Forum Index > Food & Grub > Dehydrator n00b
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostTue Mar 25, 2014 1:26 pm 
I know this has all been covered before, but I just got a new-to-me American Harvest Gardenmaster. So if you all would be so kind, what are 1. Some basic tips and tricks, and 2. A few painfully simple recipes I'm already planning on fruit leather, and spaghetti (removing all the fat/oil possible).

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Mar 25, 2014 4:28 pm 
my own personal adventures with the dehydator last summer aided by none other than the trail cooking diva Sarbar things I learned: > the spaghetti sauce worked the best out of the three recipes I tried. > the lamb stew was a total bust- I should have started with ground lamb. > parchment paper is cheap at Costco. > when you dehydrate stuff, you concentrate the salt, so go easy on the salt in preparation. (see page 2 of the above-cited thread) > less fat content = longer storage life. > Trader Joe's "Punjab Choley" is way spicier than "Tasty Bites Channa Masala" from Costco. > rice is a poor choice for trail food: nutritional value pound for pound pales in comparison to pasta, and it requires a stove with low simmer capability. > capellini (angel hair) cooks faster than farfalle, penne, spaghetti, linguini, or any other pastas I tried, requiring less fuel in preparation. Sarbar is clearly the go-to source for any other hints/advice. She has all kinds of information on her website, and has posted all kinds of helpful information here as well. feel free to use/redistribute/link to/publish any and all of my photos or text from the above-cited thread.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostTue Mar 25, 2014 8:22 pm 
Chili dehydrates well. Make some for dinner, dehydrate the rest for dinner on the trail at another time. I would store most of my dehydrated stuff in the freezer for longer shelf life.

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostWed Mar 26, 2014 1:34 am 
Dinner leftovers, don't toss them, dehydrate them..

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Mar 26, 2014 9:39 am 
Ranger Rock wrote:
Dinner leftovers, don't toss them, dehydrate them..
Yep, no extraordinary measures required. Most any kind of stewey or thick soupy stuff that you like at home will dehydrate well as long as it's not too oily. Not that a little oil is typically ok, will be absorbed by the rest of the food, and will add calories and richer flavor. Or leave it out and bring a little container of olive oil to add after rehydrating.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostWed Mar 26, 2014 3:00 pm 
That most of all? Have fun!! biggrin.gif If you are nervous, start with basics. One of the easiest projects? Drain canned beans and dry. Or spread frozen vegetables (small cut) and dry - no need to thaw. They are cooked as well! Very fail-safe smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Mar 27, 2014 7:27 pm 
DestinationUp: just occured to me I should have added to that list of "things I learned": > the 1/2 cup (dry) portion of spaghetti sauce just didn't quite cut it after carrying a pack for several miles, and I upped the portion to 2/3 cup. if you're feeding boys, you may want to do a "dry run" test on your portion sizes.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
DestinationUp
Gearluster

DestinationUp
Gearluster
PostFri Mar 28, 2014 8:39 am 
You guys are great...thanks for the tips and encouragement. Turns out we overbought on apples this week. With an old-fashioned red peeler and a standard issue apple slicer, I can put together overnight applesauce in under half an hour. The next morning I ladled it into my handy dandy dehydrator, and now my boys are drooling all over themselves to get just one more slice of cinnamon apple fruit leather.

Geek, wife, mom, Venturing Crew Advisor, perennially waiting for meltout.
outdoorgrrl

outdoorgrrl
PostTue Apr 01, 2014 9:37 am 
If you're interested in a class, I teach one through the Mountaineers, which is open to members and non-members. The next session is on Monday, Apr. 21 at 7 p.m. The fee is a nominal $5 to cover the cost of food samples that I make and provide for the class. Sign up here if you are interested! (Non-members must create a guest account on the Mountaineers website before sign up.)

Are you tired of eating mediocre, freeze-dried backpacking meals? Learn to create inexpensive, tasty meals for backpacking and climbing with the DIY Guide to Instant Backpacking Meals.