Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thread for lazy trip reports
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Apr 04, 2017 6:57 am 
April 3, 2017. Philadelphia Mountain (4658'). An all day hike and snowshoe up to the summit via the Lake Serene trail. Pretty rocky and rough trail beyond the waterfalls. The creek crossing about a half mile from the lake is steep and surrounded with deep snow. That turned back two separate solo hikers ahead of us. We put on microspikes to cross the avalanche slopes before the lake. The snow was deep and compact, but as it warms up later in season I would be circumspect about crossing this section of trail. Above the lake snowshoes were required. And an ice axe was essential for self-belays up the steep roller coaster of deep snow drifts. Lots of exposure on the ridge above Lake Serene. If you slipped to the right you would plummet a few hundred feet to the lake shore. The return trip was just as precarious especially in spots where the snow was steep and you couldn't easily maintain a good step. Other spots that had solar radiation could be plunge-stepped. Views of Mt. Index were superb. Lots of action on the peak with loud thunderous avalanches including a spectacular Finale as we got close to the lake on our return. Views out toward surrounding distant ranges were nice as well as down into the Skykomish River valley. ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostWed Apr 05, 2017 2:01 pm 
It was a busy weekend...a little spring and a little more winter. Freund Canyon Road http://www.musthikemusteat.com/hwy-2/freund-canyon-road/ Lake Valhalla Snowshoe http://www.musthikemusteat.com/hwy-2/lake-valhalla-snowshoe/ Cle Elum Ridge and Rat Pac Trail http://www.musthikemusteat.com/i-90/cle-elum-ridge-and-rat-pack-trail/

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 07, 2017 7:59 am 
Dirty Harrys road closed and nearly impassable. Birdhouse trail many blow downs but passable with effort no work since last summer lots of fall through post holes. Scramble at end to balcony. Mount Washington snow free to Owl View some blowdown cleared no problems to creek crossing. Snowshoes would be helpful beyond creek deep snow with holes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostSat Apr 08, 2017 5:25 pm 
FR 9033 off i90 to access mason lake, bandera, talapus, olallie, etc trailheads...blocked by multiple downed trees and a huge snow bank a couple hundred yards off the freeway FYI. Impassable at this time, maybe from the wind "storm" yesterday, or previous. Was just driving thru the pass and pulled off to see what roads were like up there.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Apr 08, 2017 6:07 pm 
irierootsnw wrote:
Was just driving thru the pass and pulled off to see what roads were like up there.
That's really good reporting. Thanks. ~z

Walkinaround

Walkinaround
PostSun Apr 09, 2017 4:35 pm 
No problem

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostWed Apr 12, 2017 3:38 am 
cherry creek falls 4-11-17
Mud hole before lower crossing
Mud hole before lower crossing
Looks feet wet
Looks feet wet
Feet wet or slippery log
Feet wet or slippery log
Upper crossing much better
Upper crossing much better

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Apr 14, 2017 1:18 pm 
My son came out to visit from Omaha for a few days, so naturally the first thing to do was leave town to get away from the rain! We headed over to the Leavenworth area looking for sun, and enjoyed a couple of nice walks in partly cloudy weather, but nothing more than a few raindrops the entire day. We stopped by one of my favorites, Chiwaukum Creek, to see how far up the road we could get without snow gear. There was a little snow berm just off the highway which we didn't want to take the rental car over, so we parked here.
Chiwaukum Creek Road 4/13/17
We walked up to the trailhead and found this guy stuck and waiting for his brother.
Ford Explorer stuck at the Chiwaukum Creek Trailhead 4/13/17
Ford Explorer stuck at the Chiwaukum Creek Trailhead 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek was gorgeous as always.
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
Chiwaukum Creek 4/13/17
We encountered soft snow covering the road after about a half mile, so turned around and headed down to Leavenworth.
We did the tourist thing in town for a little while and then headed up the Icicle Ridge Trail. Not much to see in the way of wildflowers yet, but a beautiful male grouse crossed the trail right in front of us.
Wild flowers on the Icicle Ridge Trail 4/13/17
Grouse, Icicle Ridge Trail 4/13/17
Grouse, Icicle Ridge Trail 4/13/17
New snow on the surrounding mountains enhanced the views.
Views from Icicle Ridge Trail 4/13/17
Views from the Icicle Ridge Trail 4/13/17
Views from the Icicle Ridge Trail 4/13/17
Looking back up the Tumwater Canyon, we could see signs of bad weather up higher.
We were glad we escaped to the east side for the day, when on our return over the pass we were greeted by snow, sleet and rain!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Apr 16, 2017 3:42 pm 
Nice Easter Morning ski up Hyak Mountain with Cordon Negro and snacks. Excellent spring snow on the way down. No crowds as area was closed. Almost blue bird but some high clouds.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Apr 19, 2017 9:28 pm 
April 16, 2017. Sanford Canyon to Cleman Mountain. A friend and I did this on Sunday. We were inspired by RichP's report and explorations. As were many folks that day we were lured by the prospect of sunny skies. But there was a high overcast all day with some sunshine occasionally. Then it darkened as the day progressed, we hiked out in sprinkles then drove home in rain. Very long drive over from Seattle and meeting my friend up north put us at the trail head by 10 am. The steepness starts immediately as we hiked up to the canyon entrance. Along the way we met a herd of Bighorn Sheep--probably 30+. We tried to ease around them and not spook them too much. Other than that we didn't see other people or animals all day except for ravens and other birds. No rattlesnakes and only one tick was spotted. We did encounter sheep pellets by the millions just about everywhere. Those sheep have criss-crossed much of those ridges. We saw multiple trails lacing the canyon walls. The brush had not leafed out yet, but it will very soon. Lots of stickery brush and sharp pokey branches. That combined with the cobble-sized basalt rocks over the entire surface of the ground made for tough tedious hiking at times. Trekking poles were helpful and boots are essential. We wore gaiters to keep the ticks at bay. The canyon walls were rugged and the ridges were colorful with the new spring growth and the almost fluorescent lichen. Groves of aspen and the occasional Ponderosa Pine (I believe) enhanced the vistas. Most of these pines were enormous. The canyon terrain is constantly changing and one stays alert to pick the best side of the creek to be on at any moment in order to avoid the brush and the talus slopes. Speaking of which, you pass beneath towering cliffs of crumbly, eroded basalt. It's scenic and extraordinary, but don't linger. Lots of rockfall--big stuff to make one uneasy. Keep moving. We originally were going to do a similar trip to RichP's, but I think we bailed out of the canyon earlier than he did. We were running out of daylight and took a sub-ridge about 3800' to the east and then aimed for Cleman Mountain. We reached the road (about 4920') and some remaining snow patches by shortly after 4 pm. We could see the summit radio tower to the north. The winds were pretty strong and quite cold by now. Views were extensive in all directions but the cloud deck was too low to see Mt. Adams or Mt. Rainier. The Stuart Range was visible but the lighting was poor. It looked very dark toward Snoqualmie Pass. We took the east ridge of Sandford Canyon down all the way to the car. There were some cliffy areas to be traversed, but otherwise the going was good. Rocky and rough, but much easier than the canyon traverse. Great Spring hike for the geologist and landform lovers. ~z

PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 6:39 am 
4/15, Mt. Washington with a new friend from KC ESAR (which I am strongly considering joining). Melted out most of the way, definitely still snow up top, but we just spiked it. Saw some people going up in Vans and the like (yikes!). The trail is getting more popular.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Apr 20, 2017 10:11 am 
Tam-a-Lau was cloudy but very pleasant for hiking last Sunday. Just a smattering of people on Easter Sunday.
Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Adam on point. 
Adam on point. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
That is a very happy dog. 
That is a very happy dog. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Dog cheering people on, as they arrived at the top of the plateau. 
Dog cheering people on, as they arrived at the top of the plateau. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Phlox and sage 
Phlox and sage Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Phlox and sage. 
Phlox and sage. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Snow drops. 
Snow drops. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
The Island. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
My peeps.  Actually someone else brought the peeps for Easter. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
My peeps. Actually someone else brought the peeps for Easter. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Phlox and sage. 
Phlox and sage. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Balsamroot. 
Balsamroot. Tam-a-Lau trail, Lake Billy Chinook, OR, 04/16/17
Balsamroot. 
Balsamroot. 

friluftsliv
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Apr 30, 2017 9:39 am 
I decided to hike up Hamilton Mountain in the gorge on Saturday 4-29-17 after dropping someone off at the airport. No snow, not really any flowers, a bit muddy going up hill after the waterfall bridge. I was really feeling it today and made the summit in 56 minutes, spent 6 minutes on top, and down in 37 minutes for a 1 hour 39 minute round trip (~ 6.5 miles 2400 ft gain). This pace was way faster than I've gone in years. I'd like to think a little of the spirit of Ueli Steck was with me, RIP brother.
Hamilton Mountain
Hamilton Mountain
Hamilton Mountain
Hamilton Mountain
Hamilton Mountain
Hamilton Mountain
Hamilton Mountain
Hamilton Mountain

meck

meck
PostWed May 10, 2017 7:31 pm 
Mt Townsend: this last weekend Didn't get rained on, but ended up hiking up into the clouds. Both THs on the east side are now accessible (I started at the lower TH below Sink Lake). Still gobs of snow, I think I was the only one to summit on the day I went, multiple other parties ahead of me turned around because they did not have snow gear, or could not find the trail (buried under 3+ feet of snow), or didn't want to deal with postholing to mid-thigh. Since I could not enjoy the expansive views, I instead focused on the small details.
Sink Lake is very full
Sink Lake is very full
"trail brushing" that involved clearing brush wide enough so that a flying Delorean Time Machine would be able to make it up the trail.... its beginning to remind me of those overused I-90 trails...
"trail brushing" that involved clearing brush wide enough so that a flying Delorean Time Machine would be able to make it up the trail.... its beginning to remind me of those overused I-90 trails...
fresh snow
fresh snow
Welch Peak
Welch Peak
consistent snow now
consistent snow now
Sink Lake from above
Sink Lake from above
at Camp Windy
at Camp Windy
Mt T summit, Silver Lakes junction
Mt T summit, Silver Lakes junction
some of the switchbacks are melted out
some of the switchbacks are melted out
summit in view
summit in view
looking towards the north end of the ridge
looking towards the north end of the ridge
radiant pine green.... perfect!
radiant pine green.... perfect!
natural orange highlighter
natural orange highlighter
pillowy basalt
pillowy basalt
such fine texture
such fine texture
navigating back through the clouds
navigating back through the clouds
puffed up flyer
puffed up flyer
looking east underneath the cloud cover
looking east underneath the cloud cover
Seattle in the distance
Seattle in the distance
Seattle in the distance (this time taken from the old Quilcene Lookout site)
Seattle in the distance (this time taken from the old Quilcene Lookout site)

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Stella

Stella
PostWed May 24, 2017 10:14 pm 
We enjoyed the beautiful weather on May 21 by hiking the Quartz Creek trail with a goal of getting to lower Blethen Lake. This was our first time on the road/trail. Prior accounts of creek crossings were helpful. At the crossing with the collapsed trestle beams we butt-scooted down and clambered up the far side. All along the way we appreciated whomever had recently brushed out the trail. Thank you, thank you!!! (Flatsqwerl was this you?) While our goal was the lake, we lost the faint trail in the patchy/post holing snow and ran up against our turn around time. Next time I'll bring a GPS.