
Thompson Lake from Web.
This is actually Spider Lake. It would be fun to look down on Thompson, but you have to be up near Revolution Peak or on the north peak of Web to see it.

Now I Fly
Now I Fly

Now I Fly
PostTue May 21, 2024 9:05 am 
Snow Lake Pass-Avalanche Peak-Snoqualmie Mountain Loop. This fun (and sometimes challenging) loop is in pretty good shape right now. Most of the boulder fields on route are still filled in nicely. There was deep soft snow in the meadows between the pass and Avalanche Peak.
Dropping off the Avalanche ridge into Thunder Creek basin can be a little sketchy, but not too but. In the basin it was nice having the boulder fields filled in.
Once on Snoqualmie's west ridge the current snow conditions made for nice traveling on the traverse and up to the top.
The clouds broke just in time. smile.gif
Fun day. Cheers, B!

Comma, KascadeFlat, RichP, JimK