Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 12:59 pm 
Steve Erickson wrote:
I was not familiar with those falls. Great photos and definitely a place to visit the next time I am in Oregon. Thanks for sharing.
This is a jump off point for a bunch of hiking, and its just outside of town. It is one of the major landmark attractions for Bend, yet it only has parking for about 15 cars at the end of a wash board gravel road. Biggest challenge is getting a parking spot.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rossb

rossb
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 6:29 pm 
Went up to Dickerman today. No snow until a bit after the waterfall. Intermittent snow (about 60-40 snow) from there, with big stretches of both snow and dry ground.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jul 07, 2017 11:47 am 
Hidden Lake LO yesterday. Flowers are coming along nicely in the switchback section after you get above timberline. During the traverse thru the heather meadows, trail is about 50% snow covered. I can see what a previous TR (can't remember if that was here or WTA) meant by bad runout on some of the snowy sections. I had my ice axe but didn't end up getting it out. I probably should have. Saw several other parties, nobody had an axe. No accidents as far as I know. A slip could be bad in a few spots. Snow up to the saddle above the lake, just beyond that the path is melted out the rest of the way up to the LO. Beautiful views throughout the hike of course. It was nice to be out, but it was a bit too warm for my liking, kinda wiped me out. I ended up just doing out and back to the LO, didn't hit Hidden Lake Peak and traverse along the ridgeline back to Sibley Creek Pass like I usually do. One pair looked like they were heading for the peak. There is a bit of stinging nettle in the brushy section, so watch your step. Saw an owl laying in the middle of the road just chilling when I was driving back down toward Cascade River Rd. That was unexpected. The road is in fairly bad shape, as bumpy as I've ever encountered it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Jul 08, 2017 9:05 pm 
Mt. Pugh today. Mostly snow free, but several patches remain above Stujack Pass. Steep and with bad run out in a few places. An ice axe or traction devices or both are preferable. Saw a big clump of goat hair just a little below the summit, but didn't see any goats. Fantastic views. Mountains in every direction. Only a few skeeters today, but there were all kinds of different bugs buzzing around the top, kind of annoying. It wasn't exactly crowded, but probably the most parties I've seen on that trail in a single day.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jul 09, 2017 1:54 am 
Grand Park yesterday (7/8) via Eleanor. Road is in great shape (large log blocking half of the road just past the parking area), trail is totally snow free exept for one tiny patch just before hitting the meadows, and the meadows are totally melted out. Couple small logs down over the trail but nothing difficult to get over. Bugs are pretty bad. Flowers are starting to pop, but still about 2 weeks from peak.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 11, 2017 8:35 pm 
Indian Henry's Hunting Ground from Longmire. Glacier and Avalanche Lily forming carpets little snow to Cabin. Good shape to Tahoma Glacier. Great views few people.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 8:36 pm 
Jake & I did a quick hike to Poo Poo Point. It was even more fun than I had imagined. Parking wasn't too crazy and people on the trail were all very nice. Lots of paraglider activity this day. Apparently the wind needs to be NW for good conditions.
Paraglider landing at the parking area of Poo Poo Point
Paraglider landing at the parking area of Poo Poo Point
Jake enjoying grapes at the south site
Jake enjoying grapes at the south site
View of Mt Rainier at the south site of Poo Poo
View of Mt Rainier at the south site of Poo Poo
Paragliders taking off at Poo Poo Point
Paragliders taking off at Poo Poo Point
Paraglider at Poo Poo Point
Jake at the north side
Jake at the north side
Martin & Jake
Martin & Jake
Martin & Jake
Martin & Jake
Paragliders at Poo Poo Point
Jake hanging out with the paragliders to learn about their gear
Jake hanging out with the paragliders to learn about their gear

HermitThrush

HermitThrush
PostWed Jul 12, 2017 11:37 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Indian Henry's Hunting Ground from Longmire. Glacier and Avalanche Lily forming carpets little snow to Cabin. Good shape to Tahoma Glacier. Great views few people.
Really love this hike. Hmmm.......

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 12:55 pm 
Mt. Aix on Saturday (7/15). Only one tiny patch of snow left, just after you pass thru Nelson Ridge. Trail is in good shape. They road beyond the paved section...not so much. I should amend, virtually snow free if you take the direct route to the summit. If you take the longer version that traverses completely below the peak and then circles back to it, there are a few patches of snow on the back side. Still, nothing that requires an axe. This trail doesn't have a riot of wildflowers, but there are some really nice patches of ground cover along Nelson Ridge and part of the traverse towards the peak.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 2:20 pm 
Wandered into Sand Lake North of White Pass on the PCT yesterday - clear all the way. Removed the birdhouse someone put there last year - dog swam, mosquitoes were HEAVY by the lake, very present everywhere else.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostSun Jul 16, 2017 9:12 pm 
We wandered around various Squawk Mountain trails today (first visit). Really a nice surprise to visit someplace this close in, and not see many people. May Valley Loop Trail was very lightly visited, only saw three other groups in 6 miles. No issues parking, lots of spots.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
sooperfly

sooperfly
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 2:43 pm 
Spent a few days in the Pasayten, caught a few fish, cleared some trails. This guy walked out of the brush at my campsite Monday while I was eating breakfast. He sauntered around eating and swimming for about 20-30 minutes and then headed out. Turn your volume up you can hear him chewing! smile.gif

hikingshen

hikingshen
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 10:29 pm 
Hiked up to Lookout Mountain Lookout near Marblemount on Saturday. A little snow left near the top, brushy with a good amount of stinging nettle on the trail on the way up. More photos and detailed write-up on the blog.
Lookout Mountain 14
Lookout Mountain 14
Lookout Mountain 12
Lookout Mountain 12
Lookout Mountain 9
Lookout Mountain 9
Lookout Mountain 8
Lookout Mountain 8
Lookout Mountain 4
Lookout Mountain 4
Lookout Mountain 3
Lookout Mountain 3

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 pm 
Marmot, Hozzbizz, No Name, and Jade lakes. Lovely conditions to this special place. Mozzies getting thick but permethrin helped a lot. Saw many people going in tonight but pretty empty on Monday to Wednesday.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 2:59 pm 
grand ridge, ONP, wildflowers
looking down into badger valley

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss