Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bad Reviews of National Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Conifers

Conifers
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:20 am 
From your fellow citizens!
Quote:
Grand Canyon National Park “The reason I give Grand Canyon National Park only one star as a National Park is that pretty much all of the really awesome things you could potentially do in the Grand Canyon are basically off-limits for a day tripper…I just don’t understand why they won’t build a road, aerial tramway, elevator, or SOMETHING that gives easier access to the canyon’s depths. To people who say that building anything would ruin the Grand Canyon, I would say this – did building a road into Yosemite Valley ruin Yosemite?” Joshua Tree National Park “In my own experience, I wouldn’t come back here. I don’t know how you go a day without showering if you’re spending time at the desert.” Mount Rainier National Park “This place was the worst!!! I’m not saying it wasn’t pretty, but it makes me remember an episode of the Cosby show where Vanessa is engaged to someone and Bill Cosby says that it was like a juicy piece of steak presented on a trash can lid. That’s what this place was. Mount Rainier served on a trash can lid.” Grand Canyon National Park “As amazing as the views are it is really kind of boring. Every 500 ft a new vantage point of the same thing: a really big hole in the ground. Don’t get me wrong, the canyon is amazing. What would be better is a guided tour of the canyon from open-air view trams via a very long (much longer than exists) rim side roadway. What would also be nice is Segway rentals, but I know the reason why this isn’t done is because someone would inevitably drive off the edge of the canyon to their death.” Yellowstone “When we got out of the car, the smell of sulfur nearly knocked my girlfriend off her feet and the stench followed us through the day as it clung to our clothes and hair.” Grand Canyon National Park “Whatever you do, be warned that there are no barriers around the edges which fall about 300-900 feet into the depths of the Canyon. Do not take pictures or have pictures taken of yourself without being serious. Do not hover about the Canyon whilst drunk. You will fall over the edge and you will die. Be warned in advance that 60 people have fell over the edge and, in 20 instances, people were posing for or taking pictures while hovering on a rock close to the edge.” Rocky Mountain National Park “We went up Sunday 9/11 to see the elk bugle. Because of all the elk fences now in Horseshoe Park there were NO elk there period. Are you kidding me a fall rut season and no elk in Horseshoe Park? Then we went over by Beaver Meadows, more fences and few elk there either.” Grand Canyon National Park “Look, the Grand Canyon is a very beautiful place. I loved the sights there. But I was bored after a few minutes. The only time I wasn’t bored was when I was standing inches from my death. There is no fence to stop you from falling thousands of feet to the bottom. You could actually stumble and die.” Arches National Park “I’ve been to a lot of national parks and this one was over-hyped in my opinion. Arches is no Yosemite.” Grand Canyon National Park “After driving and driving for about 50 mins, you enter the Grand Canyon to find TADA: A great big hole. Personally I don’t know how I feel about the grand canyon. When I first saw it, I will admit that I was not awed. After walking around and even attempting to get close to the edge (yes there are areas where there are no fences or gates to reinforce the perimeter) I became overwhelmed for the sheer fact knowing that a tiny burst of wind could plummet my body to sheer disintegration.” Olympic National Park “I’ve seen a lot better. Try going to Utah. You will be blown away by the parks there.” Denali National Park “If you are looking for real adventure, skip Denali.” Grand Canyon National Park “At first, I was amazed at the scale and grandeur of the Grand Canyon. The views along the 277-mile-long chasm are nothing short of awe-inspiring. But then it hit me: it all looks the same. There are various lookout points and interesting exhibits in the park, but I couldn’t help but get bored of seeing a giant trench in the ground. There is very little variation and few features.” Grand Canyon National Park “The one day that I had to spend at the Grand Canyon was flooded with fog. We could not see a thing. I would not have known there was a canyon there, had I not been told. I was disappointed that although I got there at 4:30 pm and there was zero visibility, the park continued to collect the $25 dollar fee per car.” Arches National Park “Really pretty and dramatic in some vista spots, such as Park Avenue, but to get anywhere close to an arch or two you have to be up for some serious hiking. Most disappointing, this should be clearly noted in the Park literature.” Canyonlands National Park “If you have seen the Grand Canyon, it is not clear why you would need to make the three hour round trip drive from hwy 191 and back to see Canyonlands. This park is similar but 10 times wider and flatter.” Death Valley National Park “Don’t waste your time!! I have lived in places ranging from by the ocean to the desert, and I have to say this is the ugliest place I have ever seen. Most deserts at least have some color to them, creating their own special beauty, not here, there is a bit of color near the entrance, and a tiny bit inside, otherwise…I paid $20 for nothing but nasty rock and salt.”
http://www.adventure-journal.com/2014/04/the-aj-list-the-17-best-bad-reviews-of-national-parks-on-yelp/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:41 am 
Some of those people would complain that heaven didn't have enough pitchforks, fire and brimstone... lol.gif

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:45 am 
Most of the national parks are really crowded. We need a lot more reviews like these!

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:50 am 
Dumbass wrote:
“If you are looking for real adventure, skip Denali.”
lol.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:52 am 
Can't help noticing the Grand Canyon gets most of the hate. I haven't been to that one. I had to pick my jaw up off the ground when I went to Canyonlands though. Also this makes it really clear that most people who go to national parks - especially the big, popular, famous ones - don't want to leave their car and refuse to hike more than a quarter mile.

l'Emmerdeur

l'Emmerdeur
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 am 
Pearls before swine. Obviously Disneyland needs an RV park. Obviously that's not entirely fair, different strokes and all. Still, you see these folks every time you go to one of these places, wandering around wondering what they're even doing there. Also, the Battle Cry of the modern aesthetic and attention span being that if it's not your "thing," then it's "dumb." The worst part is that these people vote and would just as soon these parks became more like Disneyland. Sad. flush.gif

SEMPER IMPROVISIO -or- You can't always get what you want, but if you try some times you just might find that you learn how to Deal...
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 10:17 am 
I'm afraid that someone will listen to all the people complaining about the possibility of falling to their deaths at the Grand Canyon. And the park service might install fences.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 10:29 am 
Yeah, the trouble with the outdoors in general is that once you're out there, it's like -- now what? Once you spend, you know, like 5 minutes outside, you can't help but wonder what's the big deal?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 11:22 am 
Some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope. - Walter Brennan

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 12:05 pm 
l'Emmerdeur wrote:
The worst part is that these people vote and would just as soon these parks became more like Disneyland.
and that is why the Wilderness Act needs to be insulated from the fickle world of Politics and current fashion. To use the pejorative - lock it up!
Navy salad wrote:
Once you spend, you know, like 5 minutes outside, you can't help but wonder what's the big deal?
especially if you can't get a good cell signal and lose contact with all your twitface friends for more than 30 seconds - oh the horror of being alone with yourself!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 12:36 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
especially if you can't get a good cell signal and lose contact with all your twitface friends for more than 30 seconds - oh the horror of being alone with yourself!
True story. On one of my excursions up to the Enchantments, I overheard a group gearing up at the Colchuck Lake TH intending to do a one way hike thru the 'Chants fretting about losing a signal so they couldn't tweet their friends while they were in the middle of TRAVERSING THRU THE ENCHANTMENTS! I really wanted to slap them or say something snide, but I held my tongue.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 12:39 pm 
National Parks really are a treasure, but such a mixed bag. The very definition of tourist traps, hard to escape the "amusement park" mentality when you are visiting them. Some of our most beautiful places are in National Parks, so they are worth visiting. Fortunately many of our most beautiful places are NOT in National Parks so you can always go hiking/backpacking/etc. in Wilderness Areas and avoid the vast majority of the tourons.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 1:03 pm 
Interesting comments, some amusing. A few comments echo mine to a degree. After a day in Yellowstone, taking a quick look at Old Faithful and a few hot springs pools, I always got awfully sick of hot stinky water. Of course I never got tired of the scenery and wildlife. Yellowstone Canyon and the falls seem to take second place to the hot water for many tourists, but not for me. As for the Grand Canyon, visiting Zion and other such places before the GC made the latter a bit of a letdown for me. Of course it didn't help that I spent my formative years living amidst the colored rock formations of Utah, Colorado and Wyoming, so when I first saw the GC it was nothing new, just bigger. My main complaint about national parks is that they are too crowded! The last time I visited the Tetons, I stopped for the traditional view of Mt. Teewinot over Jenny Lake, and had to stand in line for almost 15 minutes. Getting away from the roads and crowds and out on the trails really helps. So does going in "off" season. Or the far less crowded National Forest wilderness areas.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 3:34 pm 
Kind of like reading product reviews on Amazon. Backcounty.com, etc -- Many times are product will have a bunch of 4 and 5 star reviews -- and then a couple 1 star reviews with comments like "these bike panniers are a piece of junk -- after daily use bike commuting for two years, they are wearing out!"

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 3:57 pm 
A lot of the national parks in other states are likeWA parks. You have to seek out the less traveled places Jenny Lake has always been crowded but if you go in from the Idaho side it is pretty empty and just as beautiful. Sout rime at GC is a tourist trip but the less frequent trails are pretty lonely. There are even quiet corners of Yosemite.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn