Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > The Overprotected Kid
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostFri Mar 28, 2014 10:26 pm 
Another frustrating part of this? Even if you don't want to overprotect your kids, and you don't get arrested for not hovering (I exaggerate, but still...), then everyone else is overprotecting their kids and there just aren't any neighborhood kids for your kid to run around with, unsupervised, outside, until it's dinner time. We've got the right age mix in our neighborhood for it to happen, but everyone is doing some activity or has to be constantly watched, and I'm sitting here thinking "Man, I wish my (nearly) four year old could just go run around outside with the other kids, who should also be outside!" (And seriously, why does everyone keep their kid inside in the rain?! What's the first thing my daughter says when the rain *really* begins to pour? "I wanna go outside!!!" And she does. But there's NO ONE else out there. Well, sometimes I go, but sometimes I just open the window so she can call if she needs me.)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 6:15 am 
Ski and all, or climbing up into the tops of young cottonwoods with five other boys, getting the tree to swing back and forth until it snapped and then riding it to the ground. Yep. Been there. Done that. Also, back home in the hardwoods of Indiana we had invasive Oregon grape vines draped on many of the big trees...Osage orange, sycamore, cottonwood. A few quick chops of a hatchet would free the bottom, allowing us to swing like Tarzan through the sky. Of course, the vine would usually break or pull out from above, often at the apex of your swing, resulting in a crunching fall, knocking the wind out of you, doing the chicken, while your friends rushed about, gloating at your misery and judging your spontaneous deceleration. winksmile.gif winksmile.gif Tom

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 7:48 am 
There is a "Children's Museum" in Olympia that my friends, the munchkins go to. I haven't been there. I guess it is an indoor, can't hurt yourself playground and also now has a man made creek outdoors with concrete, permanent stepping stones. Fortunately, those kids get to go to their grandparent's place which is smack dab in the middle of the woods and they get to feed the cows and even sit on grandpa's lap and "drive" the pickup. A four year old can get distracted easily, so grandpa is on alert and usually takes over once they are out of the big hayfield.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
touron

touron
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 9:49 am 
This brings up an interesting question. Suppose it was mandated that bicycle helmets must be fitted and sold with each bike purchased, but it was not mandatory that they be worn. Would they be worn?
tmatlack wrote:
Ski and all, or climbing up into the tops of young cottonwoods with five other boys, getting the tree to swing back and forth until it snapped and then riding it to the ground. Tom
I remember this too.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 2:33 pm 
There is an article online about a woman who had he child removed by CPS because the mother told the teacher that she and her child (age unstated) had walked "16 miles" together. The mother objected to CPS, explaining that it was actually "only 6 miles" but CPS kept the kids anyway, because I guess walking 6 miles is considered child abuse.

Badger

Badger
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 2:57 pm 
touron wrote:
tmatlack wrote:
Ski and all,or climbing up into the tops of young cottonwoods with five other boys, getting the tree to swing back and forth until it snapped and then riding it to the ground. Tom
We did that as well- what a blast! We played chicken with Jarts. Nerf is for wimps. When my parents saw an ambulance their first thought was always- 'which kid is it this time'.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 3:03 pm 
kbatku wrote:
There is an article online about a woman who had he child removed by CPS because the mother told the teacher that she and her child (age unstated) had walked "16 miles" together. The mother objected to CPS, explaining that it was actually "only 6 miles" but CPS kept the kids anyway, because I guess walking 6 miles is considered child abuse.
My bro has 3 boys. He has always maintained that the distance in miles they are capable of walking roughly matches their age in years. In fact the boys have well exceeded that one to one ratio. Maybe he should be reported to CPS as well, but they seem like healthy, happy, well adjusted kids.

Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 3:38 pm 
kbatku wrote:
There is an article online
Link, please.

touron

touron
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 3:52 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
kbatku wrote:
My bro has 3 boys. He has always maintained that the distance in miles they are capable of walking roughly matches their age in years. In fact the boys have well exceeded that one to one ratio. Maybe he should be reported to CPS as well, but they seem like healthy, happy, well adjusted kids.
We went on an excursion to Mt. Rainier with my nephews last summer. The youngest one I had to pull up the paved Glacier View trail, him dragging his feet all of the way...all of the way that is until he got to the first snow field. Then he was suddenly running up and down snow hills with a boundless enthusiasm. Sometimes environmental factors determines how far one can travel. hmmm.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 4:42 pm 
When I was 5 I used to wander around downtown Kirkland alone and my Dad would send me downtown to get the paper for him every Sunday.. Now I can't even let my 9 year old play in the school yard next door without some busy body claiming neglect and calling the police.. sheesh... Several times my daughter's father (whom I am married too) has been accused of being a kidnapper, due his age I guess, he even got pulled over in a Washington rest area by the State Patrol who called me so I could tell them, no he's not a kidnapper, he's her father. In this city my toddler escaped the front yard and followed her sister to school and the police were called. I miss having property where my kids can roam a bit without anyone batting an eye. I don't know that it's any more dangerous.. most pervs attack family members, not strangers..

JPH

JPH
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 9:41 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
There is a "Children's Museum" in Olympia that my friends, the munchkins go to. I haven't been there. I guess it is an indoor, can't hurt yourself playground and also now has a man made creek outdoors with concrete, permanent stepping stones.
Really? Have you been to the Oly Children's Museum? It's pretty awesome! I wouldn't go every day or anything, but the Children's Museums are pretty fun spots for kids to play. I grew up climbing trees, running through the woods all day, riding bikes all around and playing kickball in the cul-de-sac with no adults around too. Now I live in Seattle and jerk offs drive 40mph through the neighborhoods, not even braking when they come to an intersection. Not exactly the kind of place you want your kid running in the street. That's not to say you have to hold their hand until they're 18 either - but a little extra caution really is necessary vs growing up in a more suburban or rural area. While there definitely are some super protective parents out there, I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Wearing helmets while riding a bike or skiing is overprotective? Actually spending time with your kids during the day instead of saying be home for dinner is scorn worthy? Give me a break.

nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSat Mar 29, 2014 9:51 pm 
JPH wrote:
While there definitely are some super protective parents out there, I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Wearing helmets while riding a bike or skiing is overprotective? Actually spending time with your kids during the day instead of saying be home for dinner is scorn worthy? Give me a break.
Helmets are an easily documented safety improvement with little to no downside. Not letting your kids be on their own, without parenting influence, DOES have a documented downside (though the research is just beginning). And, there is a BIG difference between spending time with your kid as part of a balance of attention between yourself, your kid, and your other obligations, and spending all your kid's unscheduled time with them because you're worried about the cops getting called on you if you don't.

iron

iron
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 7:35 am 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
Helmets are an easily documented safety improvement with little to no downside.
helmets IMV, helmets, like with many other pieces of "safety equipment" we use (avi beacon, ice tools, avalanche course, etc), actually increase the risk tolerance we take. but, in general, i fully agree with the article. as hotpantz and i sort out where we want to move to as we begin a family, the ability for the kid(s) to roam is paramount. i miss that part of childhood greatly and i feel quite sorry for those stuck in a city.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 12:06 pm 
I don't wear a helmet while skiing. I ski in control. I expect other people to do so too. When they first came out, I heard that ski shops needed yet another accessory to increase their profits. They did some excellent PR work. I'm in the non helmet wearing minority. Now, I fear getting run into by some irresponsible helmet wearer. I've skied for a lot of years. Been bonked on the head once back in the era of ski leashes. No concussion, just a bruise. I have noticed a lot more people seem to be going fast. Fast enough that they are not able to stop. That is more of a threat. Perhaps they only know that they are safe because they have a helmet on their head? It seems like a selfish mindset, just like speeders on neighborhood streets. When I first arrived in Up Nort Wisconsin, I thought it nice to see a couple of kids, riding their bikes, not wearing helmets, and carrying fishing poles. Nobody was running out to lecture them, it was refreshing to see. Later on, the neighborhood kids were actually out in their yards playing tag football on their own. Yards weren't fenced there. I don't know why. It was nice, it turned what could be a lot of little yards into one big field.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostSun Mar 30, 2014 12:16 pm 
iron wrote:
nuclear_eggset wrote:
Helmets are an easily documented safety improvement with little to no downside.
helmets IMV, helmets, like with many other pieces of "safety equipment" we use (avi beacon, ice tools, avalanche course, etc), actually increase the risk tolerance we take. but, in general, i fully agree with the article. as hotpantz and i sort out where we want to move to as we begin a family, the ability for the kid(s) to roam is paramount. i miss that part of childhood greatly and i feel quite sorry for those stuck in a city.
While I don't have time to read all the links attached to the link you posted here, that looks like general information, and doesn't look like information related to childhood. And, to be fair, I've got a (nearly) 4 year old, so I really care far more about the data specifically about children (and not, say, bike commuters). And the development of the skeletal structure and brain is different in kids than adults, which influences the severity/nature of the injuries.