Forum Index > Pacific NW History > LEM Lookout & Minot Peak Lookout
Previous :: Next Topic  
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostTue Jun 21, 2016 11:49 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Having studied forestry and my years as a forester, this area (Clemens Tree Farm) was of particular interest to me.  The exact location of LEM had been lost so it was a thrill to find the footings.  Building date...still unknown, removed date...still unknown, height...unknown, living quarters...unknown, location now located, elevation also determined.  So more work to be done.

Access to the general public was always allowed until the last few years when Weyerhaeuser started a permit program.  For access now, you need a Aberdeen General Access Permit.

Learn about this piece of Washington history at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEP7xTa2lg
Radio broadcast of the "Farm and Home Hour" from June 1951 discussing the 10th anniversary of the Clemons Tree Farm in Montesano

Access to LEM Lookout Site
Access to LEM Lookout Site
Footing well hidden
Footing well hidden

LEM Lookout Report

From LEM, it is a 5.5 mile bike ride over to Minot Peak, with 1,000 feet of prominence and former L.O.
http://willhiteweb.com/washington_fire_lookouts/minot_peak_lookout/clemons_tree_farm_047.htm

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jun 21, 2016 2:38 pm 
Wow, the writeup of the history of the Clemons Tree Farm and its impact is great! Thanks for this!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RodF

RodF
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 10:42 am 
Love those old 1940's maps!  Did they plant other species other than Doug fir?

--------------
"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir
"the wild is not the opposite of cultivated.  It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostThu Jun 23, 2016 11:03 am 
I'm uncertain, most of the articles don't say but I would guess just Doug-fir.  It took years just to figure out how to maximize that species for "farming".  Even then, they didn't know if it would be worth the risk.  There is a good read here:
http://87966855.weebly.com/george-weyerhaeuser-sr.html
Even today, when I was a forester doing tree planting complience, planting Cedar or White Pine was risky and we didn't order that many each season.

There is an even better cartoon map of the tree farm I will email to you.  It shows the lookouts but they are way off the mark so I didn't include it in my report.

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Pacific NW History > LEM Lookout & Minot Peak Lookout
  Happy Birthday bobbi!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: