Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Bad Reviews of National Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ScottP

ScottP
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 4:02 pm 
Quote:
...did building a road into Yosemite Valley ruin Yosemite?
In fact, yes, yes it did.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 5:16 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
the Wilderness Act needs to be insulated from the fickle world of Politics and current fashion.
Very true! The original legislative intent of Wilderness sponsors Senators Frank Church, Wayne Morse, Mark Hatfield, Slade Gorton, Scoop Jackson, Dan Evans has been forgotten. So let's remember it...
Senator Frank Church wrote:
As the floor manager of the 1964 Wilderness Act, I recall quite clearly what we were tying to accomplish by setting up the National Wilderness Preservation System. It was never the intent of Congress that wilderness be managed in so "pure" a fashion as to needlessly restrict customary public use and enjoyment. Quite the contrary, Congress fully intended that wilderness should be managed to allow its use by a wide spectrum of Americans. I believe, and many citizens agree with me, that the agencies are applying provisions of the Wilderness Act too strictly and thus misconstruing the intent of Congress as to how these areas should be managed. Such policies are misguided. If Congress had intended that wilderness be administered in so stringent a manner we would never have written the law as we did. We wouldn't have excluded condemnation as the means for forcibly acquiring developed ranches within the wilderness areas. We wouldn't have provided for the continuation of non conforming uses where they were established - including the use of motor boats in the part of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and the use of airfields in the primitive areas here in Idaho. As these examples clearly demonstrate, it was not the intent of Congress that wilderness be administered in so pure a fashion as to needlessly restrict its customary public use and enjoyment. Quite the contrary, Congress fully intended that wilderness be managed to allow its use by a wide spectrum of Americans. Thus, the wilderness management framework intended by Congress was that the agencies do only what is necessary. In summary, if purity is to be an issue in the management of wilderness, let it focus on preserving the natural integrity of the wilderness environment - and not on needless restriction of facilities necessary to protect the area while providing for human use and enjoyment.

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm 
The government was holding Grand Canyon hostage when I tried to see it, so I can't remark first hand. I did hear that the average tourist "stay" at Grand Canyon is I think around 20 minutes. Just long enough to squeeze out a Tweet, I suppose. We spent many hours exploring (driving and hiking) the Sedona area and much variety there. Heard some complaints about that area too, as people spilled out of the tourist busses for their 5 minute pit stop at the trailheads.

friluftsliv
reststep

reststep
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 6:03 pm 
It can get very crowded at Paradise and I think it is great. People are there enjoying their park. If you don't like the crowds go to the elysian fields.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Boywonder

Boywonder
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 6:23 pm 
reststep wrote:
It can get very crowded at Paradise and I think it is great. People are there enjoying their park. If you don't like the crowds go to the elysian fields.
\ Yup I agree. The elysian fields is on my bucket list maybe this year or the next. Rainier is often crowded in the summer, that is why I try to park at paradise just before sunrise to get my summer hikes going. But there are treasures up there that only the locals know exist or go to. That goes for our other grand national parks. Most 'tourists' I am guessing don't go more than a few miles from the parking lot. Some of those complaints sure are funny.

Joe

Joe
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 8:13 pm 
When I was at the Grand Canyon last year, one of the tourist asked a park ranger if the canyon was man made.

Joe
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:03 pm 
The first mistake here is looking to Yelp for reviews of...anything.

ScottP

ScottP
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:05 pm 
l'Emmerdeur wrote:
Pearls before swine. Obviously Disneyland needs an RV park.
Done.

ScottP

ScottP
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:26 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
There are even quiet corners of Yosemite.
Agreed. Hike along the base of the big walls (encountering mostly climbing parties), get up on the valley rim for miles of great views as you gaze down on the crowds below. Escape to Tuolumne Meadows where there's 100's of acres of granite slab rambling. Head up to Clouds Rest or down the Tenaya Canyon descent from Olmstead Point to the Valley floor. If you aren't willing to travel off-trail, or off easy trails, you're destined to deal with the crowds.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 9:53 pm 
Several years ago we went up to the Haleakala rim (Maui) for sunrise. Standing around, freezing cold at 10,000 ft with a hundred or so folks enjoying the moment together. When the sunrise finally occurred (lovely, wonderful but not real dramatic) the lady next to me said "Is that all there is?" Yep, pearls to swine. Some folks just aren't happy unless they're unhappy. Doesn't stop me from enjoying those amazing places one bit! I love the National Parks and can't wait to keep seeing more of them.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Apr 03, 2014 10:47 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
Some folks just aren't happy unless they're unhappy.
Sad but true {sigh}

cairn builder

cairn builder
PostFri Apr 04, 2014 7:47 pm 
You realize a lot of these comments are "trolling," right? People are trying to be funny and to get a rise out of others.

hiker1

hiker1
PostSat Apr 05, 2014 7:20 pm 
cairn builder wrote:
You realize a lot of these comments are "trolling," right? People are trying to be funny and to get a rise out of others.
Some people have too much spare time; combine that with a bad temper, and this is what you get.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 2:24 pm 
ScottP wrote:
Quote:
...did building a road into Yosemite Valley ruin Yosemite?
In fact, yes, yes it did.
You were there before they built the road? --Gray

PostTue Apr 08, 2014 3:03 pm 
If you want to see what Yosemite Valley looked like before the road.....go to Hetch Hetchy. Be sure to take your scuba gear. http://www.hetchhetchy.org/

Retired Forester....rambling round www.usbackroads.blogspot.com