Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What type is your car?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

What type is your car?
Gas only or diesel powered
86%
 86%  [ 57 ]
Hybrid
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Pure electric
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Car?
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 66

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 1:08 pm 
I like driving small efficient 4 bangers. Some people like being involved by rowing their shifter, I like having enough power to keep me safe, but be reasonabley efficient and I actually have to drive the car, not just stomp my foot. I like a car to have some fun in it. Either driving a 2012 Impreza that can get 36mpg on average drives to trail heads, and is a blast to drive...but just doesn't have clearance. And just added a 2014 Forester 2.5L , which has gobs of clearance, fun to drive (not the Impreza go kart of course), and once broken in I should be able to squeeze 30 to 32mpg on average drives to trailheads. I am happy. Everyone at work seems to own BMW's. My subies are passé...

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 2:00 pm 
boot up wrote:
Everyone at work seems to own BMW's. My subies are passé...
Find a nice icy hill and challenge them to a race up and see who wins. lol.gif

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 2:02 pm 
Boywonder wrote:
Not to mention where are all of those old batteries going to go 20 years from now.
I suspect they have some system/plan for recycling them. I guess if you just drove your car off a cliff or something and left it that might be different. It's not like the average joe is gonna remove his batteries from his car and throw them in the garbage can.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:00 pm 
All hybrid cars have plans for recycling batteries cuz there's valuable stuff in them. Thing is, there's not much data on it because NiMH batteries in Priuses, Insights, etc. are lasting way longer than anyone expected. Lots of reports of Priuses with 200,000+ miles on the original battery.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 3:13 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
All hybrid cars have plans for recycling batteries cuz there's valuable stuff in them. Thing is, there's not much data on it because NiMH batteries in Priuses, Insights, etc. are lasting way longer than anyone expected. Lots of reports of Priuses with 200,000+ miles on the original battery.
Prius is being used for Taxis quite a bit, and as a result there is a huge business in rebuilding and recycling their batteries, and they have quite a track record for their longevity and reliability. Now if they could get close to Prius mpg on a fun/high clearance chassis, they would really have something. I find it odd that even Toyota can't come up with anything even in the ballpark of the Prius in any other form factor. Seems like all the other hybrids are "just a little bit better" than an efficient gas engine, versus the Prius that is in another world. I heard the Insight had problems with premature battery failure (before 10 year warranty was up) and had to tweak their software to get the battery life extended, at a significant hit to fuel economy.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 4:02 pm 
Raise it up and you lose lots of aerodynamic efficiency, which is a BIG part of Prius's fuel efficiency.
boot up wrote:
Seems like all the other hybrids are "just a little bit better" than an efficient gas engine, versus the Prius that is in another world.
I got 59MPG today, 72 miles, 70% hwy/30% cit, just a little bit better than what? wink.gif Prius gets better MPG in the city. But, Prius and Insight have pretty much the same hwy MPG, sometimes Insight is better, e.g., rolling hills, because it's lighter. EPA course =/= real world conditions.
boot up wrote:
I heard the Insight had problems with premature battery failure (before 10 year warranty was up) and had to tweak their software to get the battery life extended, at a significant hit to fuel economy.
Failure? confused.gif Honda Insight battery failure warranty replacement rate is 1 in 40,000 (same as Prius), i.e., extremely rare. FTR, the MPG figures for the Insight went UP 1 and 2 MPG for model years 2012/13 due to a software tweak and aero tweaks, so, no, it didn't go down. Maybe you are confused re MPG of gen1 Insight (2 door, Al alloy body, death trap) vs. gen2 Insight? One part of driving a hybrid is hearing all the hybrid hate.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 5:32 pm 
Four vehicles all diesel! Ill never buy a gasser again!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
nuclear_eggset

nuclear_eggset
PostMon Apr 07, 2014 7:20 pm 
tigermn wrote:
boot up wrote:
That's why you get a AWD BMW. Honestly, my husband's 325i is WAY more fun to drive on any reasonably paved road than my Outback. It's got better handling, breaking, acceleration... It just drives better. Even with the steering starting to drift as it needs its 120k mile service. My Outback is more practical as a "load up all your stuff" ski/trail car. Not to mention toting 1-2 kids and a dog around here and there. So I drive it and will keep it. If only I could put the seats for his car into mine, because the Outback seats (2007, anyway) are terrible. We considered and X3 when looking for the car that became the Outback. We stopped considering after reading the price tag. Because OUCH!

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:38 am 
Subie AWD is mo betta than BMW AWD

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 6:58 am 
Was in Eugene last week, saw a Prius with a 5.7L HEMI emblem on it. lol.gif

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 9:28 am 
I miss my bio Benz so much...but we couldn't put car seats in it, nor could we fit a family of 5 in it. So about 2 years ago we sold it to a good friend. He has made it into an amazing car. He is kid free though ;-) So at least someone is loving the great mileage! Him and his wiener doggie go all over in it!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 10:17 am 
nuclear_eggset wrote:
tigermn wrote:
boot up wrote:
That's why you get a AWD BMW.
I'd still take the Subaru, even with the lesser powered engine handicap (if there was one). Just make sure the hill is steep enough lol.gif Most AWD's are really AWD added on top of a platform of RWD or FWD. Thus you see a lot of SUV types that come in 2WD versions as well. Yea on dry level pavement, you don't need AWD, but how often is the pavement dry and level around here?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 1:06 pm 
So how does my WRX fit into the typical Subie mindset? Yeah, it's got that great Subie AWD system and is literally the best vehicle I've ever owned for dealing with snow covered roads (including 4WD trucks) where the snow isn't more than 6" deep. But, it has poor ground clearance, made worse by putting 1" lowering springs on it last summer, and it doesn't get very good gas mileage unless you drive it like a total grandma, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a turbo'd engine with ~100 more HP than the non-turbo. I dunno. i kind of miss getting 38mpg from my Corolla but I don't miss all the things that car didn't have (like power, comfort, handling). Something like a hybrid Forester/RAV4/CRV/CX-5 seems like it would make a lot of sense. You'd think it would significantly boost mileage in around-town driving where those vehicles are the worst. Aerodynamics is kind of a non-issue for city mileage.

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:50 pm 
11 Year old Honda Civic Hybrid (2003). Been getting me to most trail heads. I can't say that we necessarily get that much better mileage than low-end Civic (~42-45mpg). We currently have ~120,000k. We had to replace the battery about 6 months ago. I had absolutely no power going up hills the last year. My husband ordered a third party replacement battery from Bumblebee Batteries in Portland. There are great videos on Youtube on how to DIY replace the batteries in the Honda Civic. He had it done in about an hour. The hardest part was lifting the 70lb battery and taking out the backseat. There is $500 core deposit on the battery that is refunded when you ship back the old battery. They provide all material and arrange the shipping. Easy Peasy. Overall the experience was excellent. My only complaint at this time is I would like more cargo space for car camping. We load fully load the backseat and trunk on trips. I may also want to tow a small trailer in the future. I'll be looking at something like the Outback/Forester.

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Apr 08, 2014 7:56 pm 
marta wrote:
There is $500 core deposit on the battery that is refunded when you ship back the old battery. They provide all material and arrange the shipping. Easy Peasy. Overall the experience was excellent.
First time I think I never saw someone post about replacing a battery in a hybrid. How much does it cost to mail back a 70lb (or whatever it weighs) battery or is that all included in the price of the new battery?