Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
B+L

B+L
PostThu Jul 17, 2014 9:06 pm 
The deer at Moose Lake were sort of obnoxiously goat-like in 2003, so it's not surprising that they've learned to catch rocks since then.
satanic pee drinker
satanic pee drinker

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostFri Jul 18, 2014 6:38 pm 
60s+ gals hiked along the elwha river trail, stopping at goblin's gate and the suspension bridge. we saw a couple of kayakers (play boats) having a fun time on the river! up.gif i had my photo taken at the ledge at goblin's gate...an update from 10 years ago biggrin.gif
on the edge of the ledge
on the edge of the ledge
okay...photos from today's hike
goblin's gate
goblin's gate
elwha river
elwha river
shade trees
shade trees
kayakers
kayakers
on the suspension bridge
on the suspension bridge
if you've been to Humes Ranch, you'll notice an apple tree that has a hole in its trunk yet continues to bear fruit! awesome!
hole in the apple tree trunk
hole in the apple tree trunk
apples!
apples!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 20, 2014 10:45 pm 
Did a 4 day backpacking trip starting at Deception Pass/Hyas Lake TH. I'll try to do a full TR and post pictures later. Went with a big group, we had an ambitious plan for a loop including climbing Mt. Daniel and then returning via Peggys Pond/Cathedral Pass. We bailed on that somewhere in the middle and had to backtrack. Still a great trip. First day we camped at Tuck Lake. Had a friendly goat in camp in the morning. We did a quick trip up to the Robin Lakes (still more frozen than melted; Tuck was completely thawed out), then broke down camp and headed to Deception Pass. Below the pass continuing towards Marmot Lake was a significant avalanche path w/ lots of blow down we had to pick our way thru. Beyond that the trail was in good shape. Marmot was completely melted out. We continued around the lake and up, up, up. No Name Lake was mostly snow covered still, but Jade was thawed. Camp 2 was at Jade. Holy cow that is a gorgeous lake! You gotta earn it, but worth it. Several of our group climbed up the small glacier between Dip Top and Lynch to take a gander at Pea Soup Lake and the north side of Daniel. None of us really liked the look of continuing from that point, so we retreated. But that is one of the better viewpoints I've ever had. Wow! Pea Soup was mostly iced up but some beautiful blue was showing thru. Daniel was playing peek-a-boo but we got some decent glimpses. We headed back down, got clear of the blow down and camped in the basin below about a dozen waterfalls (gorgeous!) about a mile or 2 short of Deception Pass. The weather had been variable from totally sunny to mostly cloudy, but had stayed dry until our last night (Saturday). We got doused. Quick easy trip out this morning. Lots of beautiful lakes, quite varied terrain. From Deception Pass on was all new territory for me. Big thumbs up for the Alpine Lakes Wilderness! up.gif edited to add: we didn't see or smell smoke from the Chiwaukum Creek fire. I was pleasantly surprised, I was worried about that right before our trip started. Cle Elum/Roslyn were clear and smoke free on Thursday and Sunday.

n16ht5

n16ht5
PostSun Jul 20, 2014 11:16 pm 
Gnomee took me out riverboarding Riverboarding Skykomish

Distel32

Distel32
PostMon Jul 21, 2014 6:26 am 
Out and back to Harts Pass from Rainy. Even without the views, still such a nice place to spend time. One steep traverse remains after Cutthroat, all other snow very benign. Brush in the W. Fork Methow area and Brush Creek. The few trail washouts on the steep contours before Snowy Lakes and also around Tatie are easy, until a big storm hits. All photos and GPS

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jul 21, 2014 10:05 am 
Spray Park on Saturday was the first time I've ever been there and not been eaten alive by mosquitoes. In fact I did not see a single one despite all the standing water. Amazing. They're probably hatching as we speak. Large snow patches in the upper part of the park still. Avy lilies galore, some magenta paintbrush.
Rainier
Rainier
The Mowich trailhead and trails are always a trip. Tacoma's own little corner of the park I guess. We saw: large multi generational groups on the trails with music playing from ipods; a dog in a baby sling (yes on the trail); people very inappropriately dressed and prepared for hiking (flip flops, short shorts, no water); we were asked numerous times, "where does this trail go?" Or, "are we almost at the falls?" when they were not even close. Wow! It was crazier than Paradise IMO. Many folks were asking the ranger at the trailhead what there was to do in the area. How in the world do you end up there and not know anything about it? Someone at the trailhead asked us if he were at Paradise, and when we told him no, he asked for directions. He wanted to do Skyline Trail. I said I could show him on a map and of course he didn't have one. How did HE end up there??

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostSat Jul 26, 2014 5:55 pm 
Hi\Lo lake is still High

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Jul 26, 2014 7:40 pm 
n16ht5 wrote:
Gnomee took me out riverboarding Riverboarding Skykomish
n16ht5, Hey that looks like a lot of fun. I have played in the Skykomish rapids later in the season. So it looks like you need a lot of gear including the board. Do you all rent this stuff, or is this something that one does like skiing and you just accumulate everything? Many, many years ago I went down the French Broad River near Asheville, N.C. on a short body surfing raft. We all were in college and we had two big multi-person rafts but not enough room for everybody. Another guy used a big truck inner tube. shakehead.gif We went down in spring high water and it was both terrifying and thrilling. Nothing like being at water level and hearing a big roar ahead as the river bends through towers of rock. eek.gif Not the wisest thing I have done. Thereafter I was always in a raft or kayak. ~z

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jul 26, 2014 8:17 pm 
got all the gear, super tiring we had to take breaks when boarding... oh and chief's report....that was fun too....must say I've got one nice butt.... hockeygrin.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 9:18 am 
Dayhiked into Blanca Lake on Saturday morning. Lots of people at the lake and many, many more hiking in later that afternoon.
DCG_3895 - Beautiful Blanca Lake
DCG_3895 - Beautiful Blanca Lake
DCG_3907 - Whippets more interested in whistling marmot than Blanca Lake!
DCG_3907 - Whippets more interested in whistling marmot than Blanca Lake!
DCG_3915-16 Party time on Blanca Lake
DCG_3915-16 Party time on Blanca Lake
DCG_3924 - Hard to hold the whippets attention!
DCG_3924 - Hard to hold the whippets attention!
DCG_3925 - Last look at Blanca Lake
DCG_3925 - Last look at Blanca Lake

Hiking_Husky

Hiking_Husky
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 12:29 pm 
A couple friends and I spent the night at the top of Mt. Pugh this past weekend (July 26/27)...beautiful weather! Trail was in great shape, and took about 5 total steps in snow (along the ridge). Fun scramble, great views, amazing sunrise/sunset!!!

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 12:40 pm 
Hiking_Husky wrote:
Did Christo do some wrap art in this area without me noticing?

Hiking_Husky

Hiking_Husky
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 12:50 pm 
Haha, thanks for thinking our bivy so artistic! Yeah, we took a tarp to lay out to keep our stuff clean and dry. Don't worry though, we packed it out so as to let others try their hand at art...it was a great bivy spot!

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 1:24 pm 
At first glance, this looks like a parachute - that would be one way to go down Pugh dizzy.gif

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostMon Jul 28, 2014 6:34 pm 
Did a loop hike out of Dog Lake campground (White Pass) up to Cramer Lake, then over to Dumbell and spent the night at Buesch Lake. Camera died so no photos, sorry. Amazing few bugs for that area, but some people seemed to think they were terrible. Saw one astounding thing on the way up and REALLY wish my camera had been working because there was a guy CARRYING A BALE OF HAY STRAPPED TO HIS BACK. Well, technically he was sitting down when I caught up to him, but you know what I mean. He didn't look happy, and when I asked the older guy who was with him how much the bale weighed he said "about sixty pounds" so he came by his discomfort honestly. Anyway, nobody at Cramer, Dumbell of Buesch, so I got the primo spot at Buesch for the first time in years. Saw sizeable fish jumping, which was a surprise considering how shallow the lake is. Also saw a bunch of colorful ducks and got swarmed by camp robbers. Nice lakey camp. Hiked out on the PCT south Sunday, saw a goodly number of people there of course, some even said "Hello" back. Completed the loop by cutting down Dark Meadows trail (boring) and back home in time for dinner. smile.gif