Forum Index > Partners > Mt Rainier this summer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
joemck

joemck
PostWed Mar 26, 2014 5:12 pm 
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum as well as new to Seattle. I've always wanted to climb Rainier but I lake the knowledge of the mountain to lead a group myself. I was wondering if anyone knew of any groups I can hook up with or would be willing to let me join their group. I have the majority of the gear I'll need and I'm in good shape (20.5 min 5k) and won't slow anyone down/ create any unneeded danger. let me know if you know anything, thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eppo

Eppo
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 7:27 am 
With all due respect I would not invite you or any other stranger to climb Mt Rainier regardless of fitness level or experience and I've led parties to that summit three times. Although climbing the "college" route is just a long walk it is still a technical route. Translation - All participants require rope handling skills. If I fall in a crevasse I want people up above with the skills and knowledge to pull me out quickly and safely. That takes experience you don't get backpacking! One or more people usually perish on the standard route every year. I would encourage you to join a climbing group like the Seattle Mountaineers, the Mazama's of Oregon or some other club. Boeing employees have a climbing group also. Perhaps Microsoft has one also - not sure. These groups specialize in teaching and training to climb NW volcanoes including Rainier. Generally speaking, it's preferred that you climb some of the smaller volcanoes to gain experience before attempting Rainier. Adams, Hood, and Baker are all excellent training. If you don't have the skills to climb these smaller peaks you should probably avoid Rainier until you do have the skills IMHO. Finally, 3 out of 4 people who attempt Rainier suffer Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS). Physical fitness does NOT correlate to improved performance or immunity from AMS. In my experience, some of the most "fit" participants get the sickest of all. If you think you are fit and skilled try climbing a dangerous mountain when you are vomiting and feel like you have a 102 degree fever. That's how many feel when climbing Rainier. Happy trails!

WolvesOfTheNight

WolvesOfTheNight
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 6:00 pm 
Basically, I agree with Eppo. If you want to join a group to climb Mt Rainier, you have two good options: Option #1: Find a hiking / mountaineering group, such as the ones Eppo mentioned, and spend some time with them on lesser trips. Get to know them and let them get to know you. Do some training with them. Get to where everyone knows everybody else has a reasonable chance of arresting a fall. Crevasses gobble people (and lots of gear) up on a regular basis. Maybe you are already up to Rainier; I don't know. You will have do demonstrate it to your group before going for the summit. Option #2: Go with a reputable commercial group. Follow their guidelines, and be sure to take some of their classes before the trip. Even if you know how to do it all, getting in the practice beforehand is important.

- WolvesOfTheNight