Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ceramic or porcelain / metal crown?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TokyoTessie

TokyoTessie
PostWed Apr 02, 2014 10:27 pm 
Don't try to crack a closed pistachio nut with your porcelain crowned molar: nut 1 crown 0. Fortunately for me, my dentist replaced it for free, it was under warranty or something, it happened a few weeks after I got it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
pnw.hiker

pnw.hiker
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 am 
Two crowns. One after a root canal, the other on a live tooth. Upper molars. Both gold with porcelain overcoat. Still perfect after ten and twenty years.

Washakie

Washakie
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 2:24 pm 
If you are under 50 yrs old, go with gold. If you are getting up in years (or you don't chew the food you eat) almost any of the alternatives are acceptable.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 3:14 pm 
I've had three crowns in the last 7 years or so and will need a 4th one soon, all on molars, all lower and the latest one upper. Same dentist did all of them, all of them porcelain, no root canals (yet.) Honestly, I didn't know there were different kinds of porcelain crowns, just knew there was gold and ceramic. I asked about the gold and my dentist assured me that the porcelains were fine and a lot less expensive. So far, no problems though one is on a tooth that's cracked vertically down to the root so that one may need a root canal eventually but it doesn't bother me unless I bite down hard on that side.

SusanHikes

SusanHikes
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 4:55 pm 
Gold on top but not on the bottom. The gold has more give but (for most) isn't as visually appealing and is often more expensive. Kind of gives you the best of both worlds. That's what my dentist recommended and I've been pleased. After braces, jaw surgery, etc. I ask a lot of questions and am willing to pay a bit more to make sure things are done well.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 7:51 pm 
my friggin dentist wanted 1200 for the crown....after the 950 root canal....now I hav a hot brazillian dentist at community health center....and the crown is going to cost 725$ total.... anyway THANK SO MUCH ALL RESPONDED here for the information...wow is that a sentance?

Dante

Dante
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 7:59 pm 
gray matter wrote:
Gold Pros: wears at almost the exact same rate as enamel. Superior fit on the tooth. Cons: ugly (ymmv), expensive. For this reason, gold crowns are going out of style.
I did gold on the advice of my Dentist and my father-in-law (a retired Dentist and a patient of my Dentist). Mine crown is on a molar, so the cosmetic issue was insignificant.

reststep

reststep
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 1:00 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
What's TGR?
I am not sure but I think he means Teton Gravity Research.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
hiker1

hiker1
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 7:15 pm 
Several crowns... one reason I'm poor. Gold crowns are not made entirely of gold, they're some kind of amalgam i think, so should not be too expensive. Most of mine are "gold". Dentist says everyone who eats hard food of any kind slowly creates tiny cracks in their teeth, that slowly build up until: tooth breaks. His advice: do not eat hard food of any kind. No nuts, no uncooked veggies, no hard chocolate, etc etc. Buy a blender and use it if you need to eat what would otherwise be hard food.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com