Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 3:03 pm 
silver lake, ONF

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 4:09 pm 
bobbi wrote:
up.gif Nice action shot! I like the elephant's head, too.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Jul 20, 2017 4:11 pm 
hikingshen wrote:
brushy with a good amount of stinging nettle on the trail
I got stung about a dozen times on my only visit to Lookout Mtn. A year or 2 later I did do Monogram Lake, and the lower section (where I got stung repeatedly) had been brushed out.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jul 23, 2017 11:02 am 
Beargrass and avalanche lilies are going off along Kautz Creek and Indian Henry's Hunting Ground. My really old Spring/Manning 50 Hikes in MRNP book calls it 2300 ft. of elevation gain. All day long I was wondering how I could possibly be getting my butt kicked so much by only 2 K of climbing. Well WTA calls it 3800 and NPS 3500. So maybe nobody really knows how much up, but I can guarantee it's more than 2000. And it was a very warm day and I got started too late. But anyway. Been meaning to get up there for a while, finally did. Meadows and flowers were nice. Rainier was being coy and stayed partially hidden. Almost everybody up there but me saw a bear where you traverse under Mt. Ararat. I missed it coming and going. I've been getting shut out all year on critter sightings. I saw a tree squirrel and several frogs. Haven't even seen 1 marmot yet this year. Don't know what's going on, apparently I'm a critter repellent currently.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jul 25, 2017 9:01 pm 
up.gif Glacier Lake waterfall is a bit whispy but has some flow going, nice.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 9:40 am 
SRSLY? somebody just left their tent up on a mountain like that? dizzy.gif was there a trail of breadcrumbs leading back to the trailhead too?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 10:47 am 
well, I guess it's a free tent if somebody wants to go up there and haul it out. maybe you should post it in the "Trading Post" forum! or put it in the "Free" listings on Craigslist! lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
EJ

EJ
PostThu Aug 17, 2017 11:14 am 
Maybe someone left the tent while they were climbing Glacier Peak? And collapsed it so it wouldn't blow away if the wind kicked up?

Desertsp

Desertsp
PostSun Aug 20, 2017 9:05 am 
Just got back from White Pass near Glacier Peak. I think I actually met the guy who weighted down his tent with rocks, while he was packing up late Wednesday afternoon to hike back to the trailhead that evening. He said it was a windy site... Some photos of the trip. Also got some panoramas (hopefully) but have yet to stitch them together. https://www.flickr.com/gp/151204684@N08/k34mAT (I think I left a black neoprene steripen case at the outlet of the boomerang shaped lake in the glacier basin. On a rock. If anyone finds it, please PM me!!!)

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 8:16 pm 
Cape Scott Vancouver Island. 7 hour drive from Sidney to Port Hardy. 42 miles of logging road to trailhead. 10 miles to 1st beach. Howling wolves woke me up in middle of night. On the trail next day saw 1 pup 75' away. Gone in a flash. Young couple saw 4 pups the day before. Hike west to Guise bay past very popular and crowded Nels bight. Beach covered with wolf tracks. Guise Bay, very beautiful. Hang for 2 nights then cross over to Experiment Bight. Couple dayhiking to lighthouse see a pack of 7 wolves on shore. We travel east down shoreline. Tide pools, pocket beaches and a big black bear, back to Nels Bight. Stay one night. Hard to leave. Wolf walks by 40 ' away in broad daylight. Not bothered by people. This place is very cool. Well worth the effort. Too lazy to post photos. Wife injuries achilles tendon. Ends up on crutches. She can't wait to do it again.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 9:09 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Cape Scott Vancouver Island. 7 hour drive from Sidney to Port Hardy. 42 miles of logging road to trailhead.
Nice report. I once drove from Campbell River to Port Hardy for the day/night. Even being there felt remote. Hard to imagine driving 42 miles of logging roads after that. Wow. Your description of the wolves and bear make it sound like going back in time. The beaches look beautiful from looking at a map. You all sure made an effort to get out there. ~z

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Aug 25, 2017 11:46 pm 
The logging road was 2 1/2 lanes wide well graded. Car or truck ahead of you is what slowed you down. Logging trucks have the right of way, yield or get crushed. Scarlet Ibes in Holberg last stop or 1st stop depending on direction, cold beverages and chips. Nice sundeck. Go, you won't be sorry.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 27, 2017 8:33 am 
Quick TR for Cady Ridge/Little Wenatchee River loop so I don't hijack another thread. I'd done it once before a little later in the year, great fall colors throughout. Right now it's in a transition period. Still a few flowers. Starting to get a bit of fall color. Blueberries galore! A few of several other kinds of berries. Cady Ridge and PCT section are in excellent condition. Then the Little Wentachee....I've come down it twice previously. I don't love that trail, it's a bit brushy but it's a good way to close some loops. Well apparently the two previous times it was nowhere near peak jungle density. Yesterday it was absolutely obnoxious. Probably the most overgrown actual maintained trail I can remember being on. Roughly 50% of the distance between Meander Meadow and the trail head traversed meadowy areas with brush totally encroaching the trail, often couldn't see the trail or my feet. Maybe I was just tired, but I really did not enjoy the last several hours of my trip yesterday. Everything up til then was great though.

Lilredexpress

Lilredexpress
PostWed Aug 30, 2017 9:44 pm 
Saw a black bear 10 minutes below the summit of Mt Dickerman today. Got kinda spooky for me. I was last one coming down this afternoon, and stopped for a break near all the berry patch / open area. Ol Blacky was chomping berries next to the bloody trail and even decided to stand up for me on his hind legs. He promptly started to run parallel to the trail in my direction when I started to talk to him. I think it spooked him and he ran before he knew where I was. My shaking hands and legs didn't stop for about 30 minutes. My dog never knew what was going on. Second hike back in Washington after being gone two yrs in NC. What a return. No smoke or haze around summit or surrounding Mtns. But hazy past the Mtn Loop mtn ranges. Hot in exposed sun area's up top. Saw nice couple about 3:30 headed up, gave them a heads up to be alert near the meadows below the summit before you get to the open area.

reststep

reststep
PostSun Sep 03, 2017 1:17 pm 
Beautiful Any sign of a trail?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir